The Golden Cross
$83
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$59
$57
$110
$106
Hotels.com
Morgans - The Exchange Hotel(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$67
  • Room Service
$70
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdauphinoise potatoessmall portionsmain courseate herepuddingvisit shrewsburycharacterstartersroasthosts
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We went for our works Christmas 'do' it was a large group who had preordered. The spicy soup was really lovely. The traditional turkey was a small portion, I had to ask for my roast potatoes because they had been missed off during service. There was plenty of veg available. I had cheese for desert which was really 'fiery' a couple of my colleagues couldn't eat it due to the heat! Again the food was nice but not to the same standard which I have had previously.
The restaurant had been through a refurb since my last visit and it is looking really lovey, I love the linen table cloths.
I will no doubt return but it won't be my first choice for a while.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed here last night, for the first time, although we have had dinner there a few times before. I can only say they place is enchanting...from the first peek through the mullioned windows, where twinkly christmas lights willed us to come and explore. The bedrooms were just lovely. The rooms we stayed in were fairly small doubles, but everything was there. Brilliant rain shower in the bathroom, extremely comfy bed. Just attention to detail throughout. We had a nightcap in the bar last night, and the staff were lovely, welcoming & friendly. This morning we were again welcomed into the room for breakfast, and it was faultless. We were actually at breakfast for an hour & a half as it was just so lovely, we were offered more toast or coffee countless times. Brilliant staff, hosts. Magical & enchanting :)

Room Tip: If you want space, pay for the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shar M
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

My partner and myself love this place its our special occasion restaurant!!!! The food is beautiful, wine list is lovely and the staff are attentive we will definitely return for future celebrations and maybe one night stay in the hotel

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I went here to celebrate a special birthday. I sent feedback to the owners and didn't get a response which isn't great as I was being objective about my experience. While the restaurant & ambience was lovely, the food wasn't. Main meal being cold and as they quote 'the best fish & chips in town' well the chips were hard,dry and insipid looking. The fish was very nice as was the fish starters. Quite disappointed to be honest and will not be going back for another meal.

Room Tip: Didn't sleep there as I live local!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank v j
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Where do you take traditional 87-year-old Mother who doesn't like too much on her plate for her main course but loves meringue, and a vegetarian to eat on a Sunday evening? The Golden Cross. Their new menu is great, especially for veggies because they have a choice of starters and main courses - proper food, not token a token pasta dish! In fact two meat-eaters also opted for vegetarian mains, they were so interesting. Mother was very happy with her chicken, creamy mash and baby carrots, then polished off the meringue topped with her first ever lychee. The Golden Cross is known for its quirky decor and this weekend Christmas had arrived, with a lovely light touch and plenty of twinkling lights. Oh, and the wine list is good too.

Room Tip: We didn't stay overnight but I bet the breakfast is fab.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family