“Nice, if on a deal.”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
South Wales
“Nice, if on a deal.”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed in September using a special discount voucher. Our room was at the back of the house (10), overlooking a car park. As others have stated, there is a strong smell from the kitchen if you leave the window open.
We were eating the first evening in the restaurant, so had an aperitif whilst the waitress brought us the menu. I was so disappointed as it was very limited. 4 starters, 4 mains and few desserts.
The mains courses had odd combinations of foods; ie steak with maple syrup, other meats with seafood. And Herefordshire snails???????????? This menu was not inspiring. there was a "taster" menu at £60 a head, but again not inspiring.
I was ready to go hungry as these combinations put me right off, (and I've eaten some strange foods on my travels)when I heard another woman in the lounge say she'd have the sole.... "What?"
Turned out there was a bar menu too, but this wasnt pointed out to us, so when the waitress returned we asked about it. This was eventually brought and our choices made. It was alot cheaper than the fancy menu.
The difference with the bar and main menu was the seating. We had to sit inside rather than in the conservatory part, but that didnt matter anyway.
The food was on slate instead of plates, but was nice;the sole was in batter, and the chips were thick but tasty.
We ordered a bottle of wine, but this wasn't left on the table, it was placed out of our reach so we had to ask for a top up each time. Annoying when the staff werent about, so I got it myself and kept it on the tablehereafter.
No complaints about the breakfasts, filled us up until lunch.
Ludlow is about 20 minutes to walk, but we went by car, no problems parking. Not alot there apart from the odd "craft-type" shop, bookies and charity shops. But the town is known for the castle and medieval/xmas markets mainly. We did find some first rate real ales though in a local pub.
Our second evening meal was in the Unicorn Inn that night, which was plentiful and delicious.
So if you can get a special deal, go for it, otherwise its very pricey to stay and eat;
and ask for the bar menu as well.
To sum up;
Pros, Quiet location.
Clean.
Efficient staff

Cons, Expensive and limited bar. Main menu too odd(ask for the bar menu)
Shower much too big. Space for at least ten people in it!!!! Why?

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back unless you like the smell of cooking. Don't be afraid to ask for the ba...
2 Thank JustMeSouthWales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
York
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just back from a 2 night stay at Fishmore Hall and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. As it was my birthday we had a 3 course a la Carte meal in the restaurant - it was exceptional! The food was scrumptous and the staff exceptionally attentive and professional. The room was large and the en suite shower room was wonderful. We stayed in a superior room (room 5). All in all a great hotel and we wouldn't hesitate in going back.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We have stayed at fishmore a number of times now and it never fails to disappoint in providing a lovely relaxing break. The bedrooms are clean and have lots of modern touches including lovely Molton brown toiletries. The food in the restaurant is always of a high standard and the tasting menu with wine is reasonably priced. The breakfast is a nice selection and all freshly cooked.

I would definitely recommend coming here if you want to feel relaxed and enjoy superb food and wines.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Suffolk
Reviewed September 27, 2012

A recent two-day stay was vey pleasant.

I tend to get a bit nervous about small privately-run hotels, because "quirkiness" isn't amusing to me... I like the shower to work, the food to be OK, the service appropriate. Private places tend to think that personality is a substitute for all of the above - and it ain't. So, the Fishmore had to work had to win me round.

My room was good, spacious, clean. slightly odd layout - with a bath in the room, and no door on the loo... neither of which bothered me, being a solo traveller, but I imagine that couples might find the second (if not the first) feature a bit weird. I dont expect that all tbe rooms were like this, but I worry about signs of quirk!!

The restaurant was good, although I found some of the menu combinations (eg lamb and snails) strange in the extreme. the local cheesboard with homemade biscuits and dried fig cake was - on its own - reason enough to go to the place.... really top, super stuff.

So, nice, small... good but not great value, slightly expensive perhasps... but a pleasant place... recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It would have been excellent but for the slightly pretentious (certainly not friendly) service at breakfast.
Our room was lovely though - tastefully decorated with an excellent bathroom and shower.
The superior Moulton Brown toiletries in the bathroom are always a good sign and the complementary homemade biscuits and fresh milk brought to the room are also a nice touch.
We had a lovely countryside view from our bedroom, despite the awful weather.
All the staff were friendly and helpful - apart from that one waiter at breakfast.
Maybe he was having a "bad day".

Room Tip: We were in room 25 which was excellent.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed here on a KGB break,paid rxtra for room upgrade but standard rooms are fine just have a bath. Lovely big beds,lovely wet room, nice touches, fresh milk and handmade biscuits, bathrobes,
Moulton brown toiletries. Ate in restaurant first night, lovely food but limited selection too many things like frogs legs and snails for my liking but wonderful pistachio souffle. Service impeccable.
Outstanding breakfast, fantastic choice inc eggs benedict, best full English we've every had.
Countryside and views are wonderful.

Room Tip: All rooms have something bit different but all seemed ok.no 7. Is a good standard room
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I were fortunate enough to have our wedding at Fishmore Hall. The service from day 1 was superb, Kim and her team did everything they could to ensure our day went perfectly.

I could not rate this hotel highly enough, its setting is beautiful, the rooms immaculate, the staff superb and the food served is an absolute must.

If you havent stayed, you will regret not going, this is a jewel.

Room Tip: All rooms are exceptional
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Feathers at Ludlow
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle
Travelodge Ludlow Hotel

Been to Fishmore Hall? Share your experiences!