“Very pleasant ”

The Wheatsheaf Inn Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 99 Restaurants in Ludlow
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Historic Inn set in the beautiful medieval town of Ludlow Shropshire. Five characterful letting rooms, all with en-suite facilities. Home cooked, freshly prepared menus, using locally sourced ingredients, also with vegetarian and vegan options.
Reviewed July 27, 2019 via mobile

We ordered 2 chicken curry, rice and popadom. The service was attentive and when food arrived was very tasty, and we finished everything. Very good value and clean and pleasant environment.

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (231)

Reviewed July 23, 2019

A family evening meal in a traditional pub - no jukebox or (even worse) pool table. Just a very friendly welcome from the charming Zoe and her delightful waiting staff.
Good food - we had the fish and chips, the lamb shank and the belly pork - all pronounced excellent. Inexpensive.
A delightful experience.

Reviewed July 8, 2019

We enjoyed our meal in here. I had the asparagus soup and hubby had linguine with a lovely sauce. We shared the cheese board which was more than enough for us. Lovely old building with friendly locals and a good atmosphere. A nice casual meal was enjoyed.

Reviewed July 7, 2019

Poor food for the money - Yorkshire pudding flat and soggy, vegetabled undercooked, so called roast potatoes seemed to have been fried so tasteless. Not good and I won't be going back

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed July 6, 2019

As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the pub does not display any meal prices. Just a list of choices on a blackboard. More fool me for not asking the price before putting in the order.
I ordered beef and Yorkshire pudding and my wife, lamb tagine.
When the meal was served, I asked why there was no Yorkshire pudding on my plate as indicated on the menu list. I was told that they were ' out of Yorkshire puddings". Don't see how a place that charges £15.95 for this meal runs out of Yorkshires - they should at that price be freshly made !
Besides that my meal was school dinner like at best - slices of tired looking beef, three boiled potatoes and veg covered in lots of gravy. Ok for maybe £10 at a push but £15.95 - no way.
My wife's lamb tagine was bland but again ok for around a tenner but not the £14.95 we were charged.
When I said that we were not happy with the meals the lady behind the bar said something about they were swapping over the chef. She knocked off our drinks from the bill so fair play there but we still paid £29.85 for two poor meals and the blackboard still said Yorkshire puddings with forerib of beef as we left.
We were only staying Ludlow for one night and went to the Wheatsheaf as we remembered having nice meal a few years back.
Overall - a very disappointing start to our evening in a town known for its food.