“Excellent value and friendly service - dog friendly, too!”

Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Shrewsbury
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here overnight on Christmas Eve before a family Christmas lunch on Christmas Day in Shrewsbury. There was a young woman in charge who covered all service to us very effectively. We stayed on the ground floor - very convenient for the dog, who even had her own loo outside nearby. Also, located on a very quiet light industrial estate with no traffic at night, the dog had a great walk off the lead.
The carpet smelt a bit damp in the corridor - this may have been because it had been recently cleaned, being dog-friendly (wise if our labrador is anything to go by). Facilities in the room were good and everything was spotless.
We had a decent light meal in the bar/breakfast area which was good value and the breakfast was fine apart from no veggie sausages (this would have been 5 star otherwise!).

Room Tip: Although on a trading estate it was a modern, well designed, quiet one.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed when it was still (just) a Hampton. It was OK, but as I was only staying one night I was really only bothered about a decent night's sleep and a good breakfast. It was annoying to be told on arrival that the wi-fi wasn't working, as free wi-fi was one of the reasons I booked there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Now Holiday Inn Express so review based on what you should get from HIExpress, remember you get the breakfast desribed on Website (continental with couple of hot items) and remember it's not a Full service Hotel i.e. No full Restaurant (do good snacks), no room service, bell boy at door etc.

Pro's
- Reasonably Quite (can hear alittle movement upstairs)
- Comfy
- Rooms feel slightly bigger than norm HIExpress

Con's
-Failed to deliver what was booked
-Useless wireless internet
-Weak heating
-Toilet seat not secure to toilet

Having booked an ACE package on the website (incentive to try the new format) I was promised a welcome drink and free Wifi, the welcome was weak and felt false (expect personnal from HIexpress), no drink (or voucher) was forecoming and the wifi was worse than dial-up. Top this with a cold room and an aircon unit that dribbled heat out and a toilet seat that lauched me across the Bathroom and I have big questions over the use of ACE as a package name.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Warm welcome by both people on the front desk and they were both very helpful with printing out some paperwork for me.. Great room with excellent bathroom and really fluffy towels. Evening menu is limited but breakfast was delightful.
Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank UKTravellerSussexUK
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My other half and I have stayed here since it opened, it was known as the Purple Hotel, then the Blueberry Hotel and now Hampton by Hilton. It holds a special place in our hearts as we used to stay here every weekend when we first met and got to know each other over drinks in the bar and nights out in Shrewsbury. We have danced the night away in Reflex and had quiet nights in the bar and although it is a taxi ride into town, I would recommend it. The rooms are lovely and have fabulous showers!!! There is a small bar with a Tv and is where they serve breakfast. The service has always been second to none and 4 years later we still stay here when we go to Shrewsbury. If you do stay there, there is a fabulous pub not far called the Peacock which we have spent a fabulous New Years Eve in. It is a no frills hotel but certainly ticks all of our boxes.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the Hampton Inn. It is hidden in an industrial estate on the outskirts of the town but this shouldn't deter you if you just need a place to put your head down after a day's sightseeing or visiting friends or relatives. The staff were all very friendly, the free wi-fi was a bit hard to get into but did work after a bit of effort (the password is printed inside your room key holder but this isn't pointed out to you); the standard room with a queen-size bed was large, with a very nice bathroom and good-sized shower. They have even thought to provide flannels - a rarity these days! As another reviewer has noted, it was a shame about the wooden stirrers with the tea/coffee set; teaspoons would be nicer.

We stayed for two nights - Friday and Saturday - and enjoyed the "free" cooked or continental buffet style breakfast, though the space in the dining room/bar is a bit tight; they opened up a meeting room as overflow.

The only downside was the late night revellers who came back to their rooms at 5am on Sunday morning and made an awful racket - slamming doors, shouting in the corridors, knocking incessantly on each others' doors. We were unlucky to be in the next door rooms to this rabble, but it is a risk in a budget hotel.

Overall though I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is an account of the disgraceful customer service that I have received since staying at the Hampton by Hilton in Shrewsbury between Sunday 23rd October 2011 and Friday 28th October 2011.

It has almost been 12 months and the matter has not yet been resolved.

When I arrived, the check-in was fine.

I have never stayed at a Hampton by Hilton before and was initially very impressed with the decor. However that all changed once I had checked my room. I had booked a King room.

At first glance the room looked great. However, once I had unpacked I realised that all was not well.

First of all, I discovered at least five hairs (some pubic) in the bedding including the pillows. I say at least. I gave up at five.

The bedside table had a dried stain on it from a spilt drink. The toilet was full of shavings. i.e. someone had shaved over the toilet and the water was covered in a fine layer of short hairs. When I checked the shower, I found a wet flannel on the bench seat.

