“Not a Four Star Establishment...”
Review of Sydney House

Sydney House
Ranked #22 of 56 Shrewsbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I prefer to stay in places that have a unique charm about them rather than the sterile environment found in the multi-national chains that cater primarily for the business user. But this has its drawbacks when you expect business style service. With a self appointed four star rating I was expecting either opulence through high quality decor, fixture and fittings etc. or high quality and service, sadly neither were the case.
That said, there is character in the building that makes the decor, which was fine but on the brink of being tired, seem strangely appealing. The welcome I received was pleasant and the service received during my stay perfectly adequate.
Travelling on my own, it was disappointing that having booked and paid for a twin room (the only one allegedly available) to find that I was apparently only entitled to one mug, one spoon and one chocolate sachet, rather petty I thought given the £59 paid against £38 rate advertised for single occupancy, although there were two or three coffee/tea sachets, but no decaff. On the last two nights I received none at all, but was told on checking out that they had run out of chocolate sachets, hardly a good advertisement.
On my arrival I discovered that breakfast was only served between 8am and 9am which is far too late for most business users, and definitely for me; and most probably too early for tourists, and without doubt not in keeping with its ‘4 star’ status. When I mentioned that I would need to be on the road by 7am I was told I could ask after 7:30am and they might do me some toast and a coffee, pretty useless I thought.
My room (No.2 on the first floor looking out onto the main street) was comfy enough, but one of the wardrobe doors was on its last legs and the radiator had to be ‘bled’ during my stay as it packed up and the room was cold. There was also a power failure of some sort during my stay, as all the lights went out on my first night during the evening. I was already relaxing in my PJ’s and couldn’t be bothered to explore the corridors in the dark so I retired for the night earlier than I had planned – but they were working again by the morning. My bathroom was on the small side, the basin was so small I couldn't put my arm in it to wash (always a good test) and with no shelf to put anything on so I had to go back and forth for my toiletries that had to be left in the bedroom; no shelf also meant no glass/cup provided to rinse my teeth after brushing.
The lounge bar was supposed to be open from 8pm till 11pm, but I never saw the shutters raised during my four night stay. But there are three good traditional pubs within 100 yards of the front door so no worries on that score.
The Sydney House Hotel is a good ten minute walk from the main town centre, where parking is not so easy, so consider this if you are specifically visiting Shrewsbury and you decide to stay here. On the plus side the free WiFi worked well in my room; the towels were of good quality and the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stopped one night in room 5, which is small, but has every thing you need.

The guesthouse was clean, and close to a few pubs and takeaways. As a good full breakfast is included, it is a very good price.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Pat C
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights last week and can only endorse all the good things said about this establishment. We were in room 2 on the first floor which was fairly small but with a huge comfortable bed. Even thoough we live in a very rural area we did not find the passing traffic a noise problem - in fact in was very quiet by mid-evening.

The breakfast was amazing and I had to ask for half portions as I could never have managed it all.

Very good value

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Have just stayed recently as a stopping point on a whistle stop tour of Wales. Arriving I had my hesitations but honestly for the price this hotel/b and b was fantastic. The lady who greeted us was brilliant and helpful in giving us directions to town and the best places to eat.
Myself and my partner had a room on the top floor, the room has dated decor, but honestly the room was clean, well presented, nice sized TV, plenty of pillows, the room was heated before we arrived, loads of tea/coffee/hot chocolate/biscuits etc, they really go to every length to make you feel relaxed and almost seems like a home from home.
Breakfast was fantastic, I think my only criticism is it was massive!
I can honestly recommend this little gem, the cost of the stay Vs. the experience just doesn't add up. Other Budget style hotels need to take a lesson.

Room Tip: Not sure on the rest of the rooms, but our top room was brilliant, best nights sleep Ive had in a lo...
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were in Shrewsbury for the excellent Rainbow Film Festival and although it’s only about an hour away from where we live, we thought we’d stay for a couple of nights, rather than driving to and from home.

We arrived at around 12, to a lovely welcome and were very pleasantly surprised to find our room was ready, so we quickly unpacked. There’s ample free parking, and as others have said, it’s around 5-10 minutes walk to the castle side of the town centre. Shrewsbury is a lovely town and well worth a visit.

Our room was Number 3 – it has two sets of windows which aren’t double glazed, so the rumble of the traffic outside is quite loud – if you’re a light sleeper, do take earplugs, and you might want to do as we did – put the ticking alarm clock outside in the lobby – it was actually going off the next morning when we went to retrieve it! We were a little worried that the room overlooked a pub, but that wasn’t particularly a problem, although someone did rev up their motorbike at around 11.30pm. The room is also above the hotel bar, but that was never open, so again, not a problem.

There is a streetlight outside this room, which the curtains don’t quite cover up, but it doesn’t prevent having a good night’s sleep. And at least you can find your way to the toilet fairly easily in the middle of the night! Not having net curtains, you do need to keep the curtains drawn when you need privacy, but the lighting is perfectly adequate.

The room is small – and shower room even smaller – but fine for a couple of nights. There are plenty of electricity points, but the wifi was a bit unfathomable as the code was very long, and my phone asked another question, so I gave up! However, the 3G signal was fine, and we were on a weekend away, so the internet wasn’t that important!

There’s the usual welcome tray, which includes hot chocolate and biscuits as well as tea and coffee.

Breakfast is served from 8-9, and was in a lovely room. There’s a self-service choice of juice, cereals, yoghurts, fruit etc, and the English breakfast is lovely, 3 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, 2 eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, hashbrown and beans – plenty to set you up for the day!

For a weekend break at a price that won’t break the bank, it’s hard to fault this hotel and we’d be happy to stay again!

Room Tip: There's quite a bit of traffic noise, so perhaps the rooms at the back are a little quieter.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here one night and it would have been longer if we'd found this one first! With three adults, the room was 'tight' but, in every other respect, just what we wanted. Beds were very comfy, bathroom a good size and all very clean. And an excellent breakfast offered next morning.
This seems a very well run, reasonably priced, friendly B and B. Would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

What a lovely clean welcoming hotel. We were on the very top floor so room on the small side but spotless and included all the amenities needed. The friendliness of the staff was 5 star and the breakfast was beautiful. A choice was offered from full English, and I mean a full breakfast, to kippers Poached eggs Etc, and the usual fruit juice, fruit and cereal. Private car park, with only a few minutes walk into town by the side of the River Seven Would recommend it A lovely relaxing hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor if you have difficulty with stairs. as they are very steep.