“Nearly perfect”

La Becasse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Ludlow Train Station 5 mins.
Description: La Bécasse offers award-winning fine dining in the picturesque town of Ludlow.The stunning oak-panelled restaurant and state-of-the art kitchens behind the scenes under the guidance of Head Chef Will Holland, attracted attention from the moment it opened as the sister restaurant to Berkshire restaurant L’ortolan, where chef patron Alan Murchison has held his Michelin star since 2003.Building on his life-long passion for cooking and the finest seasonal, ingredients, Chef Will Holland and his brigade work closely with local suppliers and producers, and wherever possible use produce that is ‘Local to Ludlow’.Since opening the doors in July 2007, the team at La Bécasse has been earning awards and accolades. A prestigious Michelin Star was awarded in January 2009; before that La Bécasse became Ludlow’s only restaurant with three AA Rosettes, was included in Harden’s Restaurant Guide as well as The Good Food Guide published by Which?, and was voted "Best Fine Dining Restaurant" in the West Midlands by Metro within four months of launching.“Fine dining should not be exclusive, pretentious or an intimidating experience,” says Chef Will Holland. "At La Bécasse we aim to provide great food, knowledgeable and professional service, and memorable experiences for all our guests. Winning a Michelin star within 18 months of opening is an acknowledgement of the huge effort that every member of the team has put in since we started.”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I went here after hearing what a food mecca Ludlow was. It was a crisp cold evening with snow still on the ground and wandering through the door to such a warm welcome was just lovely. The creaky stairs and uneven floor in the upstairs bar area were full of understated charm and a delightful prequel to the dinner that was to come. Before I get on the the food I must mention the service. Without exception I found the staff a delight; well, perhaps I don't like being called madam quite so often but, hey, it's politeness and possibly shows more of my personality that I interpreted it as meaning I was ancient!! Joking aside though the staff really are a credit to the place. They judged us perfectly and the service was attentive enought without being overbearing. The food was some of the best I have had. If I could offer any criticism then to me it was under seasoned, but then that is my personal preference and I doubt many others would agree. In any event that is a minor quibble about what was a very fine meal indeed. yes, it's not cheap - and I admit I came away wondering whether a meal for two was worth circa £250 even when it was very good indeed. But then I realised that, yes, although it is a significant amount of money and I realise I am lucky to have been able to enjoy the 'experience' given the current climate but for those of you lucky enough to spend that amount on a meal then that is what you pay for - its not just the food, which was super, but the 'experience' too. It's an occasion place and it was certainly a memorable occasion for me!

1  Thank JMA_Chester
There are newer reviews for La Becasse

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went with friends who were kind of sharing a birthday, the birthdays being about two weeks apart. The service and food was exquisite, as it should be, this is not a cheap restaurant, but the price was well justified in quality, presentation and taste.

The highlight for my wife and I was the warm "amuse bouche", we had had a cold one and had not realised there would be a second hence our slightly startled look at what appeared to be some crumbs and a spoonful of soup. Once we established it wasn't the main event though we were able to savour a brilliant butternut squash soup with some parmesan crumbs. If this is ever offered as a starter take it, you will never have a better soup.

For a special occasion this restaurant is the dogs doo dahs. We will go again, not immediately as it's a wallet cruncher, but my goodness it's worth every penny. If the staff and owners read these reviews then pat yourselves on the back. Fabulous.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have been to La Becasse on several occasions and it is totally consistent. The food is imaginative without being 'too clever'. Since opening, the front of house has changed, and the current team are just fantastic - knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly. On our most recent visit we dined in the new 'No. 1 Vaults', a room where you can watch the chefs at work in the kitchen. We had the 10-course tasting menu with wines to match each course, and everything was perfect. Each course is served by Chef Will Holland, personally, who explains each dish and welcomes your feedback. He is extremely personable and obviously enjoys what he does.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Having visited before and enjoyed the gourmand menu with wine pairing we knew how good La Becasse can be. This visit was for my son's 18th birthday and the experience was perfect from beginning to end.

The service is friendly and attentive without being overpowering, the surroundings are elegant without being fussy and the food - in both quality and presentation - is some of the best we've eaten. The final touch was the arrival of a plate of the most delicious macaroons on a bespoke iced 'Happy Birthday' plate and an invitation to visit to the kitchen to meet the chef.

Although this is certainly not a cheap night out I really don't think you'll get a better all round dining experience in Shropshire. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We visited To celebrate our anniversary and had the most wonderful evening.food was outstanding and all locally sauced . Would love to visit again soon