“Second helping”

Ranked #5 of 55 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Second helping”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

After enjoying the Old House Suites so much last September (2012), when I stayed in the Thomas Bromley Suite, I wanted to come back. And I am so glad I did! It was just as excellent as before, The Walters are such a welcoming family - the visit was faultless, their hospitality superb. They offer a great breakfast choice of Full English with local produce - but you can tailor it to your own preferences if you want a lighter start to the day. But what really makes a visit here is the extra little personal touches...like the owner's historical tour of the wonderful house; the spacious suites; the offers in the fruit bowl, hamper or a bottle of "bubbly". And then of course there is Shrewsbury itself - a gem of a town, and the beautiful nearby Ludlow and Shropshire hills.

From conversations with my fellow guests the verdict was unanimous - this B&B is a real treasure of a find, I think we are all planning return trips!

Thank you Tony, Mary and Fred for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
aragon1, Owner at The Old House Suites, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you so much for such a great review and for taking the time to write about your second visit.. It was great to welcome you back to The Old House and we are so glad you enjoyed another stay with us! Hopefully we will see you again soon! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year from Fred, Mary and Tony.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was our second visit to the Old House to celebrate our Anniversary, we had the pivilage ofstaying here 2 years ago for our wedding. This time we stayed in the Mary Tudor suite and it was fabulous. Many thanks to Fred, Tony and Mary for your hospitality.

• Stayed November 2013
aragon1, Owner at The Old House Suites, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
It was such a pleasure to welcome you both back for your anniversary! Time goes by so quickly! Hopefully we can welcome you back again in the future! Best wishes Fred, Tony & Mary
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A wonderful place to stay!

Firstly, the most important bit for me was having Indi the cat come and say good morning to us on our first morning! Tony and Fred were also very hospitable and friendly (I'm sure Mary is too but she was away during our stay).

Fred helped us in and showed us our room. It was breath taking to look at. First the practicalities: A small cubby hole cupboard made for an spacious wardrobe and housed a set of drawers. There were plenty of places to store items. The bath was a stand alone style and filled quickly. The shower was poweful and as hot as you would like it to be. Good quality toiletries supplemented what I had packed and gave me the chance to try out some Crabtree and Evelyn handwash which was lovely.

The bed was beautiful to look at and the pillows were plump, soft and I loved the duvet that sunk over me. Again, a must have buy for myself at home!! The sofa was comfy but I preferred perching on the window seats to view the river and English bridge whilst looking over the garden that had a fabulous birdie feeder. The room was wood panelled and had a wonderful fireplace. Luckily, the weather was mild so we had no need of this. There were ample mirrors and the small dressing table with a lovely chair were useful. I think the pictures say far more about how stunning the room is than my words can.

The best minibar! Local real ales, well priced drinks and good quality food items. If only we had not been out for supper both nights! We had a bottle of fizz that made for a great start to our stay. Earl grey tea (normal tea also available) was a bonus too. The coffee jar was full and our milk replenished as we required.

The tour was enthralling and I cannot wait to look into Thomas Bromley even more. I won't go in to details about some of the tour as this would spoil it for those who go on it but some moments were jar dropping for a tudor fanatic like myself! Tony reallt was able to bring the tudor times alive while we walked around. Very interesting!

Breakfast was very tasty- the use of local produce and free range eggs is something I value at home and appreciated this here - most places I have stayed before (not reviewed on here!) have not considered this. The breakfast room was a very beautiful library and over our two mornings, we sat at both tables. I enjoyed being able to be nosey and watch the morning travellers go by down Dogpole. Both tables were decorated with lovely, lush fabric table cloths and the cutlery and dining set were very clean and good quality. Again, small details adding to the luxury of our stay. First morning, we both had the full english and having been able to choose what I wanted, I enjoyed all aspects. Bread was very tasty also. I had to admit defeat as was still full from the previous night when we went for food at the Lion and Pheasant so decided to try the kippers for the last morning. Very tasty! A good choice! My husband had smoked salmon and rich scrambled eggs. Both mornings, we were full and happy!

