“Pleasant food and surroundings, let down by the staff”
Review of The Bird's Nest

The Bird's Nest
Ranked #41 of 379 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I'm probably not the type of customer The Bird's Nest are aiming for, being Male, in my 20's and not nearly middle-class enough to appreciate the "quirky"-ness. However this wasn't my first time visiting a café, and i think i have a reasonably good idea of what to expect.

The first thing that let this place down was the staff, given it only has seating for about 20 people, and there were probably only about 12 people there when i visited, the 4 (yes, 4!!!) members of staff working all seemed incredibly rushed and harried. On receiving the first drink, we were asked whether we had received the other, which we had not, expecting the to come together. When our other drink arrived we were asked whether we were waiting for anything else, i.e. the food we ordered, we assumed it had been forgotten, so ordered again.

Thankfully, the food did redeem the place, my sandwich was very tasty and my friends soup was very generous, although being essentially outside it was a shown not to feel comfortable enough to take our coats off to eat our meal.

1  Thank ShrewsFoodie21

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Quirky little eatery in the Market Hall, Shrewsbury which is well worth a visit. Great for coffee but if you order one of the lunch specials, be prepared to wait longer than average.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

The word lovely is over-used, but the Bird's Nest is just lovely. Great coffee, delicious cakes, and an ever changing creative list of lunchtime specials. The Bird's Nest is our "go to" cafe in Shrewsbury.

1  Thank rob6981
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is the place that you go to relax... far away from those annoying and loud restaurants where you feel rushed to sit down, order, eat and go because there is someone else waiting for your place. Also, far away from all those peaky customers that are constantly unhappy about everything.

I love the cakes and light lunch options. The decor is very interesting and unique. I've been there many times already and I must say that this is the best place in Shrewsbury.

I don't really care about the timing- whether the service was slow, moderate, fast or too fast... If you want a good quality- you need to wait- just like at home (for your Sunday roast), if you don't... well, you know where McDonalds is, don't you?

3  Thank Amelie P
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I never thought I could get excited about a cheese and pickle sandwich but the one I had at The Bird's Nest was amazing! Gorgeous thick slices of cheese on fresh, soft, chunky wholemeal bread with a delicious chutney - yum yum! But that wasn't all....accompanying this mini feast was a little salad that had a mixture of leaves, fresh herbs and beautiful edible flowers in - wow! The fruit smoothie was a wonderful accompaniment. The Bird's Nest is also a winner for tea and cakes!