“Good food - good evening.”
Review of Mr Underhill's at Dinham Weir - CLOSED

Mr Underhill's at Dinham Weir
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Came here for my partners birthday and really enjoyed it, though I personally found it slightly overpriced for what it was.

There was no atmosphere in the little restaurant just silence, some may like that. There was 6 of us and the bill was £530, very steep for what it was bit we had a good night.

I heard great reviews for here so gave it ago, they said they would bring out a little happy birthday treat for my partner which they didn't and the menu couldn't be sent to us via email as they don't have one?!? I found out the menu on the Thursday where as the day after (Friday) we were due to be there...I got told taster starters though she didn't know what we were going to have, and the then smoked hake which was haddock and lamb. I asked what the lamb was going to be accompanied with and got told she wasn't sure, then a pudding and a coffee.

So the planning and informing customers would be an advantage next time folks!

I have been to other Michelin stars and been incredibly happy with paying over the odds for a great evening, this one was 'good'.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I read most of the comments left by other guests and sometimes wonder whether I am at the same restaurant.Several comments have been left which were directed directly at Judy the chef/owners wife.Well all I can say is I found her very pleasant and easy to talk to at all times.As for 'no photographs' well she actually took a number for us and decided 'no flash' gave a better pic.So what can I say ? We booked The Shed eventually ,as they do not take bookings more than 3 months ahead ,on her personal recommendation.It is easily the best room with dual aspect views across the river and weir.The Juliet balcony has an electric shutter, double glazed french windows and heavy curtains,Now, of course you can hear the river infact it was in flood and only a few feet away.You must decide whether you can handle a little river noise permeating the room and book accordingly. The wine list is comprehensive, service is professional and the food, which is what we are here for was interesting, well presented but obviously not cheap.Breakfast is straight forward with no frills & fancies and as there are only 6 guests, quickly served which suits me.Overall, would I go again ? Yes, perhaps I am easier to please than most folks,but I suggest you read the vast majority of excellent reviews and take 'em on board ! Enjoy and give my best wishes to Billy The Cat !

Reviewed February 16, 2014

The welcome was warm, the table perfect and the food awesome. We have eaten in many excellent restaurants all over the world and this goes way near the top of a long and illustrious list.
Maybe others with negative opinions ate on an unfortunate night - or have a different palate - but we simply could not fault the entire experience. The friends we were with had eaten here several years ago and still found it as excellent as the first time. The staff were warm, attentive and efficient without being intrusive - a difficult balancing act and the wines chosen to complement the tasting menu were superb. Our thanks to all and we will certainly be returning.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Managed to get a table for dinner whilst on a short break. The food was great, interesting and well presented. It was a shame that each course was not explained as it was placed in front of us, we had to ask what some were. The whole experience was rather underwhelming. We almost walked out after sitting for ten minutes upon our arrival without being asked if we would like a pre dinner drink. The orders for drinks/wine seemed to be one person's domain and as this is a Tasting Menu restaurant all diners are asked to arrive for 8, consequently all need wine orders within a short time span. As we were not staying in one of their rooms we had to walk through the "garden" to reach the door into the restaurant. The whole back area is poorly lit and signed.

1  Thank mrscoml
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We had dinner here recently for the first time and now bitterly regret that we had not visited before. Every item on the tasting menu was superb and there were delightful contrasts. The duck liver custard and the braised beef sandwich were particularly memorable. There was an excellent wine list and a good choice of half bottles which was useful as there were only two of us and my husband was driving. Service was very friendly and at just the correct pace and we thought the bill was very reasonable for such a high quality meal. We loved the resident cat, Billy, such a character! We can't wait to come here again and look forward perhaps to coming later in the year when we can enjoy the lovely garden and views.