1,247 results
All reviews charles dickens hayward restaurant creaky floorboards car park coaching inn historic hotel travelzoo deal wyle cop lovely old hotel glass of prosecco old building steeped in history olde worlde three course meal high street centre of town lots of character
Selected filters
Reviewed April 9, 2019

Firstly, let me say the staff were really friendly and helpful. The car park posed an interesting challenge! The room was comfortable and quaint. As I went alone the bed was fine but a small double probably would not have been comfy for a couple.
On Saturday the cooked breakfast dishes were not well organised for a vegetarian, mushrooms with the sausages, but that was rectified on Sunday. Breakfast was fine.
My visit may have been really comfortable if the lift had not been broken, for 2 weeks, and my room on the third floor. Twice my key lost its data, being by my phone in a handbag apparently, and I had to take the 49 stairs again to open my room. I had picked the hotel as it had a lift!

Room tip: Don't choose the top floor!
Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
gmthelion, General Manager at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2019

Dear Anne D

Thank you for the recent review.

I am please to read that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. The issue with the lift was recently taken out of hands and we have been advised that it will now be out of action for the foreseeable. Whilst this is unfortunate, the decision was made on the grounds of safety to the customers. We are however doing everything we can to resolve the issue in a timely manner.

We are also looking into the issue with the key cards, as this can be problematic when they are stored next to phones and/or other cards.

I will of course pass on your kind words regarding the staff.

Regards

Reviewed April 6, 2019 via mobile

I can only echo the comments of the previous reviewer following a very poor dining experience at this tired and jaded town centre hotels restaurant. Sadly I'm a Shrewsbury resident and I was looking forward to our meal that was similarly bought for us as a Christmas present by our children but the disappointment was overwhelming.

Being a Thursday night we expected it to be relatively quiet but with only 4 other guests dining out besides ourselves the atmosphere was understandably 'flat'. The following three courses looked like they had been thrown together - a bag of cheap salad leaves covering some slivers of salmon, the same gravy/sauce for my belly pork and my wifes chicken and uninspiring desserts. Our chosen wine was not in stock (come on, reordering a few boxes of wine when stocks get low can't be that difficult).

The whole experience from the dated 80s decor to the lack of even a slice of lemon with the salmon starter was thoroughly miserable. I can assure readers that there are much better places to eat in Shrewsbury.

2  Thank Gaymeadow57

Dear Gaymeadow57

Thank you for the recent review..

After reading through your comments I have spoken to the team that worked that night. I am led to believe that there was in actual fact over 20 guests who dined that night, however as we are open all day, the majority of the evening guests dined earlier in the night, therefore making it look a lot quieter than it actually was.

I apologise if the quality of food did not met your expectation on this occasion. I would however, like to advise you and all the other readers that there will be a new Brasserie menu launching this week and i am confident that this will appeal to the wider audience.

Please do come back and try the hotel again in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed April 5, 2019 via mobile

A Christmas present voucher for a three course meal with Prosecco, (which we had forgotten) was due to expire on 6th April so I booked a table for Friday evening 5th April. No problem.
We arrived in good time - this hotel has a dilapidated look to it but it is a very old building so that could be forgiven. The restaurant was gloomy and the menu was scant to say the least. My wife ordered her starter - the ham terrine (spelt terraine on the menu) - and I ordered the deep fried Brie with cranberry sauce. The terrine was tasteless and the crispy outside of the Brie was marred by a cold and uncooked middle - the accompanying salad was much less than adequate.
There were four options for the main course and all of them included garlic potatoes (only). I queried this with the waitress who was probably not intending to be rude but had very little English and told us (I think) that this was all that we could have. I asked to see the manager who arrived about 5 minutes later and he quickly agreed that we could have boiled potatoes - so that was alright then.
My wife ordered the sea bass and I ordered the chicken breast. These meals arrived in due course (see photos). The sea bass was served the wrong way up and the plates were cold. A less appetising presentation was hard to imagine. The boiled potatoes were over cooked and soapy and the pan fried vegetables were completely tasteless.
We soldiered on in a rapidly emptying restaurant and when it came to the third course my wife had the brownie served in nearly a brandy sauce on a dish which must have come out of the fridge - utterly spoiled. I had the cheese and biscuits which according to the menu was £6 extra. The cheese selection was good and the biscuits adequate - the one highlight of the whole meal really. The waitresses were busily clearing tables and ignoring us - both well trained in sales prevention it seemed but we were able to attract the attention of one of them and ask for coffee. This was served quite quickly, the coffee and the milk coming in those nasty and ridiculous metal pots which are impossible to pour from without depositing considerable quantities of liquid all over the table.
We left at about 10 o’clock and I was asked for nearly £10 to cover the cost of the coffee and the cheese and biscuits. The voucher was worth nearly £70 so I worked out that the two slim glasses of Prosecco served at the start of the meal were valued at about £8.50 each!
This has to count as one of the worst, if not the worst restaurant I have even had the misfortune to visit and nothing would drag me back to it. The purist may enquire why I did not complain more at the time - frankly I did not see the point. Looking around the restaurant it wasn’t getting any better and by the time we finished our meal the place was deserted. I was sorry that the person who gave us the voucher as a Christmas gift will be disappointed too - I paid the extra required but not without protest.
I suspect that other spelling mistakes on the menu demonstrate a couldn’t care less attitude by the management of the Lion. This is one to be avoided.

Date of stay: April 2019
1  Thank Osmundsmith
gmthelion, General Manager at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Osmundsmith

Thank you for the recent review... due to the nature of your comments, i would ask that you contact me at the hotel at your earliest convenience so that we can discuss the points you have raised.

Kindest regards

Reviewed April 1, 2019

When booking it says double then next to it in brackets... (Kingsize).
I wouldn't have booked to stay in a standard double bed which wasn't very comfy or me
The shower was next to useless I'm sorry to say.... this was room 318.
Breakfast was ok but not piping hot. Quite a good selection also available.
All the staff are very pleasant polite and helpful. Thank you

Room tip: King size beds and better showers and I would have given you a 5......
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with compasshospitality.com

Dear Wanderer604124

Thank you for your recent review... i would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the staff and the quantity of the option for breakfast.

We have recently changed the operation in our restaurant and i am confident that this will resolve any of the issues you raised.

Regarding the comment of the bed, the hotel is at the start of a phased refurbishment and we have highlighted the mattress' as a key area for improvement, these have now been purchased and should be installed over the next few months, which will then remove this issue moving forward.

I hope that you will come back to the hotel and try us again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 31, 2019 via mobile

Booked the hotel for a stopover in Shrewsbury. Great location right in the centre with parking which is ideal. On arrival we were moved rooms due to our original room being above the bar. The room we moved to was incredibly old fashioned and in need of a bit of TLC. Bathroom fine but old and therefore not very powerful. Bed squeaked with the slightest of movement and also incredibly warm. Not a great nights sleep at all.

Dear beckigrocott

Thank you for your recent review...

The age and quirky character of the building is one of the biggest features of the hotel in-keeping with its heritage.

The hotel is at the start of a phased refurbishment and one of the first areas that has been agreed is to replace all of the beds and mattress' this has already been assigned and we are planning the install over the next few months.

I hope that you will try the hotel again in the future and i look forward to welcoming you back on your return.

Kindest regards