“Nice locale, ok food.”

Unicorn Inn
Ranked #13 of 91 Restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Unicorn Inn is a family run pub which resides in a beautiful riverside location. The pub itself is a grade two listed building with many old features that add to its unique character. From the wooden beams to the uneven floor, from the welcoming and cosy atmosphere to the always helpful and friendly staff. We offer a high quality, freshly cooked, homemade menu with locally sourced ingredients and a selection of award winning local ales. We have three dining areas to choose from that each have their own charm. We also have an outside seating and garden area overlooking the river for those lovely summer days and evenings, and for the winter we have the one thing everybody enjoys two roaring fires.If you have any questions then please email and we will be happy to help.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Friendly service and good beer. Chicken Kiev a bit underwhelming; no real sign of any garlic butter and the Pork belly was a tad stringy - veg good.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked here and were allocated a table in the bar. I discovered on leaving that there is a restaurant but I was not asked when booking where we wanted to eat. Mains were good. I enjoyed the steak and ale pie and my wife the sea bass. However the deserts were disappointing - summer fruit crumble which quite frankly we could make much better at home. A downside to eating in the bar was that a customer came in with a dog which was not on a lead. The dog wound its way under and round our table. Not what you want in an eating place.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We we're recommended and were not disappointed. Tasty food and lots of it! Nicest fish cakes I've eaten and my husband had lamb shank, which he polished off completely. Very friendly, helpful staff, who apologised for the delay in our starters by pouring us a free drink. Nice atmosphere in the restaurant and although it was wet, we had a look at the garden, which would be gorgeous on a sunny day.

1  Thank Caroline B
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Most of the restaurants in Ludlow tend to either cheap and quick pub grub or what I class as 'fussy' food (the kind where you pay a lot but leave hungry) - the Unicorn is the perfect combination between the two. The food is better than normal 'pub grub' and is presented in a lovely fashion without being pretentious and all for an extremely good price.

The Unicorn has a nice little garden area which is perfect for pre-meal drinks. It also has two distinct restaurant areas that I saw, though one would be more appropriate for just drinks. We were seated in the back area, which was a lovely airy little room (though it did have a bit of a wonky floor!). Decorations were sparse but fitting to the room - the dried hops on the rafters were particularly nice.

The staff were superb, very unobtrusive but incredibly polite and courteous. The meals were bought very promptly and cleared away equally as quickly - it was perhaps a bit slower to get drinks refreshed but still a lot quicker than a number of other restaurants.

As previously mentioned the food is presented in a lovely manner and the portion sizes are really rather generous for the price. One of our party opted for a starter - the garlic mushrooms which was very good, and two of us opted for desserts - the crumble and the chocolate fondant. For mains we all went for different things - I opted for the slow cooked pork which was perfect (perhaps a bit bland on its own but when eaten with the black pudding and the jus it was really tasty), one of the party went for the steak which was perfectly cooked and incredibly tender, whilst our final member went for the lamb shank which fell straight off the bone.

I will definitely eat here again when back in the Ludlow area.

2  Thank LadyDoom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Lovely eatery & I would recommend a visit if you are in this part of the UK lovely setting staff friendly and food excellent.....I gave this place 9 out 10 but had to deduct a full mark when they did not accept Scottish money to pay my bill............ a bit a blot but would still recommend a visit!!!!