Now I don't think for a second that the hotel reuse the bedding so there must have been a real failure in standards with their laundry services. However, their cleaner made no attempt to remove the hairs. Nor did they clean the stain on the bedside table or the toilet or move the flannel.

This was simply poor attention to detail. What use is a cleaner that doesn't clean?

I returned to reception and asked for another room. The man on reception said that there was only a Queen room and gave me a key to the room next door.

The second room had some hairs in the bedding but the biggest problem was that the toilet bowl was full of splattered faeces!

I went straight back down to reception to say that I would be needing another room. I am pretty certain that the man on reception (who was trying to eat his supper) thought I was a "fussy sod", as he gave no word of apology. He simply grabbed the pass key out of my hand and stormed upstairs to check the rooms.

When he returned, he simply handed me another key and told me the room number. There was no acknowledgement that the second room was unfit for purpose.

When I got to the third room, I found three hairs on the pillow straight away. However after the way the man behaved, I didn't have the heart to go back down. Anyway, I had already wasted half an hour. I simply removed the pillow.

I did pop down to the dining area adjacent to reception later to get some supper and I was made to feel completely unwelcome.

I tried connecting to the internet in order to locate another hotel nearby but it was not working. If it had worked, I would have managed to locate another hotel and checked out in the morning.
There was no mention of a room discount of £50 due to my being given a Queen room which costs £10 less than a King room. (Actually a refund as I had already paid in advance).

I finally managed to connect to the Hilton Customer Care site on Wednesday 26th October 2011 to leave a complaint.

On the following day Thursday 27th October 2011, I received two replies which was encouraging. The first was from a "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" based in the United States. He gave me an incident number of 8521362 and said that he had been in contact with the hotel who had 72 hours to reply. The second reply was from the Hotel Manager.

On Monday 31st October 2011, I received an email from the hotel manager. He offered his "sincere apologies for the shortfall in service and standards you experienced" and offered me a one night complimentary stay.

On the same day, I received an email from the "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" in the states who offered me "a refund in the amount of one night room and tax which will amount to approximately 64 GBP". Please could I "please verify a current mailing address, you will receiving this refund via mail in no more than 2-4 weeks".

Before I had chance to respond to either email, I received a further email from him on Wednesday 2nd November 2011 saying "I was informed that the hotel property has made contact with you regarding the incidents of your stay and offered you a complementary night stay at their property if you wish to accept and make a reservation with the hotel property in order to redeem this offer. Please disregard the prior email stating address verification for refund of 64 GBP".

I immediately emailed both the hotel manager and the "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" that I would prefer the refund as I would be unlikely to visit Shrewsbury again. I also supplied my address for the refund to be sent to.

As I didn't receive a response to this email from the "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" , I sent a number of emails thorough November and December 2011.

Eventually, I got an auto generated email saying that this person's email address was no longer valid. He had presumably left the company.

I completed the Customer Care form explaining everything that I have recounted so far on the Hilton site on 31st January 2012 and received an auto response but nothing further.

As I hadn't received any communication from either Hilton or Hampton by Hilton, I sent another email to the manager of the hotel on 26th February 2012 asking him to deal with the issue. i.e. organise the promised refund.

I sent him a further email on 5th march 2012 as I still hadn't received a reply. He then replied saying that he'd forwarded my emails to Hilton Hotels Head Office and Hampton Inns Head Office in the states. They would reply to me directly.

I gave them 2 days to contact me which they didn't.

On 7th March, I emailed the hotel manager again to say that I had not heard from Hilton and as the problems were at his hotel on his watch, I was holding him responsible for dealing with this matter.

He replied saying "This issue is being investigated From what we see at Hampton Inns a refund has been processed by Hilton Hotels. This is currently being investigated Unfortunately I cannot intervene in this matter anymore than I have done".

I completed the Customer Care form a further time. This time there wasn't even an automated response.

So here I am 12 months later, still being given the "brush off" by the hotel manager and completely ignored by Hilton and Hampton by Hilton who do not appear to have an actual complaints department. I have been looking for all this time and not found one.

In addition to the frustration and anger at my treatment at the hands of the hotel groups and specifically the hotel manager, I must stress that the £64 that I was offered and am still waiting for is not even a proper form of compensation. In fact as I spent 5 nights in a Queen room rather than a King, I am entitled to a £50 refund due to the difference in price. That leaves £14.

Now I know that £64 wasn't intended to be a refund plus £14 compensation as the "Guest Assistance Specialist / Advance Purchase Coordinator" probably hadn't realised that I had actually been downgraded in the process of switching rooms. It is just another thorn in my side.

The standard of cleanliness in the three rooms that I was given was dreadful but the treatment that I have received by the staff at the hotel and the Hilton and Hampton by Hilton groups have been an absolute disgrace.

It should go without saying that I shall never stay with Hilton or Hampton by Hilton again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business