“Never felt so unwelcome in a hotel”

Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall
Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Never felt so unwelcome in a hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Disappointed problems with room, meal and loud music until gone 1 in morning. Rude bar and restaurant staff and communal toilet had no soap or toilet roll.
Overly busy and staff could not cope with demand our anniversary weekend has been totally ruined :-(

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank emma-2209
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments although a little surprised with your feedback especially regarding the team and I have passed back to the relevant managers of those areas.

General Manager Kenwood Hall Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Berchtesgaden, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had our wedding venue here. Certain staff in tempus restaurant refused to serve our guests with drinks and was very rude about it the kranky lookalike. Mother in laws room was noisy as the air conditioning was broken. Brother in laws room was dirty. Our room though was very nice. Food was very good and grounds were perfect

• Stayed July 2013
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments although a little surprised. I have passed on your feedback to the restaurant manager regarding the drinks sales and the housekeeper regarding the room, although none were brought to our attention at the time

Due to the extreme weather conditions the rooms do get hot however we have fans available upon on request. Unfortunately as we are not a modern and purpose built hotel we do not have air conditioning

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your say with us

Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was a little worried before a group of us stayed at the hotel for my son's graduation, as some of the reviews are pretty dodgy.

Infact we were very comfortable and on the whole, the experience was very good. The rooms are tired, but not unpleasant, and the bathrooms were acceptable. The majority of the staff were extremely helpful.

We found our bar snack in the evening to be very good, and were quite happy with breakfast. Bar prices are very high - £4.80 for a pint of coke!

If investment was made in this hotel, it would be the best in Sheffield, as the grounds are so pleasant, and the location is excellent. But for £70 a night, you can't expect 5* quality, and what we received was fair value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thought us value for money

Whilst the hotel is not modern and purpose built and a little tired in places we are set in 11 acres of grounds which gives you ample time to set and relax just 5 minutes drive from the busy city centre of Sheffield

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This place seems to be living on its laurels. On the positive side the grounds are grand and it is well situated for Sheffield centre. On the bad side our room was big but needs an upgrade - worn carpet, no air con and nigedly little things such as no toilet paper. When I stay in a 4**** hotel I expect the breakfast menu to have on it things such as kippers or kedgeree. Not here. The buffet breakfast involved what you would expect to find in a grim motorway cafe. By way of example, the sausages are those grim things that you remember from school dinners - not some delightful meaty fare bought from a good local supplier. No stars at all for the breakfast then and when we checked out we headed for breakfast elsewhere. The staff were friendly enough but it takes a bit more to make a hotel 4 Star

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments although a little surprised with your feedback regarding Breakfast. As with most hotels we offer a buffet style breakfast with a variety of choices from fruit, yoghurt, cereals, pastries to a full English

Unfortunately the hotel is not modern and purpose built and therefore does not have air conditioning although it is set in 11 acres of grounds overlooking the lake, just 5 minutes from the busy city centre of Sheffield

General Manager Kenwood Hall
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

You wouldn't know you were in the middle of Sheffield once you have driven through the gates.
Friendly helpfull staff, adequate rooms, lovely setting in own grounds incl pond etc and £5 taxi ride from city centre, so not worth taking car anywhere once at the hotel. We were recently there for daughters graduation and for 3 days the car did not move. Disappointed that there is no A/C in rooms and our room was looking a little tired.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us
As you mention we are a little oasis in the middle of the city - just a short 5 minute drive away from the vibrant city centre we are situated in a tranquil setting within 11 acres of grounds overlooking the lake

Porto, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I read a few reviews here and I was quite anxious because I stayed in Sheffield hundreds of times, but never on this hotel before.

When I told to some friends that I would be starying on Kenwood Hall, the reation was "WOW", becasue the are is very posh and even the look from outside of the hotel.

In fact the hotel have everything to be superb, it´s an old amazing house with wonderfull gardens around, not far form city city, special Eclessall rodad (where you can find pubs, bars and nice restaurants), nice car park as well.

Rooms are very big, even the regulars, looking like a suite with 2 different areas, living room and bedroom, of course and the bathroom.

but for me the there´s 2 things that can be improve definetly and those were the negative side of my stay.

1. maintenance
2. Staff and service

1. small things that can be easly improve and will do all the thing looks better and provide to guest a better comfortable stay.
For instance, on my bedroom, the water tas had some leaks, the shower speccialy on all nights I had to leav a towel inside the bathtub to stop the sound of the water drops all night long interrupting my sleep.
The main door locker was not in a very good shape, not compromising the security, but I hae locked on my first night and on the following morning was a difficult task to unlock that took some 4 or 5 minutes to me living the room.

2. well here I had some very unpleasant experience on just couple days stay.

First was the really fake and forced smile of Mrs Holly in the recepetion, and I had that all my stay, unfortenatly was the lady always in the reception. I asked to raise the invoice with my company details, for that I delivered my bussiness card , but the lady wasn´t able even to copy from the card to the system. She swap D for J, A for X, how is that possible? Not well focused or somehting else...

Still with same lady, I asked for internet, even paying for that she said ok, I´ll add taht, delivered me a piece of paper with some instrutions for wi-fi, but only the free 30minutes, I come to reception to claim for full internet, like appears on loggin website and willing to pay for that, but only at that time she explains that the hotel doesn´t have that option, only the 30minutes free, that forced the guest to be logging in constantly.
shame, because the internet is very very, very slow, personally I don´t remember to have such slow internet for several years. It´s a chaos even if you are only replying emails or surfing on facebook.

Other less positive exprience was on first moorning, on my way to breakfast room
and a 5 or 6 meters away from the counter where is the sigh "please wait here to be seated", the guy behind that instead of waiting for me to be next to him, start talking loud "table for one?" Well, beside that is not polite, and the "good morning" gone,someone scream to you is not I wish to find on a hotel and definitly not after I have just waked up!

the last expericen with service/staff that I would like to leave here, was reagind the room service/bar. I arrive late to the hotel, 5 minutes to 10PM. I went to the the room willing to call the room sercie for some light meal. I tried to call several times, even reception and no anwser. So I went to the bar, 2 minutes to 10PM, the lady in the bar was talking to a few guest, in fact a old lady and the only person from staff that was nice. In fact After the guest gone from th bar, come my turn but already passed 2 minutes over 10PM. The lady explained me that the kitchen closes at 10PM, no more hot food, that was ok for me, because a sandwich was what I was wondering. Although the lady explained that the kitchen staff gone, and the night shift staff just start at 11PM, so I had to wait one hour to avoid a long night sleeping without having a meal.
My question is:
How an hotel can be 1 hour with saff working in the kitchen and room service?

By the way, one hour after I made my order, a sandwich on brown bread and a diet coke. I got regular coke and white bread...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Henrique d
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us despite a few issues.
I have passed on your feedback to both the Restaurant and Reception Manager for them to address any training issues within these areas

Ferndown, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

After seeing other reviews on TripAdvisor, my wife and I were somewhat cautious about booking but it was very convenient for us on our way further north so, we decided to give it a try. It was so much better than expected in several ways. The hotel is set in very lovely, well-kept grounds so you simply would not know that you were in a residential area, not far from Sheffield city centre. The check-in was efficient. The room was fine - not perfect but, how many hotel rooms are? Whatever faults existed (the kind of thing that other reviewers have mentioned, such as scratched counter-top next to sink) were simply trivial. We had a very enjoyable evening meal, with good service and had a good night's sleep too. What more could you want for the price?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thought it value for money. As you mention the hotel is set in 11 acres of grounds within a short drive form the busy city centre