The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality
  • Restaurant
Lord Hill Hotel(Shrewsbury)
Love2Stay(Shrewsbury)
1,051 results
All reviewscharles dickenshayward restaurantcreaky floorboardscar parkhistoric hotelcoaching inntravelzoo voucherlovely old hotelold buildingwyle copglass of proseccoon site parkingsteeped in historycourse mealhigh streetcentre of townlounge area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Lion on 3rd May for one night. The room was on the small side but clean and very comfortable beds. The whole place had an Olde World feel about it - in fact the list of previous occupants reads like a who's who of history. The restaurant had great charm, but was spoilt by the fact we were one of only two couples dining on a Friday night! We chose the a la carte menu and the food was beautifully cooked and presented (makes you wonder why it was so empty)! The staff were very pleasant and the bar sold excellent real ales. There is also a very good pub just along the road - The Wheatsheaf sold great ales and excellent live music. All in all, although our stay was short, we had a very pleasant time in Shrewsbury.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I booked this on a KGB deal - what a bargain! It was a lovely old hotel - Charles Darwin stayed there! Creaky floorboards, wood panels, lovely stone fireplace, old furniture - just wonderful. Breakfast was plentiful and good choice, made to order full english breakfast, porridge etc. We ate in the restaurant on one of the nights, not pricey at all and well presented meals - compliments to the chef!

Staff were lovely, very attentive - we were allowed to take our two small dogs and they only charged £5.00 each per STAY - we've been charged upwards of £10.00 per night at other hotels! Car park was £10 per stay which is good value especially as parking is at a premium. The location is spot on in the middle of the town and a great base for visiting places. I would have loved to have stayed on the front, being able to look down the lovely old street, but you can't have everything :-)

Shrewsbury is a lovely place, nice little quirky shops - good restaurants - but would advise booking a restaurant as we found them full on the Saturday and Sunday nights - the Shrewsbury people seem to love eating out. We would definitely stay here again - lovely comfortable hotel, nice room, very clean, lovely crisp white linen, towels changed every day, some complimentary bathroom toiletries and complimentary tea/coffee/biscuits. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again - we couldn't fault it. If you love olde worlde and not a cold sterile Premier Inn this is the place you need to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a short visit to the area. Rooms lovely and clean, with lots of character. Little nooks and crannies while enjoying a tipple, in public areas. Beautiful ballroom/function room. Lots of history, maybe a ghost, though I never saw it! The food in the restaurant was superior, and absolutely delicious. Loads to do in and around. The water works let it down somewhat. Had to dance around under the shower to get wet! Also no extractor, and with no window! Although smoked salmon was on the breakfast menu, it was not available when requested? Unfortunate incident involving missing bed covers tainted the experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road, and a period room if you prefer that to refurbished. Also, rooms on top floor have low ceilings.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We visited at the end of april 2013. When we arrived, it was a very grand place, nice paintings/decorations, antique kind of feel. We went to the reception desk and i kind of felt quite unwelcome, Me and my partner look 'alternative' piercings/tattoos etc and I'm not too sure the lion is the kind of place that get a lot of customers like us, but as we haven't been away for a few months we thought we would splash out a bit on a more expensive room and it was brilliant location wise.

We were told the room wasn't ready yet, so we took a seat in the lounge and ordered some drinks, these were slightly expensive but i was expecting that for the kind of place it is. About 20 minutes passed and the room was ready, we stayed in one of the suites, which was rather overpriced i would say. It was a very large room, a big king size bed, a bathroom with toilet/shower, another bathroom with sink/bath and a little snook with chairs and another tv in. There were 2 tvs but very small 15" flat screens, the bed is considerably far away from the TV i even had to put my glasses on haha! You had night gowns, slippers, sewing kits etc on the bed which were nice.

Later that night we ordered room service quite later on- around 10pm sandwiches which were nice, and chips, which in my opinion were very undercooked, brownies, and some drinks, it was ok. Nothing special. I had quite a bad sleep, although the bed was unbelievably comfortable, I didn't have a very good nights sleep at all, I understand it is a very old building, and has all original flooring etc, but it was SO creaky, upstairs kept me awake and woke me about 3am, you can hear it whenever someone moves and walks around, it was rather disruptive.

Breakfast was nice, although i did feel slightly out of place, only one of the waitress' actually seemed to greet us nicely and attend to us, cooked breakfast which was ok, certainly not worth the £10.95 it would cost if you were not a guest or just paying for a room basis.

I think the Lion hotel is a well run hotel and in a brilliant location, but maybe more welcoming and familiar to more up market visitors, businessmen, for weddings etc?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Priestessofmars
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights as part of a coach party. The public rooms have lots of character, appropriate to the age of the hotel. My room, although apparently recently modernised, looked dated. The carpet has seen many better years. The bathroom had no window, was very small and there was only a trickle of water from the shower.
The food was ok but not great.We were on a limited choice menu and the first night it took 2 hours for our three courses. The second night my friend and I asked to eat early and the service was much better as was the presentation.
Breakfast was fine although I didn't realise that you could still get tinned grapefruit and tinned mandarin segments! On the first morning I asked for scrambled eggs and smoked salmon (which had a price supplement). They had no smoked salmon. I asked for it again second morning and this time they had it. My friend asked for black pudding and they didn't have any.
When I paid my extras bill in the morning i asked for the hotels brochure as I thought I would come back sometime and bring my husband. The hotel has a wonderful central location and there is so much to see in the area.
However, after coming back from an optional excursion with our group, to pick up the rest of our people, I was told by one of our group that there was a problem. Two bed throws were missing from our room. I went back into the hotel and spoke to the receptionist. She said that the housekeeper had checked the room before we arrived on Tuesday and that there were two bed throws. She said that when she checked it after we had left there were none. I told her that at no time during our stay were there bed throws. The receptionist said she would have to speak to the manager. Wen she came back, she again said that there were two bed throws missing. At that point I again told her that there had never been any throws in the room and that she was very welcome to come and search the entire coach. Then the housekeeper came up and was asked about the throws. With nothing more than a cursory shrug of her shoulders and a not very apologetic 'sorry' she admitted that perhaps she hadn't checked the room on the Tuesday of our arrival after all. I do not take kindly to being accused of theft and if I do go back to Shrewsbury I will be looking for alternative accommodation!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the Main Street are noisy with traffic passing. The third floor has very poor water flow, shower is a trickle and bath takes ages to fill.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends