“What a treat!”

La Becasse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Ludlow Train Station 5 mins.
Description: La Bécasse offers award-winning fine dining in the picturesque town of Ludlow.The stunning oak-panelled restaurant and state-of-the art kitchens behind the scenes under the guidance of Head Chef Will Holland, attracted attention from the moment it opened as the sister restaurant to Berkshire restaurant L’ortolan, where chef patron Alan Murchison has held his Michelin star since 2003.Building on his life-long passion for cooking and the finest seasonal, ingredients, Chef Will Holland and his brigade work closely with local suppliers and producers, and wherever possible use produce that is ‘Local to Ludlow’.Since opening the doors in July 2007, the team at La Bécasse has been earning awards and accolades. A prestigious Michelin Star was awarded in January 2009; before that La Bécasse became Ludlow’s only restaurant with three AA Rosettes, was included in Harden’s Restaurant Guide as well as The Good Food Guide published by Which?, and was voted "Best Fine Dining Restaurant" in the West Midlands by Metro within four months of launching.“Fine dining should not be exclusive, pretentious or an intimidating experience,” says Chef Will Holland. "At La Bécasse we aim to provide great food, knowledgeable and professional service, and memorable experiences for all our guests. Winning a Michelin star within 18 months of opening is an acknowledgement of the huge effort that every member of the team has put in since we started.”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

It's a long way from Bath! After a 3 hour drive we were more than delighted with the delicious lunch. Sadly I don't get back here as often as before but Will's skill keeps pulling me back. Keep up the good work! Thank you!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked to eat at la Becasse on a recent trip to Ludlow. Although it no longer has a Michelin Star (because the chef moved), the food is very good. We arrived on a very warm evening and were taken to a small concrete yard at the back of the building, between the kitchen and the solid wall of the next door establishment. Here we had an aperitif while we chose from the menu (a la carte or tasting); and the wine list. We were then taken to a table in the restaurant. I noticed that the red wine I had chosen had been substituted by a more recent one, too young in my view; I was not told that this change had been made. When I pointed it out, I was told that they didn't have the one on the wine list. I declined to accept it and asked for two glasses of house red. The Chablis I had ordered from the wine list also turned out not to be available; I was offered a Petit Chablis instead (not on the wine list). I asked for two glasses of house white. The food was very good, and we enjoyed our meal; I would certainly not rate this restaurant ahead of Mr Underhill's, where we dined the next night, and which was excellent in every way.

1  Thank southern_gourmet17
Reviewed July 12, 2013

As a joint birthday treat my partner and I went upmarket and wanted to see what all the fuss is about with fine dinning. We after a wonderful evening I have come to the concussion that its is worth every penny ( well many ) . From the moment you walk in to the time you leave . You are made to fill special . The wine , food and service was fantastic and you love to do it more often but alas my wallet could not stand it . So it's next years birthday treat.

1  Thank tintin287
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Act 1: pre-dinner drinks upstairs in a memorable, oak lined room with ordinary nibbles and a sommelier who is confused by the word "martini" and recommend a nice wine that didn't match the food - it was clear that he is not a sommelier
Act 2: amuse bouche and appetisers direct from heaven
Act 3: suckling pig and chicken main courses that were over- salted but still very good
Act 4: red wine soufflé direct from heaven
Act 5: dessert wine confusion, but not included on the bill so let it pass
Act 6: £227 for 2
Overall: great food, great service, but neither without problems

1  Thank GrayMan2
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our meals and the entire experience were absolutely amazing, the BEST food and service we have ever had in a restaurant THANK YOU!