“Excellent Experience”
Review of The Old Bell Pub

The Old Bell Pub
Ranked #20 of 56 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I visited The Old Bell for a business trip in Shrewsbury and checked in around lunchtime. Because I was quite hungry I decided to eat in the bar. It was very busy and there seemed to be a large party booked in the other room (thank god!). Even though some members of the party seemed to be rather abrasive (!) the bar man on duty took it in his stride and I admire his patience. The food was great, basic pub food but very well cooked and the main thing tasty. Even though I had arrived before check in they didn't make me feel unwelcome. The room was tastefully decorated with all the amenities you would expect from a good b&b. The next morning I was given exactly what I'd asked for the night before - a great full English. I have quite strange dietary requirements and these were accounted for. Thank You for my stay.

Room Tip: I'd pay a little more and opt for the double.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went here for a works lunchtime leaving meal the other day. As soon as we gt there (and we had prebooked) we were treated like we were a nuisance by the flustered bar man. The food on offer was basic pub lunch - ie chips with everything and pretty basic. I opted for the chicken salad which when arrived was basically a few little gem lettuce leaves, a chopped tomato, some cucumber and a pile of grilled chicken on the side. Apart from rubbish presentation this was a pretty poor attempt at a salad. At £5 I felt ripped off as it would have cost me less to make and wud probably have taste much nicer. Despite our orders coming at different times I think the majority of ppl were satisfied with their food but again it was all completely basic. I'd say if ur looking for a cheap pub lunch in a place with a 'hurry up and get out' atmosphere then this pub is perfect. If not, I'd try the white heart up the road. Same food but a bit more choice and a nicer atmosphere! I don't think we will be booking another lunch there.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Whilst staying in the area at the local Holiday Inn Express we popped in for a bite to eat.. So glad we did nice surroundings, friendly staff, lovely food at good prices. If The Old Bell & its staff keep up this standard & service the place will do well & we will most certainly be back.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Sassy2112
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We visited The Old Bell following a recommendation from a friend and were not disappointed. Everyone in our party had spent time in the states (one having lived there for almost 10 years!) and we were all very impressed with the variety of options available and the authenticity of the creations. We sampled a range of burger / sandwich options in both chicken and beef and everyone was more than happy with all aspects of the meal. Service was friendly and easy-going, the food was also beautifully presented and given the number of mouthwatering options available, we'll all be going back again to try more. The overall ambiance of the place was calm and relaxed, but truth be told we only went for the food. We could chat and enjoy our evening together and add to this a smashing guest ale ('Me Duck') and you've got yourself a really pleasant evening. I should also say at this point that the desserts looked great, but nobody had room to try!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tojorising
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Visited this establishment after hearing good things from my friend. It wasn't busy but had a nice clean feel about it. They specialise in American burgers & I had a Kansas hickory burger.It was very well prepared and the fries presented in a little tin bucket with it were certainly a few gears up from a MacDonalds.My wife had a New York salsa burger which was equally enjoyed.
The only critisism I would have is the very nice waiter did not give us a look at the cheaper £5 menu, which would have been nice. We noticed this on the window whilst leaving.
However, it was a very good culinary experience and we noticed that all the burgers offered a choice of beef or chicken.They did other things but its a taste of America that makes this different to other places in Shrewsbury.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul247
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was the first time for us to visit this establishment and we are glad we did.The room was clean and well decorated and the food was lovely (we are still talking about it).Finally the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank spikem52
TheOldBellPub, Owner at The Old Bell Pub, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you for your feed back, we are glad you had a such a enjoyable time with us and we look forward to seeing you again if you get back in the area. It was a pleasure to visit with you and we hope your continued travels were enjoyable.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Although a short walk from Shrewsbury town centre the Old Bell in is well worth a visit if only for the delicious Tex/Mex food.
The bedroom was very clean modern and comfortable an the American breakfast truly Yummy! We also had great tasty food in the evening and the helpful friendly staff added to the experience.
We look foreward to staying there again and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: February 2013