“Good for the nostalgia”

Cuisines: Italian, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Visited on a grey and drizzly day. The front shop looks fabulous and welcoming and the reception area with a nice open fire is pretty. The cafe has a Victorian feel and very much prides itself on being in business for over 100 years. The menu is extensive. The cream cake we had had far too much cream in proportion to the cake. The Welsh rarebit was tasty but very expensive - it works out at £1 for a rasher of bacon. £8.50 for one slice of bread is a lot regardless of quality. Tea and coffee was fine but the ambience seems just a little knocked around and jaded. The staff were very industrious and accommodating but not particularly warm. Best seats seem to be at the back of the cafe. Anywhere before or adjacent to the kitchens and you will have a lot of noise and passing customers and staff. In the current Ludlow market I think there will be a lot friendlier and comfortable places with better quality and value food

1  Thank Justaukcook
There are newer reviews for DeGrey's Tea Room

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I went in for a cup of tea in the morning and was shown a seat. However the waitresses seemed uninterested in taking my order, they were so busy chatting. I just left.
The blonde ladies in the shop could learn something about service too, I've been in a few times for pastries or bread, and they verging on rude, and NEVER smile. Such a shame as the kitchen obviously does a great job with the bakery, they are let down by Ms Grump.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We ate during a busy period, Easter Saturday lunch time. Although it was very busy and we had to wait to be seated (about 10 mins) it was well worth the wait. There were 6 of us and we were given a lovely round table upstairs. The waitresses were friendly and helpfull. The food was lovely, traditional English lunch time food, freshly prepared and served in a lovely old English building. Even though there were people waiting for tables we never felt rushed. We shall deffinately return.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Realised I last took tea in DeGrey's over twenty years ago - and it's still as good as I remembered. Olde worlde charm - some may say old fashioned but we like it like that. Excellent beverages and my companion spontaneously ordered a cheese and ham toastie in a decadent fashion. Absolutely delicious. Some of the best ham ever tasted. Some may say a little pricey at nearly £7 but we didn't need anything else to eat when we got home - top quality ingredients make it worth every penny.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I visited DeGreys a week or so ago. Step through the door and it's like 1950/1960 again...... There was a fire burning near the entrance and the waitresses (and waiters) were all in black and white uniforms.
We ate upstairs and the food was wholesome, well presented and pretty good value. We did not sample the cakes but wish we had! They looked fabulous....
This isn't some classy restaurant but IS a classy tearoom/cafe which serves very good down to earth food. Go there and sample a little of what was available in most large towns and cities before the multi-national food chains arrived.......