We were sorry to have to leave as we felt very welcome and it is certainly the best b&b I have stayed in. Thank you for making my birthday weekend so lovely!

Room Tip: We stayed in Mary Tudor. I would stay there again - it was warm, large, cosy and the bed was comfort...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your 'terrific' review of your stay at The Old House. It was wonderful to welcome you to the house and to hear that your stay was so enjoyable and that you loved the room, the tour and the breakfast so much. We hope you can come and enjoy another break with us again in the future! Best wishes Fred, Mary &Tony
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have been wondering what to say about our two night stay at the Old House Suites. The house, which is centrally located in the old part of Shrewsbury, is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The Thomas Bromley Suite was extremely spacious and had lovely views towards the English bridge and the Abbey. We were wowed by Tony's tour, which brought the history of the house alive. It felt like a real privilege to be able to stay there.

Perhaps my uncertainty about how to review our stay stems from that sense of privilege - I never really felt at home. A number of minor incidents made me feel that families were not entirely welcome (perhaps I would feel the same way if I was letting complete strangers into my lovely and historic home). The disappearance of decorative throws and cushions from the bed after we had settled in. The "dos and don'ts" notes that were left around. The very sparse hospitality tray. Dietary needs (in this case, lactose intolerance) not being catered for, despite a number of weeks notice. Being provided with stale bread for breakfast.

I really did adore this house and wanted to rate our stay more highly. The house itself deserves five stars. Perhaps Tony and Mary need to reconsider their policies regarding allowing families stay in their home - a more restrictive policy may enable them to relax and allow their guests to enjoy their house to the extent that it deserves.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary D
aragon1, Owner at The Old House Suites, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Many thanks for your review Mary. We are really happy to hear you liked the house and Tony's tour. However, we cannot apologise enough that your lactose intolerance was overlooked during your stay. This is certainly not something we intended to happen. Of course if you had told us of our oversight during your stay we would have rectified this as quick as possible. And we are really very sorry that you didn’t feel we welcome families. We are a family of five children, whom all grew up in the house with the recent addition of two grandsons who definitely bring the house to life! We feel the Bromley Suite is ideal for families with children, young and old as it has two bedrooms which enjoy privacy but are separated by a small private corridor. We do hope to welcome many more families to The Old House in the future. We offer tea and coffee in all our rooms for guests to enjoy and we remove the decorative items of throws and bed runners after the first evening so that guests don’t need to remove every night before getting into bed. I am very sorry if there was a lack of tea and coffee in your room this certainly shouldn’t have been the case and we hope you mentioned this during your stay. We are a little confused by the ‘do’ and ‘dont’s’ lists you mention as we keep this to a minimum and just have the one sign in the bathrooms that use a saniflow system. Unfortunately the nature of this system and the problems we experience with it when used inappropriately means we have recently added the little sign above the toilet. We hope we have gone some way to answer the issues you flagged up and most importantly we hope you had a wonderful trip to the UK. We certainly enjoyed welcoming you all to The Old House.
california
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Yes, this is an amazing buidling over 500 years old and its all been said by other reviewers. Perhaps, its a question of expectations, but we found the Catherine of Aragon suite to be in need of some help. Yes, more then ample space, a great shower, but the furniture and couches were dirty and in need of new covers, the floors could use a good shampoo and vacum passed and for heaven sake's update the water closet with some modern fixtures. Yes, you visit a 500 year old inn to get "character" but there is no reason for the necessary furnishings to suffer. The shower area had been renovated with a very nice tile shower that was great. Nevertheless, the sink and toilet needed help! Funky is ok, but this was a bit too rustic.

The bed was large and great, but mysteriously, there was only a bottom sheet provided and no top sheet between your body and the covers. While I hesitated to ask if the covers were cleaned after every guest stay as I feared the answer, we just put up with it. But at minimum, there should be a clean top sheet. Pillows were, I'm sorry to say not up to standard either.

