“FORGET 3* - this is EASILY 4*!!”

Prince Rupert Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Shrewsbury
London, United Kingdom
“FORGET 3* - this is EASILY 4*!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We came to celebrate my partner's birthday and must admit this was a fabulous hotel in the best of locations if you are looking to stay in Shrewsbury...

They have a town center car park which is very handy, and even offer to park the car for you! The room was fabulous. We stayed in one of their 12th Century Mansion rooms - so glad we decided to upgrade as they are worth every penny. If you are looking for somewhere romantic to stay then this is your hotel! Also, the beds are top notch, one of the comfiest we've ever slept on (we even lifted up the sheets to find out the make and we've already started looking to buy one!)

I honestly do not know how people can come on here and write negative comments about this place... Staff: very friendly, food & service: excellent, and room: perfect :)

I stayed down the road in the newly opened Premier Inn last month for business and this place trumps it on every level. A million times more character and The Prince Rupert doesn't rip you off with extras and hidden charges - thankfully the company were paying!!

We are both very much looking forward to returning to this hotel for our anniversary later in the year...

Room Tip: Mansion House rooms definitely worth every penny - absolutely charming, can't be many rooms like...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
James M, General Manager & Director at Prince Rupert Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
What a truly wonderful review of The Prince Rupert Hotel – I cannot thank this guest enough for taking the time and trouble to write this following their recent experience. I can assure that the team here are overwhelmed with pleasure to see that these guests thoroughly enjoyed their time here so much; it is feedback such as this that makes all their effort and hard work worthwhile…

It goes without saying that we cannot wait to welcome these guests back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

(If you have not managed to source a company that sells our mattresses – please get in touch with me directly and I would be more than happy to help!)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed here one night for business purposes. My room was OK. The bed was very comfortable and the curtains heavily lined so I got a great night's sleep. However there was no hair dryer in my room and whilst looking for it I found a pair of tights someone had left behind. Slightly off putting. The hotel is in a great location and the staff very polite

• Stayed August 2013
I would like to thank this guest for their feedback following their overnight stay at The Prince Rupert. I am pleased that they found the location of the property excellent, as well as our team at the hotel very polite. It did concern me however to read that there was no hairdryer in the room, which are usually stored in one of the drawers. Our housekeeping department has since performed an audit of our bedrooms; I can assure that all of them have hair dryers. I hope that this guest chooses us again on future occasions for another great night’s sleep!
Denbigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed for 1 night, wished it was longer , we had a lovely room we where upgraded . The ladys on reception was very frendly and helpfull . The only complaint was staff in the restaurant where not as helpfull , we waited quite a long time to be served and then we had to ask if we can order.

1 Thank jacky r
James M, General Manager & Director at Prince Rupert Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
I am very pleased to read that this guest had wished their stay was longer at The Prince Rupert Hotel following departure. We do indeed always try to upgrade arriving guests wherever possible, so it is lovely to know that it was very much appreciated on this occasion. It is regrettable to read that this guest was required to wait in the restaurant to be served – I have certainly followed up with the food & beverage team regarding this. I do hope that this guest chooses to stay with us again in the future, perhaps even for more than one night next time!
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We were placed in a room at the front of the hotel and experienced the worst nights sleep ever! Noisy pub next door,loud music, people leaving said pub and then early morning street cleaning machine, refuse collection and for the finale, building site works started at 7am. In hindsight we should have asked to move rooms on arrival so this is a warning for you to do just that......BUT.....they should have notified us of the impending noise and when we complained we received a mumbled apology but nothing else. However, breakfast was lovely as was the room.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the front of the hotel!!!
1 Thank Rupert M
James M, General Manager & Director at Prince Rupert Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I am deeply sorry that these guests did not receive a perfect night’s sleep during their stay – this is most certainly not the norm at The Prince Rupert Hotel. The nearby business, like many town centre inns, is governed by restrictions and limitations regarding their music and indeed what time it is allowed to be played until. All of their windows have been double-glazed and a decibel meter is in place to ensure they do not exceed the statutory agreed decibel level. Many of our guests enjoy the fact that there are an abundance of historic pubs and inns just a short stroll away from the hotel. Despite this, we do have 70 bedrooms within the hotel, a portion of which have front facing views overlooking the unique architecture of Shrewsbury. With this in mind I would be more than happy for them to contact me directly so that I can personally allocate them the most suitable bedroom on a future occasion.

With regards to the cleaning of the streets, I hope this guest can appreciate that the town is incredibly proud of its excellent cleanliness and picturesque scenery for both the locals and tourists alike to enjoy. Indeed, we have just recently been crowned Gold by the ‘Heart of England in Bloom’ Awards, which now places Shrewsbury on the National map for the town’s flower displays and ‘chocolate box’ appearance.

On a different note, I am happy to see that these guests enjoyed their room and indeed breakfast in the morning. I do hope this guest chooses to stay with us again in the future; I certainly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming them back to The Prince Rupert Hotel.
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I have just stayed one night only in the Prince Rupert Hotel. From the moment we first arrived until we left the following morning ,we really enjoyed our stay. There was a nice friendly welcome, Our room was really nice , we were upgraded and had no complaints at all regarding the room.
The restaurant was closed , we ate in The Chambers Bistro (which was attached to the hotel) all the food we ordered was really yummy ,good service and very comfortable.
Breakfast was lovely ,good choices .
Excellent value. the only problem we had was we had only booked for one night , would have liked to have stayed longer.
Nothing seemed to be to much trouble for the staff that we met .
Our plan is to hopefully to return before Christmas for a few days.

Room Tip: Try and stay for more than one night!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
James M, General Manager & Director at Prince Rupert Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
I am delighted that these guests left The Prince Rupert Hotel having thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of their stay. Shrewsbury is a truly lovely place to visit, offering so much to do within a picturesque setting. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming these guests back to the hotel, possibly before Christmas arrives as they suggest!
Slough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Lovely welcome on arrival but being in the heart of the old part of the town was a little tricky to locate. Really friendly staff and rooms are perfectly adequate. It is a little tired but very clean and full of character. Breakfast is freshly cooked to order which is a nice touch. Would certainly stay again and recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night. But we will definitely return. The hotel is very old but in a great location. As it was my birthday, we were given a suite and they even left a birthday card for me. Such a lovely, personal touch. The room was at the top of the hotel, a fair walk up lots of steps and as I have no sense of direction, got lost trying to find our way downstairs but that just added to the charm. The staff were all lovely, fantastic service. We had a meal at the hotel restaurant, again we could not fault it if we tried. We will definitely go back fora longer stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple