“Well worth a visit.”

Zanzibar African Cuisine
Cuisines: African, Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Vibrant, colourful background adourned with African exotic beautiful carvings, masks and paintings etc. Pretty surroundings with excellent ambience, homely and relaxing: out of this world African & Caribbean experience.
bakewell
“Well worth a visit.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and myself, fancying something a bit different tried this restaurant last week.
From the moment we arrived we were greeted very warmly by the waiter who suggested we try the cocktail of the day which was a lime daiquiri. As we had not eaten there before we were guided through the menu and tried what was suggested (and we ordered more besides!)
We had goat curry, couscous, mutton stew, spiced pork, oxtail with butter beans, rice and peas and jerk chicken. I also drank Red Stripe lager and we finished with coffee. The owner came out to introduce himself to us and we chatted with him for some time, he also played some drums and something that resembled a wooden xylophone!
All in all a very enjoyable evening and we will definitely be returning soon.

2 Thank rd14962

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Brilliant, friendly, relaxed and great food!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I too was part of the table of 10 as my friend has left a review below, but my review is slightly different.
First off the food was very nice and good size portions, I had mutton, jerk chicken, ackee and salt fish and some sides and they were all very tasty and authentic.
There was 10 of us and we all ordered about 5 dishes each, so that's at least 50 dishes one man had to cook.. yeah took a while but what do you expect with that amount of food to prepare, I take my hat off to the owner.
As for two of our party having to sit on their own table at the side of us - they booked on to our party 1 hour before our reservation so I'm not surprised they had to sit on their own with it being such short notice, but they were sat right at the side of us..

As for the staff, very friendly.. the manager is right character, always smiling and laughing, very friendly and generous too!
The waiter- bless him he must have ran up and down stairs about 60 times! I would recommend getting another member of staff to help for the busier periods.

Over all, brilliant place to eat, really nice food especially the mutton and stewed lamb! I would recommend this to anyone. To the owner - I would upload a copy of the menu to your website so when big parties come they can pick what they want before they arrive and this will have you time to get everything prepared and cut waiting time by a lot, and thanks you for my banana beer :) I'll be back in a few days!

Get ya selfs down and tell em Kyle sent ya!

“Ok”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have just come back from eating at Zanzibar. In all honesty its ok food. The jerk wings were very nice. Its a small and cramped place to eat. The dissapointment is there was a group of 10 of us and me and my partner had to sit on a seperate table to the rest which made us feel left out to our party. Also Food and staff are slow and food all came out at different times. even though they are trying there best and are very friendly if your looking for a meal where you can sit down and be out in less then an hour then this isn't the place. My partner asked for curried chicken which isn't on the menu and i had curried mutton both came out different and tasted different. My mutton some pieces were very chewy and some was soft and nice. My partner left her curried chicken but didn't like it (she is a little fussy) but it wasn't the best. For the money we payed we had so much food as we had a voucher from kgb. You don't need that much food as just between me and my partner it came to 10 dish's and some of teh dish's are big, I think a starter each a main each a side dish each and a desert is enough and would still be full of that. We started our meal at 7:45pm we ordered by 8pm at 9:50pm some of our main courses were still coming out. At one point i ordered a drink and it took 35minutes to arrive. Also the drinks are nice but i was paying £3:50-£4 for my cocktails and i had 4 different ones and only one actually tasted like it had a little alchol in it. decoration a little out of date. Believe if they had a bigger place and a few more staff it could be alot better as like i say the owner was lovely and gave the birthday girl a free bottle of red wine and a bunch of roses and also my friend who booked the party gave him a free bottle of banana lager. Check teh photo to see me and my partner in the background on our own seperate to out party so felt a little left out.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A wonderful introduction to African cuisine”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Visited 'Zanzibar' this weekend using a KGB voucher. My girlfriend and I have never knowingly tried African cuisine and we were pleasantly surprised.

The shop front is modest, as is the decor. I think we turned up just as the restaurant opened and we were the first to arrive, along with a chap ordering a takeaway. The waiter was incredibly helpful and accommodating, if a little nervy. We ordered a variety of dishes including jerk chicken wings, African pepper-pot soup with yam, hardo bread, salt fish dumplings, ackee and salt fish, Escovitch Snapper, curried mutton / goat, sweet chicken, joloff rice and steamed spinach and as each successive platter was delivered so were our taste buds satisfied. Dishes were tapas / meze sized but extremely generous. We were struck by the incredible 'homely' style of the cooking and the owner even came to speak to us as we cleared the bill, thanking us for our custom.

Food wise, it was a first rate experience. The atmosphere others have commented on was sadly lacking on the evening when we visited and the cramped venue could put some people off, however I will definitely be recommending Zanzibar to others and would suggest if you've fancied eating African food but were never quite sure, that you download the KGB voucher and give it a shot! I will definitely be returning.

Thanks to the friendly staff and may many more people walk through your door.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank zzzzzzzzap
Tartu, Estonia
“Mama Africa is in Sheffield!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

One of the attractive sides of Sheffield is that it is home for so many people and so many cultures. If you are interested in taking a little trip to Zanzibar it is just around the corner in Broomhill! Great authentic atmosphere, tasty food, friendly staff and great cocktails too! If you are interested to try African drumming go on a Wednesday because they have a workshop followed by a food buffet!

• Visited May 2013