“Dont stay here if you want to sleep before 12.30”
Review of The Malthouse

The Malthouse
Ranked #7 of 9 Ironbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We arrived as a party of six friends on a Friday afternoon having booked for three days into what we thought were going to be quieter annex rooms. On arrival we were immediately asked for payment in advance, I don’t think the lady running the place liked the fact that I asked to view the rooms before we paid (something incidentally that I have never been asked to do before) the rooms were clean and serviceable and although not in an annex and obviously above the “Jazz Bar” we thought this would not be a problem as we all enjoy jazz.
We unpacked, went out and enjoyed some of the museums of Iron bridge, returning to have a drink and dinner, which was reasonably good although at £246 for the six of us a little expensive, we then retired to bed at about 10.30 for a little TV and a good night’s sleep before continuing our tour of the area the next day. It was on leaving the bar we were in and going to the bottom of the stairs to our rooms that we realised that the live music playing was not jazz but VERY LOUD ROCK.
Trying to sleep was obviously impossible; watching the TV was equally impossible as we were in rooms directly above the band and the volume was such that the pictures on the wall were actually vibrating.
The loud live music finished at about 11.30 then slightly less noisy music was on until 12.00, then the place emptied of people by about 12.20 we then tried to sleep, however we were in the pink room towards the rear of the building but our friends were in rooms at the front and had the noise of people disbursing for much longer.
Breakfast was somewhat disappointing with coffee that I found undrinkable, cheap sausages, poor quality juice and a choice of only 2 cereals, my partners scrambled egg was so poor that it was left uneaten and by the time it arrived all of our meals were barely warm.
We asked about the noise and were told that as it finished at 11.30 it has never been a problem, also two of our party mentioned that the TV in their room that wasn’t working on arrival and had been replaced with another TV that was also not working.
We decided to persist, live with the noise for one more night and be very British and not do what we should have done and demand our money back and leave.
We had another good day out and came back at about 9pm but could not park on the small car park at the front (having already been told that there was no other parking available) we found parking on the road opposite. We had a nice chat with the two bouncers on the door and then had a replay of the previous evening without the in-house meal and with the addition in our case of a couple standing outside our bedroom window smoking and chatting at about 1am (we think they were staying in the room next door and had come out through there window for a smoke)
At breakfast we were all now looking very jaded due to lack of sleep, two of our party had tea and juice and decided not to bother with anything else two more like myself asked for a cooked breakfast and my partner asked for toast. We came down at 9am had ordered by 9.05 and by 9.30 I had had enough of waiting and I and my partner just got up and left. Ten minutes later the remaining two came to our door saying that having asked if their breakfast would be much longer the landlady had exploded saying that we had none nothing but moan since we arrived and that if we didn’t like staying there that we should leave, also that if we didn’t pay our bar bill she would call the police (how insulting is that) we all jumped at the chance to get out of there paid our bills less the day we had not stayed and left 10 minutes later.
Unfortunately the car parked opposite along with about 10 others had been keyed during the night all along one side.
IF the owners of this pub made it clear that they were putting people in rooms above a rock band, IF the only people staying were going to see the rock band, IF they got their act together regarding breakfast, IF they told people that there was not enough parking for their car, IF their website said Rock Bar and not Jazz Bar, and IF they did not try to be a hotel when they are a pub catering to lovers of loud rock music they could avoid comments like mine – DONT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO SLEEP BEFORE 12.30AM
Finally I suppose I should be grateful that at the age of 54 I have finally been asked to leave somewhere, especially a rock pub. By the way I have been in the catering industry for most of my life including owning a hotel myself and have a fair idea of what makes a good place to stay and this is not it.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank ExHotelierAndChef

Reviewed November 9, 2009

Just returned from a rather disastrous weekend at this b and b in a pub. On the plus side, the rooms were very clean, and though not decorated to everyones taste comfortable. Nice big towels, and although the shower was low it was powerful and very warm.

We went with friends who had booked rooms for 3 nights on the understanding that there is a "jazz bar" and that although there is live music we would be in a quieter part of the pub. Not so, our rooms were directly above what the landlady/manager described as a rock bar, there was loud music until at least 11:30 on the Friday and Saturday night during which everything in our room was vibrating due to the noise.

We were a bit surprised when we arrived that we had to pay up front, but after seeing the rooms we were willing to do that, albeit still under the impression that the bar was a jazz bar. We had an evening meal in the bar, which was fine nice big portions, and good standard of food, but at £18 for some of the main courses rather pricy for pub food.