The host was more then gracious, from helping plenty with parking and making every effort to assist in getting the internet to work and suggestions for places to eat, etc. The location is fanastic and the house is indeed special with only 3 guest rooms. We never even saw another guest while visiting.

Shrewsbury is a fantastic town and this inn is so easily within reach of being a truly outstanding place to stay when these minior issues are addressed. I think the owners, who live on site, are a bit uncertain about the choice of having an inn availalbe for guests as opposed to just keeping their house private. I would love to see them truly commit to bringing this establishment up to the standards befitting its grand history.

1 Thank pandpCalifornia
Many thanks for your review and we are really very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in Shrewsbury. We felt the need to reply to your review so that we can answer some of the issues you mention about your stay at The Old House. We are a family run Bed and Breakfast which endeavours to restore the beautiful ‘Old House’ to the standard you mention over a number of years. As you can imagine the house has over 20 upstairs rooms and in time we hope all of these rooms can be restored. The Catherine of Aragon Suite is certainly our most characteristic suite and in fact our very first room to be opened. It is our intention to keep some of the quirky, but perhaps not so practical features of this suite and they are what make this suite different from our others. Unlike the other two suites, which are fitted with very modern sinks and toilets we chose to retain the grand throne style toilet and small enamel sink in The Catherine of Aragon Suite. We totally understand that this isn’t to everyone’s taste and should you have mentioned this during your stay we would have made every effort to move you to a more modern fitted suite if one was available.
Perhaps most pertinently we would like to address the issue where you question the cleanliness of sheets and pillows. All of our sheets and pillowcases, towels and robes are professionally cleaned between guests stays. All beds are stripped and redressed after every guests stay and each room is hoovered, wooden floors mopped and bathrooms cleaned during your stay. Unfortunately the oak floor boards are over 500 years old and as such we do not intend to treat them at this time other than with soap and water. It may be an English trait or perhaps just a family one(!) but we do not make the beds with an extra sheet between our bottom sheet and the duvet. Again we would of course provided this for you if you had mentioned during your stay. We aim to go to every extent to make our guests feel comfortable in their rooms and are always happy to satisfy requests while you are with us. I understand from Fred that you did not want sleep on the silk embroidered cushions with feather filling and that he swapped these for you on your request.
We are really very sorry we did not have the opportunity to rectify your problems during your stay. We only wish you had flagged these up with us when with when you were at the house. Fortunately it is not our intention to convert the entire house to a hotel or inn style business. We really believe that for most of our guests our family set up is a welcoming and homely one with the utmost privacy also on offer for a Bed and Breakfast accommodation. We certainly enjoyed welcoming you to ‘The Old House’, our home and our business, and I know Fred particularly enjoyed showing you our cellar rooms and the whisky chat!
Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2013

What a superb place to stay, spending time in the Mary Tudor suite was a pleasure, such a historical place yet with all the creature comforts one could require, breakfasts are plentiful and
very delicious, the hosts very obliging and helpful with Tony's house tour a special treat. In a great central location making exploring Shrewsbury very easy..... 2Ozzies

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
aragon1, Manager at The Old House Suites, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Allan, many thanks for your 'superb' review of The Old House. It was great to meet you both, to welcome you to The Old House and to find we have mutual friends in Australia! We hope you had a wonderful trip to the UK and especially to Shrewswbury. Maybe we will meet you again one day in Bendigo if not in Shrewsbury! Regards Fred, Mary & Tony
Sussex
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Very friendly welcome, great room, parking organised for us, wifi worked well. Breakfast was delicious, ideal location. Couldn't ask for better hosts, it was like being at home. You should definitely stay here and take the guided tour of the house, very interesting. Can't rate this B&B high enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Thomas Bromley suite. lots of room, lovely views, comfortable bed. Can't commen...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your lovely review and rating of The Old House. It was great to welcome you to The Old House and we are so pleased you felt at home during your stay. We hope to welcome you again to our home from home B&B in the future! Regards Fred, Mary & Tony