“Nothing special”

Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Leeds
“Nothing special”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend break with friends.
Our room was quite a walk away from the rest of the hotels facilities which was quite inconvenient. We paid extra for a room upgrade.
The chairs in the room were filthy and the carpet needed updating.
Breakfast was ok and the swimming pool was nothing special.
The hotels website makes the hotel look a LOT nicer than it actually is.
Wouldn't bother returning.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I apologise about the cleanliness of the chairs within your bedroom and I have passed this feedback onto the housekeeping manager.

Due to the age, style and lay out of the building unfortunately most of the bedrooms are located away from the main public areas within the hotel. This is generally positive as the bedrooms are a lot quieter and allows the majority of the bedrooms to have a view over the grounds or lake

Lorraine Lockwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This place has had some terrible reviews but I think it was ok really. It's not my idea of a 4 star luxury hotel - I'd say it's more of a 3 star. We stayed for one night on a dinner bed and breakfast package and paid £109 - which was a fair price. We had a nice big room which was comfortable, and the shower etc was fine. Our meal was ok and the restaurant service was fine. We visited the pool area but weren't that impressed - there were only 3 loungers and two garden chairs around the pool so we couldn't just sit and relax. We had a quick sit in the steam room then headed back to our room. I do think that with just a little work this hotel could be something special - maybe starting with cleaning up the spa area a bit, providing some nicer toiletries in rooms and improving the menu.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and thought it value for money

Stourbridge UK
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The reception staff were friendly. That's just about the only positive statement I can make about this hotel. The bedrooms were probably reasonably nice ten years ago, but by now are shabby and uncared for, if basically clean; But the restaurant experience was dreadful!!! Having chosen only a main course (no starter) the portion which arrived was starter sized (and this for over £15) . What was listed as a roasted chicken breast was more quail sized than any chicken I've every seen, with a tiny portion of potato and a smattering of cabbage on the side. Consequently I was still so hungry I'd have liked a dessert, but having sat looking at a dirty plate for an hour whilst we were still talking, we finally gave up and left for our rooms as no waiting staff were to be seen anywhere. In fact there were no waiting staff to be seen for most of the time we were in the restaurant, and considering there were only about 15 diners through the restaurant in the couple of hours we were there, they were most definitely not busy (more like busy chatting in the back). The best bit? Having nipped to the facilities before heading back to the room and there were still no staff to be seen, we headed for bed, only shortly afterwards to be greeted with a phone call to the room that we were expected to return to the restaurant there and then to pay in person, as they couldn't wait until the morning or allow us to pay by card over the phone.
Having stayed in many many very decent hotels and visited many excellent restaurants all over the uk (not all reviewed on here) I can honestly rate this as one of the worst meals I have ever had; the minuscule amount I was given tasted quite nice, but it was a con in respect of the quantity versus cost and the waiting staff were totally bone idle.
Diabolical!

Room Tip: Stay in a Travelodge!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Bligger D
Thank you for your feedback although a little surprised with some of your comments
The hotel is not modern and purpose built nor do we portray ourselves as such, however I am pleased that despite this you found the reception staff friendly and your bedroom clean

As with most hotels our menu is a corporate style restaurant where the meals are cooked to order with plenty of choice for all. I apologise that you were not happy with the service.
I have a new restaurant and bars manager who has just started with the hotel so have passed on your comments in order for him to address some of the training issues outlined in your feedback

Lorraine Lockwood

Travelers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Tirano, Italy
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed in this hotel 2 days for business reasons.
I can resume the quality of the staying highlighting PRO and CONS

PRO
- Quite place, no noise
- Warm environment
- Beautiful surrounding, nice architectural details.
- Free internet connection
- In-house restaurant
- Nice breakfast area with a good view on the park.

CONS
- No easy room heating control (it lays below the radiator)
- Room temperature quite low at the check-in
- Free Internet connection requires login every 30mins with a laborious procedure, very time consuming on smartphones
- Expensive breakfast (14£ each per person/day) not worth of the price (not very rich especially not vegetables, cold cuts, cheese and so on). Fruits (and fruit salads) are only canned !!!
- Horrible Caesar salad with chicken (with anchovies ????). I’ve never tried one worst than this one.
- Smell of treated wood on the stairs, bad small of old carpets in the corridors.
- Carpet quite old and consumed, with spots
- 2 taps basin and bath !. The bath has the mixer so shower is not a nightmare experience while basins not ! I can’t understand how you can wash faces, these and so on with freezing or boiling water not mixed !!! Not for foreigners people but only for experienced English ! I can’t understand why !

