“Comfortable boutique hotel”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Comfortable boutique hotel”
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

Fishmore Hall is a welcoming boutique hotel and the twin standard room we had was very comfortable and it was nice to see it had an in room fridge which allowed us to store our dogs fresh food. £30 for our two small dogs stay for two nights was a little expensive as we know they are cleaner than some humans but I suppose a big dog could make a dirty mess which would require extra cleaning. The hotel provide lovely Molton Brown toiletries, which we use at home, however a wet room may not be everyone's taste if you prefer a relaxing soak in a bath, but the on site spa could help you on the relaxation front.

The restaurant produced delicious food, however we felt that they were not adept at coping with large numbers as we sat down at 1835 for dinner and admittedly after hors d'oeuvres and an amuse bouche we only received our starter at 1940. The restaurant specialises in either a six or nine course tasting menu, which having two dishes my wife can't eat meant we couldn't par take and went a la carte. I don' t think that the restaurant increases the portion sizes at all to allow for guests just eating three courses as every dish be it a la carte or tasting menu appeared to be the same size to us. We had to fill up on bread! If staying I would recommend the tasting menu if you want to feel full, however I cannot recommend the turbot which came with cucumber as a vegetable which made the source a watery thin soup and the turbot was gone in two mouth fulls. My wife's scallop starter whilst tasty was just one thinly sliced king scallop and my mother's main of lamb consisted of just two tiny slices whilst my wife and father's main of monkfish was more cauliflower than fish. As I said, have the tasting menu if you wish to feel replete.

Breakfast provided a huge menu choice but again more staff are required to be on duty to speed up the service. I was disappointed with my eggs benedict as the spinach included was full of grit and I could not really eat it. The full English the second day was good but would've loved to have had English mustard and ketchup with it but after serving there were no staff around to ask for any. We also arrived in the unstaffed dining room before two other couples who were served before us which was slightly annoying but not the sole member of staffs fault as he was busy fetching another breakfast when we all arrived.

Would I stay again, probably not. The two night stay for two people with two dogs with two 3 course dinners (one night with 2 additional guests and the second night my wife skipped desert) cost just shy of £650, so we didn't feel that as lovely as it was that it was value for money. Would have been nice not to be charged for tea and coffee after dinner after three courses costing £50 but I suppose they wish to make more money from your stay. We visit Ludlow frequently and we shall be returning to the Feathers which is in the centre of town with free parking, doesn't charge for our pets and also provides lovely food with decent portion sizes. We can also recommend Dinham Hall hotel but again their chef doesn't understand decent portion sizes!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gbevans66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2014

I recently spent the weekend at the delightful Fishmore Hall in Ludlow, Shropshire. What a delightful place - a beacon of quality and customer service for all other hotels to aspire too.
I attended my neices wedding held entirely at Fishmore Hall hotel. Laura and her excellent staff/ team were so accommodating and not only to the bride and groom but all the guests. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone. The rooms, cleanliness, beds, bed linen, bathrooms were all to a very high and quality standard. The food too was excellent and a 'too die for' breakfast menu, ( although I will have to return to experience the smoked Kippers! ).
This was a great experience that I would encourage you to experience at least once. Thank you to Laura and all her team - it was faultless!

Room Tip: All the rooms were excellent - just stipulate if you prefer bath, shower or both.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jason D
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel in a quiet location. Couldn't fault it. Stayed just the one night but wish we could have stayed longer. Found a lovely Thai restaurant in the village. Staff really friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Ideal location just outside Ludlow, road not very busy but some early road noise if you are not used to it. Very clean and smart decoration. Room excellent, spacious and immaculately clean, large very comfortable bed. Large well equipped bathroom with separate bath and shower. Separate vegetarian menu, two choices, main menu four choices, same menu on two evenings, if we had stayed for three nights it would have been a problem if it hadn't changed. Saying that the food was very good. Not the cheapest but almost worth it.

Room Tip: Avoid road facing rooms if you are not used to road noise
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Me and my husband stayed for two nights at Fishmore Hall last week. It was everything we wanted and more. The grounds/views are lovely we sat out every morning and early evening, the room was perfect, Beautiful big bath, wet room, massive soft bed, beautiful views from room. My husband ordered chocolate covered strawberries and petals on our bed for our arrival which was a lovely extra. Breakfast was lovely and the staff were excellent, I am pregnant and was being fussy with food and they were very accommodating. Will defiantly come again ... Loved it!! We didn't have dinner because there are so many lovely restaurants in Ludlows we wanted to try !

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank bridgetjonesuk04
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Just outside the town but fantastic setting. Lovely garden to sit in and take in the views. All the staff were very friendly and keen to make our stay a good one. Breakfast was very tasty. Dinner was lovely but a little over priced. Would definitely return

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Pebbwally
telford
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We had a very nice afternoon and evening at Fishmore Hall to celebrate our tenth anniversary. Booked into an Executive room with Champagne and chocolate coated strawberries followed by A la carte meal in the conservatory.
Before dinner a drink in the lounge (excellent Ludlow Best for me) and with the meal a lovely Beaujolias Villages. The three course meal was excellent (braised pig cheek/scallops, monkfish main for both of us, followed by strawberry souffle/cheeses for dessert)
and the service friendly and attentive.
A great night's sleep followed by excellent full English in our room. Yes it was pricey for one night but for our anniversary we are happy that we chose Fishmore Hall and would consider going back in the future.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank paul l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Cliffe at Dinham
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle
Travelodge Ludlow Hotel

Been to Fishmore Hall? Share your experiences!