“Visited for a Christmas Meal”
Review of 23 Bar and Restaurant - CLOSED

23 Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Visited for a Christmas Meal”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I went to 23 last week as part of a large party of around 80 people for our Christmas meal. Menu choice was good apart from it wouldn't have initially suited non-mushroom-eating vegetarians. However, they did later add a vegetarian curry option which was flexible and good of them. Price was reasonable at £22.50 including 3 courses and half a bottle of wine each. It wasn't fine dining but it was tasty and I didn't hear any complaints from the party: Huge bowls of potatoes and vegetables were provided as accompaniments so no one left hungry. The desserts were particularly nice (I tried both the white choc cheesecake and the lemon torte). The layout of the upstairs was great with long tables and a good atmosphere, and the staff did a very good job of serving a party as large as ours as quickly and efficiently as they did, with a few menu changes and people forgetting what they'd ordered.

We had a few cocktails downstairs in the bar after the meal and they did a 2 for 1 offer for us. My only criticism is that they ran out of mint, which, unless I missed earlier en masse-mojito ordering, they could have forseen! Having said this, the cocktails made were made with care and I saw a couple of mixologist tricks such as setting alight liqueur for decoration so i'd guess that there was some effort behind the scenes with the cocktail training and menu design (unfortunately I didn't have a good look at which cocktail menu). The bar staff could have been a little friendlier and approachable, but I may have caught them at a busy moment. Would poss give the cocktails another chance if I'm in the area, and I'd happily go back for next year's Christmas party and recommend it others for larger parties. Thanks.

• Visited December 2012

chiang rai
“Really poor vegetarian Christmas dinner.”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

OK, I accept at best, most Christmas dinners can be hit and miss, but my experience at Bar 23 last Thursday was really terrible. I was part of a group of over 20, so I can also forgive some slow service, and, the staff were brilliant! But the food was atrocious; the starter, Goats Cheese Tartlet was merely a small slice of goats cheese atop two pieces of deep fried filo pastry, this is not a tart. Also, it is worth noting that I chose the tartlet as my starter because the other vegetarian friendly starter was mushrooms and the main course is... mushrooms. So yes, slightly disappointed with the starter but eagerly looked forward to my main course, Field Mushroom topped with Risotto. But, when it came I honestly thought they'd sent a second starter out, it was tiny! The risotto was also not cooked properly, saying that I must have had a dozen lovely roast potatoes with my main, but that's only because the comparatively giant meat mains had so many side vegetables with them. Disappointed. I then received my Christmas Pudding desert, again, offensively small portion with perhaps a desert spoon worth of Brandy Sauce on it, so, all in all a pretty poor experience, despite paying £22.50 a head. If it hadn't have been for the roast potatoes I would have asked for my money back for sure. Oh, and the beer was £4 a pint!

Great for the meat eater, bad for the non-meat eater.

• Visited December 2012
“Great bar and restaurant, highly recommend!”
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I've eaten here about half a dozen times for an a la carte meal and I've never been disappointed as the food is always incredible, so fresh and always using seasonal ingredients. There is always a great choice, the hard part is picking what to have, especially when it comes to the desserts! The food is nicely presented and quite large portions. I've also eaten here for a Sunday lunch which I highly recommend. The cocktails are brilliant too!

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Love this restaurant”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have been to this restaurant lots of time before and last week was no different. Staff are amazing, food is great with good portions, atmosphere is friendly. It is a great place for drinks or dinner. Highly recommend it.

• Visited November 2012
Sheffield
“Great place to have a party.”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had our evening wedding party here a few weeks ago, it was fabulous. The upstairs venue was perfect just the right size for 70-80 people. The Buffett was amazing, a lot of my guests said it was the best Buffett they have ever had, we had tempura prawns, squid, fish and chips, salmon, beef burgers and lots more, it was beautifully presented and tasted great.

The staff on that night were fabulous very attentive and a big thank you goes to Jaime and Mica who helped us organise the fine details and kept everything running like clockwork on the night. I would strongly recomend this for any party, there are few venues in Sheffield city centre which are so good and reasonably priced.