“Haphazard!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Unique Cocktail Bar and American Diner
“Haphazard!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Yes, I liked old Franks too. However, thought the new Franks also had an interesting, different atmosphere when we walked in and sat down but when we ordered a bottle of wine, it arrived wrapped in a dirty tea towel with dirty glasses. We were going to order food but the constant appearance of the chef at the bar dressed in filthy, disgusting 'whites' made the decision not to very easy! The staff appeared to have a general air of apathy - what a shame, could be fab!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank KG1967

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor - Such a shame”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Used to love the old Franks and loved the American idea for the new place, but the restaurant upstairs was very cold and uninviting, staff were slow and the food was so bland we left most of it. Bar downstairs is ok and the cocktail menu looks good, but we went for a meal and were so dissapointed - dull, tasteless food and a cold, bleak and barely furnished restaurant upstairs which is a shame and we wont be going back. The food on the menu sounds great but everything we had was so bland and beige with no taste.
The plug in electric heater wasn't much good at heating up the whole restaurant and so cheap looking!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank nat r
Doug B, Owner at Frank, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I'm sad to hear that you didn't enjoy your time with us. I take on board what you say about the upstairs; it is currently a work in progress and we've made some quite significant changes even since your visit. I'm sure that if you were to return you'd find it a lot more welcoming.
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your food either, but I feel there is little we can do to change the colour of our food; burgers and fries quite often have a 'beigeness' to them due to the bread which surrounds the burger and the fries being made of potatoes. I'm not sure what colour you would like your food to be - please do let us know. With regard to it being bland I can only disagree wholeheartedly; of course you are entitled to your opinion but I and many others think it tastes delicious. None-the-less, thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Great food, awesome cocktails, fab value and an chilled atmosphere!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I recently came here for lunch with a friend, we'd been looking forward to it after seeing the menu online and weren't disappointed! First impressions: chilled out atmosphere, stylish interior, comfy chairs, laid-back American rock music, awesome!
We ordered from the Lunch Specials menu, I had the classic cheese burger with fries and she had the trio of sliders with fries. We both loved the food - the burgers are minced fresh onsite giving them a really meaty flavour and the relish was to-die-for. I didn't get to try my friends sliders cuz she scoffed the lot which speaks for itself really! Some other reviewers have complained about the chips but we both thought they were great - they're clearly cut fresh to order which keeps them moist inside whist crispy on the outside and full of flavour, yum!
The food was such great value that we decided to indulge in a sundae each to round off our visit - I had the Frank's Sundae and my friend went for the Chocolate Fudge Brownie Sundae. They were artfully delecious with a cherry on top (literally)
We didn't have cocktails during our recent visit (it was lunchtime after all) but have had them before in their previous venue and oh.my.god... they are amazing! There is so much choice, almost too much choice. Me & said friend came here before watching Cinderella on ice at the theatre last year and one cocktail became two, three and well, that was the trippiest theatre visit I've ever experienced, I highly recommend it!
In summary I'll definitely be coming here again soon and I've already picked out my next menu choices (Signature Chilli followed by Blueberry Pancakes if you're interested) The staff were friendly, engaging and informative - they're clearly passionate about their food, drinks and business. I can't rate Frank highly enough!!! :D

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Loved the food, hated the fries”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Whatever happened to proper fries? By which I mean thin, light, golden and crisp, not a) the size and texture of half a roast potato or b) thin, dark brown and soggy. The fries at Franks fell into the latter category, which was a shame because the the buffalo wings, the burgers and the service were all excellent. Why do so many restaurants these days fall into this exasperating 'hand-cut' trap, when decent fries are so easy to do? Back to Nando's for me...

1 Thank ShrooBloo
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Great cocktails.. didn't enjoy the food.”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was very excited to try out the new American cuisine served at Franks as the menu really talks the talk... but sadly I can only report that the food does not walk the walk. Having travelled extensively in the USA for a total of 4 years, I have a good idea of what American diner food should taste like, and this isn't it. The Americans make the best burgers in the world, but Franks version was average at best (in fact I left the majority of mine), I was also not keen on the pulled pork which didn't taste of barbecue at all, and neither did the BBQ sauce condiment, pulled pork should by definition taste of barbecue. I thought that the fries were too skinny, and consequently looked soggy and poorly presented.

Anyway- enough of the bad! There were some good elements about the food! The pastrami on the NY Deli burger was YUMMY, and I was a real fan of the mac and cheese. I would probably go back to eat the mac and cheese again!

The cocktails were also good, and great value on a Wednesday night. I LOVED the margarita which tasted exactly as it should (and was much better that the libertine version I have tasted). The service was great, and the waitress was really friendly and obliging. I will definately go back to Franks for a cocktail or two, but I'm not sure I will eat there again. I think the menu sounds great, but you need to work on the actual food.

I also have been quite unimpressed by the facebook campaign to get better reviews on TripAdvisor. Rather than suggesting your customers are internet trolls, why not take their feedback as constructive criticism and try to make improvements on the areas that have been highlighted. The American food is obviously a new thing for you.. and is having teething problems, don't alienate customers by attacking them for pointing this out. I have left this review because I was to praise you for what you are doing well, and suggest areas that you can improve upon. TripAdvisor can be a real asset to your business, if you use it to your advantage.

3 Thank LLJ87
Dayve_Frank, Owner at Frank, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
We are very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the food.

We thank you for your very constructive comments and we are addressing all feedback from our customers. The fries are an ongoing issue some people though they were too big then others to small so a in-between solution and different cooking method has been put into action to resolve this. As with our beef patties we are always striving to create the ultimate burger and we have experimented with various methods to bring you the best burger in town.

As for our Facebook champaign to urge customers to post their experiences. We we're not branding anyone an internet troll as we value all customers opinions. That term was used to highlight that there are a few reviews on here that escalate the negativity and nature of review websites without mentioning anything to the staff at the time or adding anything positive. We're only trying to protect our reputation and secure a future for the business and staff.

We have always strived ourselves on home made and fresh food. never processed or brought in, and pride ourselves in being a customer orientated business. Being negative through a computer screen in our opinion is unjust and unnecessary.
Being a independent business for many years, we knew taking on a new challenge completely would encounter some teething problems. So I hope you will try us again sometime and hopefully we can improve on the elements you didn't enjoy so much

Kind Regards