“Not impressed”

Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Not impressed”
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I've been in around 4 years. It used to be great.
On first entering I noticed the windows were dirty, as were the corners of the floor. The ceiling had damp patches and water marks on the tiles. The tables and chairs wee clean though.
Food was nothing to write home about, pretty poor. Most was Lukewarm, or old. Prawn toast in particular looked limp and old.
Nobody came around to see if we wanted extra drinks, so service was nothing great.
Soup was good, but desserts were dire. The water that the ice scream scoop was in was filthy, so I avoided. Will definitely not be going back. Avoid

“Not as good as it used to be.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Well i visited Jumbo's with my best friend, i've been here a few times and always enjoyed myself, but this time i was pretty disappointed, the place was pretty empty with no more than 5 people there, yet we had to wait ages for our drinks even though we'd only ordered a glass of pineapple juice and coke. There's lots to choose from which is good, from noodles/rice sweet and sour chicken and lots more, but most of it was cold or lukewarm, which for £6.99 you expect hot food, also whilst your eating you have men watching you waiting till you finish your food so they can take your food away, i'm the kind of person who hates someone looking at me when i'm eating so that really put me off, i'm not sure if i'd go again, also the decor needs improving, it's pretty bare and could do with a lick of paint.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Kelli010987
Bedford
“Annual Visit”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My pal and I visit Sheffield each year to see our favourite singer/songwriter and always follow up the gig with a visit to Jumbos. We normally arrive quite late. The staff were really welcoming this time. The choice is as wide as one could wish for in a Buffet. I have to say that some food was not warm but other dishes were enjoyable. I tend to treat Jumbos as an ironic restaurant visit but this time it rounded off a great evening - so they can be forgiven for the cold Chicken Balls!

• Visited February 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Used to be good but going downhill!!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have visited Jumbo's many times over the years and like many diners in Sheffield have been concerned at reports of declining standards here in recent times.

I hadn't visited for about a year so decided to try it after work on a Friday when it should have been busy. It is near two theatres so shouldn't struggle to attract diners. At 6.30 pm it was very quiet. Buffet restaurants need to be busy in order that the food on the buffet doesn't spoil.

I didn't have any problems with digesting the food but this was probably luck!! The food is edible but bland, which is rather rare with chinese style cuisine. Most dishes were lukewarm and the drier items were becoming stale. £9.99 was not really justified for the quality and service offered.

This venue no longer trusts customers to pay after their meal. They asked for the money very quickly after my arrival. Even though the staff try to smile, there seems to be an ethos of keeping your head down. Many of the staff had barely adequate English skills, which was unusual compared with similar eateries I have visited.

Looking at reviews of this chain's other outlets around the UK, there seems to be a more general problem with this business. Without any remedial action by the management this place may not be around much longer - this has already happened to a similar buffet nearby here in Sheffield. It will be sad if this happens.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Andrewms14
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Only went once”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Never again, I felt cramped and the choice of food was very limited and not particulaly to a high standard. The service was ok at best and I felt like I was being rushed to finish my food. The Flaming Dragon was much better and it is worth the travel to get more choice but check what is on at the Arena

• Visited December 2012