“Faded glory with issues”

The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had a utterly delightful stay in Shrewsbury , a lovely town on the Severn River and do not miss their 7'2" Town Crier If you go ! However the Lion Hotel though well located and historic showed signs of trouble . The desk clerk worked very hard to help us but she worked the desk alone and needed help . The whole place seemed understaffed . That alarm went off after 9pm several times and we were told they were testing it , at 9pm ?? Rather odd . The shower stall in our suite had no soap dish so we struggled to hold the soap and wash up . It also did not drain well and we stood in water which nearly overflowed onto the floor... Every day of our 4 night stay . One very cold night we tried to turn the radiator on with no success , we called the desk and still hot no heat . Eventually they brought us a space heater .

The common rooms and Lobby are wonderful and the limited staff work very hard but we got the impression that this hotel was run on a limited budget . The photos of the rooms shown here are of much nicer rooms than our suite which was rather bare and unattractive . Perhaps some are better than others .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had 2 vouchers for a three course meal at the Lion Hotel in Shrewsbury and took my son with me. I phoned to book the table the night before and was told that it was fully booked when I explained that it was my son's birthday, they said they could squeeze us in. We arrived 30 minutes before and enjoyed a drink in the bar, we went to the restaurant to find that there were only 3 couples there so a little 'porky' over the being fully booked.
However we had a gorgeous meal, my only complaint was that the Tempura Prawns were served on a slate plate, (I hate this). I asked if the main course was on slate to be told I could have a plate which I did. The whole meal was 5 star, we thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful and we will return. A nice grown up place to have lunch with my son. Thanks

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The starters were alright although I did not think the choice was wonderful. I did ask for mine with out olives but to no avail. The roast beef needed a steak knife to cut it and unfortunately I had to leave the majority of mine as it was not edible. On complaining I was offered another piece of meat but declined. The roast potatoes were like rocks. Again the choice of desserts were poor. We chose strawberries and cream but I think they had run out of strawberries as there were not many in the dish. The staff were pleasant enough. It was disappointing as I usually cook Sunday lunch for the family and it would have been a lovely change to have had a nice lunch out. The restaurant itself is very comfortable and The Lion is a lovely old hotel so it is a shame their Sunday lunch let them down.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Where should i start?.
Let me start with the good...The waitresses were very polite and helpful.
Now lets get started!.
This is NOT a Disabled friendly place.If you have difficulty walking then i would warn you that this is NOT the place for you.The restaurant is down a staircase to a half landing and down another set of steps before your able to get to your table.
If you require the WC then be prepared to walk a distance as it`s located at the other end of the hotel and down yet more steps.
The food...I noticed on the exterior door a round label that states it is in the `Michelin guide` for 2012,we our chef must have been a newbie!I had never had such a DRY burger in my life devoid of any substance that could be mistaken for meat.A scotch egg of pork and black pudding with a hard crusty shell.Not Michelin food as far as i`m concerned.
The rooms i cannot vouch for as we never stayed over-night.
We thought this was an episode from a `Gordon Ramsey ` program as our lunch was set for 1.30 and due to the waiting for each course we never left until 3;30 and the evening dinner we had pre=booked for was at 6,45 and again due to the waiting time we didnt leave until gone 9pm.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We spent 2 nights in the Lion Hotel while on a weekend break in Shrewsbury. The hotel is very nice to stay in with an excellent cooked breakfast served in a wonderful classy breakfast room by very friendly and efficient staff. The room was spacious with a very comfortable bed. You could hear some noise from outside from restaurants and bars although it did not give us a problem. Everything creaked a little bit in the hotel but this is normal with older buildings and the foyer and bar areas were extreely nice to relax in while enjoying a glass of wine. The location was absolutely perfect for exploring Shrewsbury and it was also handy to park on site behind the hotel. We would have no hesitation in staying here again and probably will at some stage.

Room Tip: My advice is don't pick a room near the lift as every time it operates it sounds like Dr Who lan...
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Have just had a weekend stay at The Lion, for a "Supposedly" 3 star hotel it failed miserably. I came executing an old hotel, well looked after with modern amenities coupled with old charm. I got too much old, but no modern amenities. Extremely noisy, because of no secondary glazing! Yes we must keep the old for posterity, but make use of what is available to help improve it. A beautiful weekend weather wise, so had to leave windows open, because no air conditioning. No Wi Fi, not even in reception. Had to pay for car parking, In The Hotel Car Park!!!! Could go on and on, but the headline says it all. Shrewsbury is a delightful town which will certainly visit again, it has so much to recommend it, but will not be staying at the Lion again.

Room Tip: NONE won't be coming again, suggest you don't try this hotel.
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed for a night only, but was pleased with this hotel. It's good value for money. The hotel staff were very friendly, the hotel has great character and the room itself was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good and catered for my needs being vegetarian. The location of the hotel is perfect as is in walking distance of all the restaurants and pubs etc. The room had very creaky floorboards but to be honest this only added to the character of the hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple