“I wish I lived in Ludlow”
Review of The French Pantry

The French Pantry
Ranked #4 of 93 Restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2013

If we lived in or near Ludlow this would definitely be a regular haunt for us. My wife and I visited last Saturday night for our 39th wedding anniversary. We had thought about visiting La Becasse and spending 3 times the amount but I'm sure it wouldn't have been worth the extra. We had the two course dinner for £18.95 (too full for a dessert!) and it was really good. We've dined in France many times, close your eyes for a moment, forget Ludlow and we could have been back in France. The ambience, hustle, proximity of other tables was typically French, all it lacked were diners speaking french. The main course toulouse cassoulet was a hearty feast as good as any we've ever had. I liked the 500ml 'pichet' of wine as well - 2 large glasses of red for me and a separate glass of white for my wife. Good food, good ambience, good value - what more do you want? Highly recommended

2  Thank Tricky49

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Amongst other things we enjoyed some wonderful French onion soup and a super coq au vin too. Hottest, most flavoursome coffee as well. Restaurant was busy, but we were not hurried, the ladies who looked after us were most attentive. Many potential customers who popped their heads in were very politely turned away as the restaurant was fully booked, but this in itself proved the only slight negative point of our visit - we had a table near the door which opens onto the street and it was forever opening and closing as potential diners and staff moved from cafe to restaurant and back - it meant that our experience wasn't quiet, restful or overly warm. I appreciate this cannot be helped but next time we'll request a table in the back as the top quality fayre demands a return visit.

1  Thank Marc C
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Our first visit to this wonderful restaurant for lunch with friends on my birthday The food was pefect and could not fault the friendly and efficient service .As a resident of Ludlow it will be difficult to resist eating here frequently!!!!! Hopefully on our next visit the very rude and noisy group of 7 "ladies" who the rest of the customers were all complaining about will be eating elsewhere!!!!!!! We did hope that the volume would decrease with the arrival of their food but no such luck.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Not cheap, but very friendly service and great tasting food. Wine by the carafe was also very welcome and good quality. Attentive service but not overbearing. A nice option in Ludlow.

2  Thank tal27
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We booked to eat here on a Wednesday night, followed by La Becasse ( see review) on the Thursday night.
We had a very jolly night here. Very good staff, and we enjoyed the 50cl wine, two of them in-fact! followed by a good new beer, which we have not had before.
Very French cooking, with classic menu. The mussels were the sweetest and fattist I had ever eaten. The Duck confit was a little salty, but I still eat it all ! All very French tasting. Great bread and butter.
The chef needs to do some teaching at Zedel in London, a simular menu to The French pantry, but they do not know how to cook it like this.
I wish we had booked both nights here, as we did not enjoy La Becasse much the next night.

1  Thank foodygirl2