“Fabulous evening”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
“Fabulous evening”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Difficult to find any fault with this small, friendy and intimate restaurant. Great French decor and comfortable seating around the half dozen or so tables. With around six choices of every course, obviously freshly prepared (for around £25 for 3 courses on a Saturday night), and a wine list that rivals the top London restaurants, we had the perfect evening. Muscles, onion soup, quenelle, duck confit, tarragon chicken, and the most fabulous skate paella, the food was of outstanding quality. The service was very efficient and friendly but 'hidden', ie they only appeared when you needed them. Where from I don't know! Overall, excellent customer service, great food and very, very French. Will no doubt return (if they'll have us, we had so much fun we made a bit of noise with our laughing)! Thanks guys!

1 Thank Andy-S60

London, United Kingdom
“warm and friendly”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

lovely place with friendly service,well worth a visit when in beautiful Ludlow,
Always look forward to eat there,reasonably priced,but ,most of all,very warm and welcoming
service by the staff!And good French wine.

3 Thank silvio290
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Just Go!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

As a local I think this is the best place to eat in Ludlow. It's unpretentious, friendly and great value for money. Other places in town may be great to name drop to your foodie friends but this is the town's best kept secret. My girlfriend and I have eaten here so often I've lost count. The staff are lovely and very accommodating, to the extent that they cook my girlfriend a special veggie option when there's not one on the menu. The only downside to the place is the fact that success has attracted a certain type of loafer and salmon trouser wearing patron who can tend be loud, rude and generally obnoxious. In a larger space this wouldn't be problem but in such a cosy space it can and has ruined a night out. All in all though the place is a hidden gem.

3 Thank TheSummerSkier
Oxfordshire, England
“I wish I lived in Ludlow”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

If we lived in or near Ludlow this would definitely be a regular haunt for us. My wife and I visited last Saturday night for our 39th wedding anniversary. We had thought about visiting La Becasse and spending 3 times the amount but I'm sure it wouldn't have been worth the extra. We had the two course dinner for £18.95 (too full for a dessert!) and it was really good. We've dined in France many times, close your eyes for a moment, forget Ludlow and we could have been back in France. The ambience, hustle, proximity of other tables was typically French, all it lacked were diners speaking french. The main course toulouse cassoulet was a hearty feast as good as any we've ever had. I liked the 500ml 'pichet' of wine as well - 2 large glasses of red for me and a separate glass of white for my wife. Good food, good ambience, good value - what more do you want? Highly recommended

2 Thank Tricky49
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely Saturday afternoon lunch in a very busy little bistro.”
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Amongst other things we enjoyed some wonderful French onion soup and a super coq au vin too. Hottest, most flavoursome coffee as well. Restaurant was busy, but we were not hurried, the ladies who looked after us were most attentive. Many potential customers who popped their heads in were very politely turned away as the restaurant was fully booked, but this in itself proved the only slight negative point of our visit - we had a table near the door which opens onto the street and it was forever opening and closing as potential diners and staff moved from cafe to restaurant and back - it meant that our experience wasn't quiet, restful or overly warm. I appreciate this cannot be helped but next time we'll request a table in the back as the top quality fayre demands a return visit.

1 Thank Marc C