“excellent”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

visited the French Pantry on the 27th march and had a very enjoyable evening ,the two girls who were serving were very friendly and helpfull about the menu.
I opted for the set menu as al;so did my wife .
I chose the rabbit which i had never eaten before , it was delicious as was the chefs humour as he presented it to look like a rabbit.
All in all a great meal which we both enjoyed and reasonably priced.
Would reccomend to anyone.

1  Thank dessie3

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Tucked away in a narrow old, now pedestrianised, Ludlow street this is a little gem of a restaurant. Good and simple French food, courteous staff, and a maitre de who is welcoming but not intrusive. The meal and wine will not break the bank

Joyce Brand

1  Thank joyce b
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Managed to get a last minute cancellation at the French Pantry and I'm very glad we did.
As it was our first time in Ludlow we were a little undecided where to go and didn't have a computer access to check anywhere out on TA.
We couldn't get in the first night we wanted as it was full, but Simon courteously rang me and offered me a cancellation the next evening.
Great service from the start and a pleasant ambience.
I had the crab starter and Rabbit roti main and my partner had the mushroom starter and cassoulet as main, with a Merlot between us to help it down.
Beautiful food nicely prepared and presented.
We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and have booked again for a re-visit later this year when the food festival is on.
Recommended as a great place to eat at a reasonable price.
Well done everyone at The Pantry !

2  Thank gd427
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My party of 3 chose this restaurant in part because it was one of the few open in Ludlow on a Monday night when many other eateries are closed. Another reason is that we are interested in the French language although as it turned out none was spoken here with the staff being English. In fact one amusing thing to note is that the blackboard outside refers to it serving French coffee. When I enquired about what types of French coffee they had the reply came back 'cappucino, latte, espresso....' all without a hint of irony. Anyway onto the food. I made a poor choice by going for crab as a starter. I say a poor choice because my companions both had the French onion soup which, having sneaked a spoonful myself, can confirm their opinions that these were excellent. In contrast my crab was bland with a texture of soft pate but with no discernible flavour. Possibly more seasoning might have helped. However the main course made up for this disappointment. Two of us had rabbit and it was no trouble for the staff to change the listed accompaniments as one of us didn't want gnocchi and the other didn't want mushroom sauce. These were well seasoned and very tasty. We skipped desserts partly driven by cost as the bill was now touching £80. This included a nice bottle of Merlot and a glass of lemonade (which had to be procured by a staff member from a local shop because they didn't have any). The restaurant is small but with a pleasant ambience and we were in good moods at the start of our holiday anyway so perhaps 4 stars is a little generous given the disappointing starter and the cost. However the staff were very pleasant and the soup and mains were very good so all in all I think the rating is deserved.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Excellent little restaurant. Went in to try the 2 course dinner but ended up having 3 courses and to hell with the diet!
Starter was good but I was really impressed with the pork and prune stew - a decent helping but could have eat more it was so delicious.
Unlike many other restaurants they charge the same price for the cheese board as for other 'sweets' and for this you get a generous selection of 3 French cheeses and bread.
Wine selection is good starting from about £15 per bottle.
Service is prompt and friendly.