“Welsh rarebit in Shropshire”
Review of DeGrey's Tea Room - CLOSED

DeGrey's Tea Room
Cuisines: Italian, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Popped in for lunch and was transported back to tea with my Grandma. Uniforms and building are from another era but not the service or the food, charming.

Cheese in toast has never been so good, with embedded grilled tomato, another success.

Lovely experience, thank you.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Visited whilst on weekend break to Ludlow, we were looking forward to visiting the tea rooms but what a disappointment! The service was absolutely terrible, waited over 50 minutes for our food to arrive, and we had only ordered sandwiches, accompanied by hand cut chips, which were inedible, tasteless and undercooked, needless to say we returned them. We were intending to have cakes afterwards but gave up on that one, we paid the bill and left. The place itself was nice enough and the tea was good, but the service for food is very poor, there were lots of other disgruntled customers who complained, and left unhappy!

3  Thank thehistoryhunters_12
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The black and white outside tells you how old the building is and inside reflects this in charm. The tea shop is behind the cake shop. You wait to be seated and staff in black and white show you to a table. The menu is reasonable in length and variety. Prices might look a little high but this is Ludlow and the quality with the little extras make it worthwhile. For example sandwiches come with coleslaw, dressed salad and crisps. Service is always courteous and time to serve reasonable. Access for wheelchairs is possible but I don’t know about access to loos. Pushchairs welcome- 2 high chairs available

Reviewed January 8, 2013

but don't drink the coffee!

I'm sad to say that I was disappointed with my visit. I'm sure it's all very nice if you want a slice of nostalgia, but don't go there for a slice of cake.

My latte was thin, watery and tasteless and the éclair I was served tough with a skin of fake chocolate on top.

I really wouldn't suggest a visit other than for the wonderful interior and sense of history.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We enjoyed a fabulous lunch at DeGreys, and yes, it was like stepping back in time seeing the waitresses in their black and white uniforms, and china cups and saucers rattling on tea trays! The dining area was busy, with people waiting to be seated, but we got a table straightaway right in the heart of the restaurant. There was a lovely atmosphere and the service was polite and prompt, the food fantastic. A slice of Olde Worlde England, we'd definitely go back for more!

Top tip: save room for a cake!