“Pie and a pint!”
Review of The Church Inn

The Church Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Church Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 89 Restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Pie and a pint!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Called in to the Church inn and had an amazing Pie and a pint. There are so many pies to choose from. When ordering, i expected the pie to be full of vegetables with a little meat mush, but no, the pie was large and full of chunky meat with supporting vegetables.
Well kept beer made the evening one to remember.
Memorabilia on the upstairs walls also kept us occupied. Well worth a visit!

• Visited November 2013

• Polish first
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Pie to Die for”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

A plethora of pies fill the menu with a vast array of fillings to tempt the pallet.
the pies are fresh made and this is very easy to tell when they are served piping hot and fresh tasting. the mashed potato is light and delicate and full of flavour and the gravy accompaniment is delicious. service was impeccable and the environment was friendly and warming.
anyone looking for a proper British meal of Pie& Mash you could do no wrong by visiting the Church Inn and sampling some delicious pies

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Pie disaster”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was really looking forward to having a pie in this pub. I had heard a lot about it and the wide selection they have to offer. People aren't wrong! The selection is great. There are all sorts of pies! I couldn't wait to dig in. I ordered a chicken pie. We had to wait nearly 2 hours for our food. It nearly got to the point where I just wanted to leave. I also didn't find the atmosphere particularly friendly either. It wasn't a welcoming feel we felt when walking through the door. When my pie came it was a bowl of water with some awfully dry pieces of chicken floating in it. It looked like dishwater and didn't taste much different either. I couldn't believe how disappointing it was. Although, saying that, my mum had a steak pie and it was delicious. So that's something they can obviously make. I would love to reccommend this place, but I'm not sure I can after the awful pie I was served.

• Visited April 2013
Church I, Manager at The Church Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thanks for this feedback. Upon contact by email this reviewer was good enough to expand, and I quote...

"It was in the 25th September that we visited. I can't remember the names of any staff that spoke to us. We communicated with 3 or 4. I have read the other reviews and I can see that people do not often leave disappointed. Even friends have visited and recommended it. My other half said it is the best fillet steak he has ever had. So that's brilliantly high praise.
I will be visiting again closer to Christmas and just put the disastrous pie down to it being an off day.
The staff were all very friendly and we had a lovely night apart from the food."

The review was fed back to staff, whereupon the issue of timing of food delivery was challenged (our food service in total is only 2.5hrs long, and 40mins constitutes a long wait, usually communicated to customers placing an order only during a very busy period). The chicken ("Funghi") pie is one of our "standards", always available and we have had no other adverse feedback on it. It is made in-house to a set recipe. Otherwise we appreciate your other comments and look forward to you returning; I am glad your experience has not put you off!
Shavington
“Nice atmosphere, great food & beer”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I popped in with my wife and mother & father in law for lunch. First impression is of a traditional pub atmosphere; welcoming and comfy. Various locals sat about enjoying a pint. We grabbed menus and ordered pies and drinks. The beer was very well kept and the food served quickly. The pies are very good, packed full of meat and all in a tasty sauce. I had chips and peas with mine, I could have done with a few more chips to be honest but certainly still a good portion. Highly recommended.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
“Takeaway a Pie”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

we did not eat in,but had takeaway,The Pies are full of filling,and what a choice there is,very good value as well.We also went in several times for a drink,during our time in Lulow and found it a friendly place.

1 Thank mariannatin