“Fantastic ****”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
wirral,england
“Fantastic ****”
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Just returned from this small, But very friendly and very comfortable hotel, Just reading some of the past reviews in dis-belief ?? It's NOT the hotel that we've just come back from !!!
All i can say is the place must have changed in the last few months, As we found it just what the doctor ordered !! It is a really great hotel with friendly staff, And let me assure you the food were just fantastic !!
The rooms are massive to some of the pokey little holes that we have stayed in the past, and as this was mothers day weekend, The was a really nice bunch of Daffs
and a BIG box of Dairy Milk Chocolates waiting for us on arrival. The Rooms are clean and well maintained, The views to the castle and surrounding area are just fantastic,
The bar was very good with all you would expect from a hotel of this size, also it is open
to non-residents, who are the most friendliest of people you could wish to meet.
We had a Mothers day Lunch which was superb AND they even give you the little pot of flowers that are on your table when you finish !! Just Nice little touches like this don't cost the earth BUT to me make such a BIG difference.
Yes it is NOT in the centre of town, It is about a 10 min VERY pleasant walk past the castle,( up -hill ) to a town with plenty of pubs,cafes, takeaways, and small shops, there are some fantastic old wooden beamed buildings that add a wonderful character to the place, coupled with a really nice castle ruins that have the most amazing views from the top of the towers
The hotel is pretty and has a nice little garden and patio area for you to sit and enjoy,
and also has a small quiet room to relax in away from the bar for a spot of reading or socializing etc.
Both me and the wife would go back tomorrow, If you wish a quiet and relaxing break with great views and friendly locals, this is the place for you, if you want a young party atmosphere i would suggest this aint for you

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
southampton
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We stayed for Valentine's weekend, the room was spacious and comfortable if a little outdated, the bathroom was en-suite and excellant and very clean, the bed was comfortable and we also had a sofa and a tv in our room, sadly not with digital channels, our valentines package included a bottle of sparkling wine, a large box of chocs and a lovely vase of daffodils in our room on our arrival. The food was good and traditional but well cooked and plenty of it. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, there was ample parking and our room had a fantastic view of Ludlow castle, the only critisms I have are there is no disabled access and the steps up to and inside the hotel are steep, and the hairdryer was in the bedroom and not in the dressing area attached to the bathroom which had a large mirror but no lights!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Surrey England
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I had a very warm welcome at this small hotel. My room was comfortable and recently decorated, modern TV, good bar. The breakfast of lightly cooked scrambled eggs was cooked to perfection. Although a little distance from the town centre, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Ludlow

• Liked — Recently redecorated, very clean
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank EchoTango
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2006

Having just returned from a lovely weekend at the Cliffe Hotel I did not recognize it from the previous reviewer's comments.

We found it most pleasant; our room was large and comfortable with lovely views and a spacious bathroom. Breakfast was freshly cooked, service was friendly and efficient, and there was plenty of choice. How nice to find somewhere still serving fried bread and to have a large pot of tea and extra hot water.

We did not eat in the restaurant but the Bar was a pleasant place to spend an evening and again the service was friendly and efficient.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family/friends.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin
Reviewed May 1, 2006

I spent two nights here, a Saturday and Sunday. The hotel itself is lovely on the outside. A nice red-brick building in beautiful scenery, a ten minute walk from Ludlow.

However, on the inside things are pretty dire. The restaurant and bar serve food and drink as dull as the decor. Very dated and staid. On my first morning the limited but grease-heavy menu allowed little choice. I had the scrambled eggs and toast. This was made with copious amounts of cheddar. Tasted of cheese and not eggs. Stodgy and vile. The toast was fine, so that's all I had for my second breakfast.

As for the room, it was much like the rest of this hotel's interior, with the addition of random furniture. Thick but old carpeted floors, an airwick plug-in freshener in the socket (thankfully a different scent from the one used in the hallway/stairs/landing), 14-inch remote-less TV, etc.

As the hotel was full for the second of the two nights I was charged the full rate: £40 per night for me and £40 per night for the single supplement. €235 ($300) is a lot of money for such a short stay in such a terrible hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank Gautama
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 24, 2005

I was on a cycling holiday with a friend and arrived at the Cliffe without a booking.

We were very cordially greeted by Reception and then later the Proprietor.

My room, at £40.00 and which included breakfast, was large and most comfortable with a nice view over the front of the hotel. The bed gave me the best night's sleep I had in a couple of days!!

Breakfast was excellent - sorry, but I do like fried bread!! These guys know how to fry a nice bit of bread added to that my special requests for breakfast made it most memorable.

This hotel is just outside Ludlow. Getting to the Hotel, you have to cross a bridge which is very scenic. I am only sorry that they had rooms available for us. Such a nice hotel should be full all the time and not be left at 6.00pm still with rooms available.

If you visit Ludlow, this one is not "top of the range" but absolutely great value for money and I cannot imagine anyone being in the least bit disappointed.

Of particular note was the Breakfast Waitress / Trainee Housekeeper. Most charming and helful.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Fishmore Hall
Overton Grange Country Hotel
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle

Been to The Cliffe at Dinham? Share your experiences!