Room Tip: Check room heating system . Ask to the lobby manager to verify if the heating system work properly a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us
Unfortunately due to the age of the building some of the heating is on the old system and therefore the thermostats within the room are within the radiator themselves and the bottom . The advantage however to this does allow each guest to set the temperature within the bedroom to suit themselves

We have been experiencing problems with some of the internet connections and this is currently being looked at in order to improve
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I would like to say what a brilliant time we have had at this hotel this past weekend. having seen some of the reviews on here, i must say that this weekend the hotel were brilliant hosts.
Check - in was smooth (young girl black hair) - very welcoming and informative.

bedroom - we were just a few seconds walk from reception - the room was much larger than i expected and was very comfortable for our needs. although bathroom certainly does need upgrading.

christmas party - we were up in the main suite (the large one with the big dancefloor) - brilliantly organised and run. james (i think his name ) tall gentleman in a suit did a brilliant job of hosting the party night - very well organised, well manored and the team were a breath of fresh air - smiles all round! it really makes a difference. the food was pipng hot and compared to last year the Turkey was moist and tasty. Although this was shared and very very noisey with drunk youngsters, i can only complement how much we all enjoyed it.

only suggestion - get more receptioists - we had to queue for 10 minute just to check-out.

Thanks for a great weekend -

Sue & Les

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us
I have passed onto the team your positive comments regarding the food, service and atmosphere within the party night you attended

I apologise about the delay in check in as although enough staff on duty unfortunately most guests arrived at the same time

General Manager Kenwood Hall Hotel
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I arrived at the Guest House Paradiso, sorry I mean Kenwood Hall, with expectations not too high after reading reviews of ancient rooms and poor staff. However, the person at reception was highly friendly and helpful. This was promising and I thought the reviews are harsh - Then the reality check:

The standard room claims to be an 'ideal choice for it's exceptional value luxury'. If you consider Leeds Festival luxury, then maybe. However, I do not consider music from an event downstairs two nights in a row vibrating the room from 8pm until past 1am luxury. I wouldn't be so unhappy with the music being played from the hall downstairs if: a) the website was transparent about the level of noise and the lack of luxury and b) if the soundproofing was better. Together this may create a more luxurious room and not a festival atmosphere. It's pretty bad when you ring reception and you ask what time the loud music stops and they note 'now', but it goes on for another 70 minutes. A personal highlight of my stay. And if the music isn't enough, the walls of the luxurious & cosy rooms enable you to hear the conversations of others in the other hotel room quite clearly.

So you may feel, oh you are being a bit harsh, but there is more.

The room is very dated and tired of course (as I expected) and is very similar to rooms I have seen on Ramsay's Hotel Hell and I am by no means exaggerating, but this isn't a problem to me (even if the website claims the room is charming and cosy which it is clearly not). The issue is that this dated room has a certain style of it's own called austerity nouveau. This included a cracked toilet door, cracked walls, an unclean sink which was badly marked, cracks in the window of the WC etc.

Going back to what the website notes- the room provides 'exceptional luxury'. Well if you think your own insect zoo in a bathroom is a luxurious feature fair enough. We saw a large spiders web in our bathroom, one of the many, with plentiful dead insects on it and for some reason this was overlooked quite well. Maybe a tight budget could be the reason.

Then finally you get to sleep past 2am - then wake up wanting a good hot shower to help you get up. Well for some reason the mild temperature was only available to us.

Overall I do feel highly disappointed and angry. If I knew that many of the elements provided were to be expected then that would be more acceptable, but unfortunately the website of the hotel misinforms guests. This is no way a four star hotel and I have spent much less money on much higher quality. It's a shame when your hard earned money is spent on a something you weren't asking for.

The responses to some of the negative comments below note something along the lines of 'I'm surprised to hear you say this'. I think when you are having to say this quite a bit there is an element of denial and it is clear that something is not right.

1 Thank Stumodernart
Thank you for your feedback although not entirely fair
The hotel is not modern and purpose built nor do we advertise as such and although a little dated in place this does not reflect the cleanliness of the hotel
We do advertise that we are a large hotel with extensive banqueting facilities which specialise in weddings and functions, however all functions within the hotel do finish at midnight which I believe is reasonable at the weekends and we receive very little adverse feedback regarding the noise. During your visit you did not bring to our attention in order for the team to move you to a more suitable area of the hotel on your second night
I thank you for your comments and apologise that the hotel did not meet your expectations

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The first room was lovely, however when we went to have a shower, the hot water didn't work. They moved us to another room within minutes. Room was nice and quiet and the bed was very comfortable. Room temperature constantly perfect.

The big negative was the lack of ways to get to our room. We were at the opposite end of the hotel from the reception and in the attic. The amount of stairs we had to clmb was ridiculous. There were broken tles on the floor n our second room but not in a dangerous place.

The decor was fine and the staff were really friendly and helpful.

I'd most defnitely stay again.

Its biggest plus point is that there is no traffic noinse.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would return to the hotel in the future

General Manager Kenwood Hall Hotel