“Great Local Pub”

The Church Inn
Ranked #35 of 89 Restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great Local Pub”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

You can get a pint of mild here, something we rarely see in the South! Down to earth and the locals are very friendly.

Visited April 2013

• Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great pies and beer”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

After a long walk in the cold my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the pies we had here. They were absolutely delicious. The beer was great as well but we were too full that night after the pies so had to come back a couple of nights later in order to fully enjoy the real ales on offer. A really nice pub with a great atmosphere. We'll definitely return when next in Ludlow.

• Visited April 2013
Wirral, United Kingdom
“Pie Heaven”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Ludlow is awash with eateries including many pubs. So with my part of 6 having decided upon a pub lunch the question of which one to visit was not easy. However something was drawing me to the Church Inn. It might have been its positioning upon a quaint narrow street adjacent to St Laurence's Church. Or perhaps it was its signage telling the world about its manifold types of pie and real ales. Either way we stepped into the Church Inn and in no time were being directed to the upper dining room where we had a large table, and indeed room, to ourselves. A variety of menus were acquired with some serving the range of fayre that one would normally expect in a pub. But the Church Inn also had a separate pie menu. In fact this was less a menu and more a directory of pies many with wacky names such as Bully Bully and Fidgety Bottom. Pies are available according to season so only those with a red sticker could be ordered. This still left a great choice. All 6 of us decided it had to be a pie. I chose a Wobbly Grunter which was pork based. My daughter had Bully Bully (beef) whereas others had Ludlow Blue Bull (also beef). These were served with chips and peas although mash was also available. Wine, beer and soft drinks were also ordered and the bill came to around £70 which was less than I'd paid for 3 to eat the French Pantry the day before. I have to say the Church Inn lunch was the more enjoyable meal. The pies were filled deep and had lovely gravy. The bonus of in effect having our own 'function room' in the pub added to the enjoyment. All 6 of us left with bellies full and hearts content. I am so glad I was strangely drawn to the Church Inn and my 5 companions congratulated me on my choice. I look forward to visiting again in future.

Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
“Pies to die for!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were looking for a pub lunch on a snowy March early afternoon, and stumbled across the Church. We were shown a huge table for 5 upstairs, and all chose various Ludlow pies, served with various accompionments including the most fantastic tomato relish. The place was spotless, the various musician instruments hanging from the walls fascinating, the beer and winter pimms excellent, and the staff attitude and helpfulness just as it should be. Difficult to find fault, so I won't. Go there and pie out!!!

Birmingham
“Best choice of beer in Ludlow”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We didn't eat here but stopped off in the afternoon for a few beers. It's a good job that they offer you a "beer paddle" - three thirds of different real ales lined up - otherwise you wouldn't know where to start. They have many locally brewed beers, including some brewed in Ludlow itself. They also stock an excellent range of whiskeys and gins, but also do tea and coffee for your more sober companions.