The breakfast on the first morning was average, very poor selection of cereals, and the cooked breakfast was edible but lukewarm. To be fair none of us were particularly happy at that point, and we should have left then, and asked to be refunded for the two nights for which we had already paid but none of us wanted to spoil the weekend so we didn't.

The following morning after another noisy night, we came down to breakfast just after 9am. I asked for a mushroom omelette to be told that there was no mushrooms, so I asked for a vegetarian breakfast and asked if it could be a little bit warmer today - we were all getting a little fed up by this time. One of the other members of the party just asked for toast and the other two who were braving the breakfast again asked for a full English breakfast. By 9:30 the breakfast ( even the toast) had not materialised, and our two companions decided that they were not prepared to wait anymore and left. I waited a bit longer, but eventually my patience got the better of me and I went and asked the waitress when we could expect our breakfast as we had been waiting twenty five minutes, and it was a while. I was concerned because as there is limited parking we had to move our car by 10am as we had had to park on the nearby shortstay car park. The disastrous part then began and this is my recollection of events. The manageress came up to me and said that I had not been waiting for twenty five minutes and accused me of exaggerating. I reiterated that I had but that I was not prepared to have a stand up argument about this. Unfortunately she did appear to want a stand up argument, and followed me as I tried to return to my table to carry it on. She said that I had done nothing but moan since I got there - I had asked about the telly twice as it was not working which I pointed out she asked what they did about it I said gave me another one that did not work either. In the end we agreed that it would be best if my party left, but not before I had asked for my money back and she had threatened to call the police if I did not pay my bar bill, which I had incidentally never said that I would not pay. This was all in the bar which was doubling up as a breakfast room, so my apologies to people who were there and trying to have a peaceful breakfast. They did knock off the money for the evening we had not stayed and the whole party packed our bags and left.

I would recommend this hotel for people who want to go to a rock bar and not go to bed until well after midnight, and are not bothered about breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank DerbyNursetraveller
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Stayed for two nights, had the pink room which was lovely and comfy.
Good cooked breakfast to set you up for the day, we booked a table for an evening meal and had great home cooked meals well worth the money but couldn't fit in a pudding .(much to my dissapointment as they looked great too!)
Good priced accomodation right in the heart of Ironbridge.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I stayed here for a night over the bank holiday weekend with my Fiancee & we had a truely brilliant time. From the moment we arrived the staff welcomed us & showed us to our amazing room. We had a room which overlooked the River (Riverside Room) & it was decorated beautifully. We had lots of space & everything was clean & tidy. We booked to eat at the restaurant as it had been previousley recommended by a friend - and it didn't dissappoint. I had a T - Bone steak which was cooked to perfection. (It seems so hard to find a steak cooked properly now a days!) My Fiancee had Muscles as her main & she ate every last one of them! The true star of our meal was definitly the homemade cheesecake. You must try it. We then made our way in to the bar area & had a great night watching the live band & drinking an excellent range of Beers. After a great nights sleep we were welcomed by the owners back in to the restaurant & were served a great breakfast. I would recommend this place to anyone who likes good food, good service, good rooms & great entertainment.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Great food, fabulous setting, friendly people.
Shame about the British weather !!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank wanderingwino44
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We spent one night here and were terribly disappointed. The Malthouse has a beautiful location and is nicely decorated but that is where it ends. We had been warned about the loud music so were not too bothered by the noise but once the pub quietened down we were left listening to the cold water tap in our basin dripping as it would not close fully. In the morning there was no hot water to bath and our shower did not work. We were there with friends and they also did not have hot water.
Based on the reviews here we booked a table for dinner and, again, were disappointed. The ribeye steak was not a ribeye cut and was overcooked. The vegetarian stirfry included cooked lettuce!
On complaining to the manageress the next morning we were told that everything we said was impossible. My husband complained again when we waited an incredibly long time for breakfast was then told that she did not care and we should just leave. Not really what you want to hear after paying your room bill in full in advance!!!
Such a lovely location and building but I fear the management will kill this establishment off.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank springboks7
rowley83, Owner at The Malthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2009

Unfortunately this man was a bully towards women and this is why he was treated differently to other lovely guests, and the food he had, he told my staff when I checked with them was infact lovely and ate the lot! I suggest he was trying to get money off his bill. If you like enjoying yourselves, love a lively place with boutique style rooms please come and stay if you were born to moan & set out to not have a good time please keep away Ironbridge is not for you.

Reviewed July 28, 2009

Wonderful Food and lovely room. Clean and recently decorated. Kids loved the stay and were also happy with the wonderful childrens menu

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family