“Such a disappointment”

Description: Unique Cocktail Bar and American Diner
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Such a disappointment”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Booked a table for 14 on a Saturday night. At no point did Frank's tell us that the seating would be difficult. We were placed in a booth extending to an L shape so could not see, let alone talk to half the group. A T shape on the raised area upstairs would have been far more suitable. Chips were extremely salty and peppery although were nicely cooked and ice cream sundaes were obviously made in advance as were virtually melted by the time they were received. My chicken burger was nice although bread wasn't very tasty. The starter I ordered off the festive menu , apparently kept falling to pieces so I had to choose another, several minutes after everyone else had recieved their food. Cocktails were the biggest let down :-( Full of crushed ice and rather insipid! It wasn't a cheap meal and to add insult to injury when presented with the Bill the £70 deposit hadn't been taken off for until I pointed it out. Staff were friendly enough but for the price I would definately expect a higher standard of cuisine. A further note was that one of the party is a Coeliac and despite phoning three times in advance and being reassurred that virtually anything on the menu coulkd be adapted, when she arrived the choice was virtually non existant. The waitress although pleasnt didn't seem to know what Gluten free really meant and the serious health implications of eating gluten containing food for a coeliac. I would suggest some basic staff training on this to prevent this happening in future. Sooooo disappointed :-(

Dublin, Ireland
“Fabulous new venue”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

A menu to suit all tastes, delightful cocktails, friendly and knowledgable people and a really great atmosphere. Great place to bring friends, to chat with fabulous food or just relax with a superbly constructed cocktail. Great work people at Frank, thanks for a great night...

• Visited December 2013
“Not what we were expecting at all :(”
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I attended with a large group as a works christmas doo after reading up mixed reviews, we decided to come to frank as it was near to theatre 7 where we were going previous to the meal. Wow,what a let down! We were all jolly leaving the pantomime but unfortunately the mood changed when we arrived at franks. Staff were friendly enough but my opinion is much more knowledge is needed to cater for ceoliacs (gluten free)! I realise it is not their fault I need gluten free food but I had warned the restaurant 3 times previous to the date and was reassured anything on the menu could be adapted to suit me. Unfortunately this was not the case, was offered 2 meals to start with on a scrap bit of paper! It wouldn't have mattered if they had said sorry we cannot cater.. But it was the fact I was assured anything could be cooked.. If you cannot cate very well for gluten free I advise that you tell people the truth. Very disappointed and straight away this put a dampner on the night unfortunately !! Food was very expensive aswel as drinks.. Cocktails just seemed full of ice? No taste of alcohol and all of my table thought the same. The table was in a L shape so the atmosphere wasn't great? Whether we came on a bad night I don't know? As other reviews seemed to be happy here..

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent staff, great food”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Have been meaning to go to the new franks for a while but had heard mixed reviews , but had a wonderful evening, great food amazing service will definitely be returning most enjoyable

wales
“Not for me!! ”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I went to Franks as a large group for a meal we had pre ordered our food and one of our party was gluten free, on booking this meal we asked about the menu for her and they said she could have almost anything from the menu?? We had booked this in advance and had rang a few times to try and get a menu for her but they said she could order on the night oh what a disasters that was!! as there was hardly anything she could have there was no gluten free bread so she couldn't have a burger and she was offered the BBQ chicken but minus the BBQ sauce so basically just chicken on a plate with a slice of cheese on top!!! The seating was very poor, yes we were a large group but the table was in a L shape and it was difficult for us all to talk to each other. The food was basic and my Sunday was just sloppy ice cream I also felt there was no atmosphere the bar where we were upstairs had closed so if you wanted another drink you had to go downstairs to get one.