“Great new experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Zanzibar African Cuisine - CLOSED

Zanzibar African Cuisine
Cuisines: Caribbean, African, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Vibrant, colourful background adourned with African exotic beautiful carvings, masks and paintings etc. Pretty surroundings with excellent ambience, homely and relaxing: out of this world African & Caribbean experience.
Sheffield
“Great new experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We'd never eaten this kind of food before so when we saw it on groupon we thought we had to try it.

The food was amazing with lots of different and unique flavours which we both enjoyed. The prices without a voucher are great and the food excellent.

Service was fabulous with a very attentive waiter.

The cocktails were excellent.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A one off”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

10 off us went with a groupon 3 course meal deal for £10 each.
It wasnt very good. Quite small and shoddy. The smell coming from the mens toilets as you walked passes was dire! The food was mediocre. Stephen the only waiter worked very hard and tried his best.

Visited February 2014
Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Happily surprised.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We visited Zanzibar african restaurant as a group of 4 on Saturday 24th January and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The waiter was attentive and was very helpful as we hadn't been to an african restaurant before so we weren't sure what all the things on the menu were. Value for money was excellent, we had gone on one of the groupon deals. I choose coconut rice, chicken and peanut sauce for my main meal and I would highly recommend this dish if you are visiting. We also got to play around on the instruments that they have which was fun. :)

1 Thank SarLouL
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Paid for a meal I will not get”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I bought a groupon for a meal for two at this restaurant via Groupon, valid for the month of January. My partner and I were only available for a few days to use it; tried to phone to book a table multiple times over the weekend and got no answer. The website was not working. We went down there on the evening on Sunday 21/01/14 to find that it was closed, despite being advertised as open 7 days a week on Groupon. Tried again the following Tuesday, the last date we were available, and arrived at 6pm to find the restaurant open but completely empty. I explained that I had been unable to book a table in advance but needed to redeem the (prepaid!) voucher today, but management refused to accept this.
I found this an incredibly tight-fisted attitude; on a quiet weeknight with precisely NO other diners, there was no reason they couldn't have accepted the deal, especially given that we had already paid for it (but would have paid extra for drinks, etc) and we had tried to book. I work in the food industry and wouldn't dream of being so inflexible - I have now paid for a meal I will not be able to eat, and am very unhappy about this. No way to treat customers...I was really looking forward to trying African cuisine, and would have definitely returned if it lived up to expectations, so very disappointing.

6 Thank FionaBM
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

After being encouraged by our first visit to Zanzibar we decided to give it another go. Decent restaurants produce consistently.

Unfortunately our second visit was nowhere near the quality of our first visit. We ordered soup and alarm bells started to ring as soon as we were presented with some complimentary fruit on a stick after about 20 mins. Unfortunately the soup didn't turn up for another 30 - 40mins after our fruit kebab. It's a shame really because the soup was delicious.

Our mains arrived about 30 - 40 mins after our starters and whilst we enjoyed them, the waiting had got to us, our appetites were diminished. The portions seemed to have shrunk after our last visit as well not that it mattered much.

Aside from the food I've worked on a lot of construction sites/quarries which have much cleaner portable toilets then the 'facilities' on offer here. Not anywhere near restaurant quality toilets.

A shame really because we were encouraged by our first visit.