Tripadvisor

The Salwey Arms
Ranked #26 of 100 Restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Lovingly restored in 2013, the Salwey Arms offers a wide and diverse range of dining, drinking and entertaining facilities. The Salwey is superbly located on the junction of the A456 and A49 in South Shropshire, 2 miles south of Ludlow and is well known to everyone in the area. We are easy to find and have a large car park. We offer a relaxed and informal bistro style dinning in three beautiful rooms. Our food policy is to offer high quality, seasonal, local food at a reasonable price. With a wide selection of wines and with local beer and cider on tap the Salwey is the perfect place to stop for breakfast, lunch or dinner, whether you are en-route, enjoying a meal with friends or on a romantic weekend away in one of our 5 luxury letting rooms.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked in with my family (5 of us) for my belated birthday meal 21/01/20, we were warmly greeted and shown to our table. The two waitresses working tonight were SO lovely, attentive, joined in with our silliness and tolerated us noisy bunch well!

I shared the Seafood Grazing Board with my Dad (minus the chips) as a starter and it was lovely. My partner had the Thai Chicken & Prawn Cake and was thoroughly impressed.
For mains my Dad had the Chicken Supreme and for someone not fond of carrots he raved about the entire dish. I had the venison and it was absolutely heavenly. Clean plates all round!
All in all we had an absolutely fantastic evening with excellent service alongside honest, fresh and homemade food to a high standard.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (436)

Reviewed January 13, 2020

Started with a web enquiry to check if The Salwey Arms could cater for a vegan, and were happy for a dog in the dining area too. I got a very quick and helpful response and so booked a table! My family, who had travelled up from Somerset, immediately commented on how well presented the pub looked inside and out, and staff were available to greet and seat us straight away, It was lovely to find a water bowl for the dog right by the table, very nice touch! My sister was surprised to find a CHOICE of vegan mains, and was very happy with her meal, and pudding! The rest of us went for the roast dinner, and were impressed by the quality and taste of ALL the ingredients, because lets face it, most pubs will fall short on one part of a roast dinner at least! Pudding was yummy too! Staff were helpful and attentive throughout and the price paid for meals and drinks was very reasonable indeed. Will be going here again for sure and would recommend without hesitation. I am very grateful for the wonderful experience, particularly given that it was my Mother's birthday that day! Thank you Salwey Arms!

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed January 8, 2020 via mobile

Stopped off en route to Wales. Great fresh cooked full english. Coffee is a good blend and proper condiments.

Reviewed January 6, 2020

I have been visiting The Salwey Arms regularly for a number of years, and regularly meet a number of friends here, for coffee, lunch and in the past evening meals and Sunday Lunches. Sadly, my experience with the food today was well below par!!! And not what I would expect.
I ordered from the Bar Snacks Menu, a hot Steak and fried Onion sandwich on brown bread.I have had this sandwich in the past and its always been fine. On arrival i could see that something had changed with the composition of the ingredient, and the presentation of the same. The beef of the sandwich was more like mince, and the largest piece was the size of my small fingernail, the onions also had been cut and fried in very small pieces, and mixed with a mustard sauce which made the bread sodden, and difficult to pick up. On previous experiences the beef was thinly sliced, along with the onions and it felt a 'hearty' sandwich. I cut the bread into quarters,as it was impossible to pick up, and the quarter with the most beef had three small pieces!! Accompanying this was some fried vegetables which usually come from a local supplier in a bag. I think i had the end of the bag as there was just small pieces on the plate. At a cost of £6.95 I really don't think this represented good value for money. When the waitress collected my plate, of which i had left some, i did tell her of my complaint and reasons,I also showed her the inside of the sandwich I had left on the plate, and she said she would mention it to 'them'? Unfortunately, there was no offer of an apology from her or 'them', and no offer of remuneration either.
Very sad.

Reviewed January 5, 2020

Had a Sunday lunch with my family and 15 month old grandson .Staff were very friendly and attentive went out of their way to make our visit a lovely experience, child’s food came out with the starters which was very helpful . Food was very good along with the atmosphere and log fire . I would highly recommend a visit .