“Fantastic food, very intimate place for dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Giuseppe

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Shropshire
“Fantastic food, very intimate place for dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Run by couple for past 30+ years. My favourite Italian restaurant. Great wine, nice food and lemon sorbet that is unique and delicious.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank crts

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Memorable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

For true authentic family Italian food set in centre of town and always cooked and served fresh, staff so pleasant and nothing too much trouble and never disappointed.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank carolwebb30
UK
“A unique and treasured neighbourhood eaterie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

If you tire of the same old pre-frozen supermarket rubbish served up in 'Italian' chains such as ASK and Zizzi, then head to Frankwell for REAL homecooked Scillian fare. Yes as some have said the restaurant can be a little quirky, but Giuseppe is a Frankwell legend and very entertaining...If helps if you are local though! Set in a 16th Century house the buliding is very interesting and i'm sure the host will talk non-stop about it! The food is fresh and Giuseppe will ask you to inspect the meat before cooking. Either way go and enjoy a genuine evening here, it is advisable that you book though!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Britannic
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Nice food, but a really strange place!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

My Husband and I decided to dine here over the weekend, after walking past the place a few times previously. It really was not what we were expecting! I'm not sure restaurant is the right word for this place... We were actually asked (in a polite way) what we were doing there - i'm not sure you should advertise as being a restaurant if you dont intend to have people over to eat!
I booked in advance, and i was later told that the restaurant wouldn't have opened if i hadn't - we were the ONLY customers that night (it was a Friday).
Don't get me wrong, Guiseppe and his wife were absoluetly charming and made us feel very welcome. Perhaps it is our age or something but we felt the whole thing a little awkward. We were given a lesson in wines, food and Scily by Guiseppe, which was great! He would not stop talking, but we really didn't mind as he had interesting things to say. After we had ordered we were taken to the dining room upstairs. Lovely furnished and a very homely place.
The food... i had the prawn cocktail for start, it was just some small prawns (they had been frozen) and dressed in a little balsamic. It was fine, but i have tasted much better many times, including when i have done it myself. I had the Carbonara for main, again so-so. My husband had a fillet steak and that was lovely, but for over £20 you would expect it.
When we had finished we were asked if we wanted anything else, when we both declined Guiseppe went downstairs and turned the music off. A hint, i think that they wanted to go home.
Whilst the food was so-so we found the whole thing very strange. We won't be returning just because the lack of atmosphere, we were sat in a large dining room by ourselves - we could have done that at home for a fraction of the cost. My Husband rightly commented it was like going to your elderly relatives for dinner and having to eat in a seperate room to them (and having to pay over the odds for it).
I want to stress that the Guiseppe and his wife were lovely people. I know they have customers who return again and again and he says they are his friends. I think this is where the restaurant fits best, and if you are thinking of trying Guiseppe for the first time i really wouldnt bother, i think you would have a much better time in another restaurant (Frank just around the corner is divine).

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank MrsBee23
Calne, United Kingdom
“Amazing home cooked Italian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Quite extraordinary. It was like being invited into a private house and being spoilt rotten. The food was delicious, cooked to perfection. Made us feel very special and that's what this is - a special treat.

5 Thank jptlewis