The Feathers at Ludlow
  • Breakfast included
The Longmynd(Church Stretton)
TripAdvisor
1,158 results
All reviewsfour poster bedcoach tripjacuzzi bathhistoric hotelcar parksecret escapes dealwriting roomcoach partylovely old hotelfirst floorold buildingpublic roomscreaking floorboardsa bit tiredbeautiful buildinghuge roomsteeped in history
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Having visited the Feathers on a number of occasions in the past, both for bar food and drinks, and always found excellent beer and bar service, I contacted them by phone to enquire about holding a future party there.
Firstly I was told by the woman I spoke to that she would pass on the details to the gentleman who deals with such things, and he would contact me. Nothing!
When I eventually managed to speak with the guy concerned, he seemed to have no interest, and was both dismissive and quite rude.
As a result we have decided not to hold the party at the Feathers! A great shame, when one member of staff lets the side down.

2  Thank IsaP672013
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I eat regularly here and I can honestly say we cannot fault the food. The hotel has a reputation of its own but it's the restaurant that brings us back over and over again!
The menu changes seasonally and the quality of the produce is wonderful. The head chef and his team do a fantastic job with flavours and the overall outcome is delightful.
My daughter got married here earlier this year and it was magical. The staff were fabulous and the chef couldn't of put on a better spread.
The price is more than you would pay at a standard pub or carvery but I'm a true believer in "you get what you pay for." The feathers restaurant is one of our favourites locally.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Mrsfarmer39
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I have just been on my first UK coach tour which stayed at The Feathers for four nights. We have had a very pleasant stay and several reviewers have commented on the history of the hotel and Ludlow town. Once you get past the Jacobean façade and the 16th century panelled lounges, this is a pretty basic 3 star hotel (with 5 star bar and restaurant prices) and the standard double room was in need of some modernisation. Breakfast was very good with hot food prepared to order and there was an adequate continental selection available. Our group dinners were adequate at best and the Christmas Day meal was very poor - lukewarm with undercooked vegetables and a chocolate mousse that looked like something unmentionable. The service from a mainly young staff was warm, efficient and friendly - a great credit to the management. I would go again for its location as a touring base, but would probably dine out in future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ian4
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had heard and read many good reports about The Feathers and it was mentioned by locals on our trip too. With that in mind we gave the bar meals a go and it was superb. On a cold November evening sat with a glass of real ale, surrounded by all the history and in front of a real log fire does take some beating! The food was excellent and plentiful, the young staff were attentive and the atmosphere truly enchanting.

2  Thank Puredodee
Reviewed November 5, 2013

It's totally stunning from the outside, but would the Feathers deliver on the inside? In short it did and it did so in spades. Before our stay, I read with some trepidation, complaints from T.A., contributors, that had a resonance with some of my own hotel experiences. However, from the moment we parked the car to check-out, things could not have been better.

Our room was in the newer annexe, to the rear of the hotel. So the complaints some visitors had regarding noise from the street at the front, wasn't an issue for us. It was one of the four-poster rooms and was very spacious. It had all the amenities one could wish for and they all worked just fine. It was also clean, apart from a couple of small splashes on the wall, adjacent to the coffee and tea making station. There were some signs of normal wear and tear. I mention this, only as some posters seem to think that rooms should remain in a pristine “just decorated” condition, ad infinitum.

All of the staff were excellent - and I mean excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and their work rate was quite astonishing.

Some of the public rooms are breathtaking. The English may have to “give the nod” to Europe, when it comes to working in marble but when dealing with wood, (and in particular oak), you'll find no better (IMHO) than on this island. At check-out, I told the receptionist how beautiful I found the upstairs public rooms and their wonderful Jacobean carvings. His reply summed up why the Feathers has to be top of the list, for anyone visiting Ludlow - “They are beautiful aren't they. You won't get that in a chain-hotel will you”? Amen to that!

Room Tip: 145 was quiet, spacious and comfortable.
1  Thank JandApe