PGL Boreatton Park
$136
$123
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$63
Priceline
$76
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgroup leaderraft buildinggiant swingzip wireschool triplow ropesproblem solvinglovely foodgroupiesfencingaccommodationbingotoilet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I'd give this a 'poor' or 'terrible' rating to be honest (with my protective hat on) but I am sure my 10 year old son had a great time and would give it a much higher score based on the fun factor so I've averaged it out. He wasn't on a school trip, he was on a multi activity holiday, away from home for the first time, with his friend, in the 10-13 age group.

He was ill towards the end of his week and put in quarantine until collected and we certainly don't have a problem with using a quarantine system when so many other children have to be considered. However he still can't keep down food some 3/4 nights later and we know from our son that about 10 children were in quarantine with him and that both my son's groupies were also ill too.

The problem we have is that nobody from PGL contacted us to tell us that our son was ill, to give us the opportunity to collect him early, which without a doubt we would have done. We've checked all 'phones and with our emergency contact. Our son said he was told they were calling us.

We've now contacted PGL to ask them to explain matters to maybe help his doctor with any valuable insight as to the illness and also to explain why on earth they didn't contact us. After all he's only a little boy.

I think parents need to know about this kind of thing (possibly no contact from PGL when your child is unwell) and be aware this might happen - so that's why we're sharing. I'm sure PGL will help us.

Oh and another small tip, when a groupie tells you not to bother unpacking for your child when you drop them off and see their cabin, ignore them and unpack for your child! In fact give your child a bag labelled for every day of the week. On these holidays the children look after themselves, decide how many showers they have etc, 100%. If you've got a typical boy like me, the contents of the case may come home 3/4 clean and if they lose their raincoat for example, like my son did, that's it, they're on their own without any protection from the rain, even if it rains. Young 'groupies' are certainly not 'in loco parentis'!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank MrsDee2013
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our school have been going to PGL for over 30 years and are always treated with professionalism and excellence. Over the years the groupies and instructors have become the mangers and administrators of the park therefore having a fundamental knowledge of the activities, children and their teachers.

The instructors are great at getting the children to participate in the activities and always encourage and motivate those who find the physical side of PGL challenging. From zip wires to build your own raft!

However it's the Group Leader aka Groupie who is the driving force behind your group's enjoyment - singing songs, cracking jokes, organising evening entertainments (disco, bonfire, etc), looking after you & providing a link between the office.

I recommend staying in Tall Timbers log cabins which are great for the children we take.

Our children always love going so much that they bawl their eyes out on the day we leave!!

Room Tip: Stay in tall timbers - log cabins.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rob L
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been coming to PGL for many years, and what i can say is the unprofessionalism of other teachers who are also guests, is appalling. Drinking far too much, being disrespectful to other teachers, being loud and noisy in the evenings and waking other guests up. Being hungover in the mornings, not turning up to many sessions (even though they are in loco parentis!!), moaning at activity instructors - being pushy and demanding more than is actually possible. Instructors work long hours and 6 days a week, on sometimes very little pay. 99.9% of them love their job and are very committed to achieving the best results! I overheard a teacher from another school moaning about an instructor having a pint in the bar, even though i had spotted this teacher downing shots! Hypocritical! I have become fed up of many teachers expecting the earth in terms of special treatment, whilst at the same time treating instructors as servants or second class. It seems some teachers are quick to point fingers at staff in order to cover their own backs for being unprofessional. We come to Boreatton Park because the instructors and group leaders are well trained and incredibly enthusiastic individuals. Any rare misbehaviour is treated with an Iron fist. Other teachers need to start sorting out their own houses and looking at their own professionalism before questions that of these young brilliant passionate people.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank dorothy d
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We took a group of 22 girl guides for a weekend stay. We were given an excellent Uniformed Groups rate (50% off brochure price). We were in Quail accommodation which we all rated highly - the leaders rooms we very nice.
The activities are superb - there are several of each activity including 5 separate zip wires, so you should be able to do all the activities you choose.
We found the Giant Swing and High Ropes were the favourites with our guides.
The food is plentiful and has improved greatly since we visited last year (when it was poor at best).
Have already books to go again.

Room Tip: The new lodges are away from the main accommodation and have a leaders lounge with fridge, TV and about 60 comfy chairs. We made hot chocolate for the guides before bed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Critic-Meads
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My 8 year old son and his two cousins aged 8 and 10 attended Boreatton Park for a three day holiday. I was nervous due to it being their first holiday without any parents. I was also a little worried about previous reviews on Trip Advisor.

On arrival to PGL we were greeted by many friendly and enthusiastic staff members. Checking in was organised and staff even carried all luggage up to the rooms. The children met their group leader immediately upon arrival.

When I collected the children three days later they all said that they had had a great time. The older child was a little reluctant to go initially and she has asked to go back. The two younger children appear to have excelled at all activities and talked about how amazing the activities were .....zip wire, giant swing, kayaking, abseiling and quad biking.

The group leaders Jack and Leonie both received excellent reviews from the children. The children even said that they were offered alternative food if they did not like the food on offer.

All in all PGL have impressed my son and nieces and they would love to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family