“Lovely building and grounds but due to very dated interior wouldn't really rate it as a four star.”

Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall
Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Limited food choice if staying longer than one night,although very tasty.
Interior very dated,only 2 channels on the tv and beds seemed to be very worn(sagging), toilet roll holder rusty and it wouldn't take a lot to re grout the mould from the tiles in the bathroom! Hard to see how it can be classed as a four star.
Convenient location for city centre and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Excellent accommodation facilities. Tried the bar menu and chose a pizza at £13. Certainly the worst pizza I've ever had.
Fire alarm at 7.30am next morning was not a good finale to the visit especially as it proved to be a false alarm.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank RAK04121951
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

We were met with a warm welcome and even though we had arrived earlier than the 2pm check in the reception made every effort to get us a room.

The room itself was okay, the bathroom was a bit scabby and the room felt like it needed a bit of modernising but the bed was comfortable and everything we needed was to hand.

The rest of the staff in the hotel were very helpful.

Breakfast was included in our double room price and was a buffet style set up with a good range of continental and cooked breakfasts.

We were impressed with the room even we got to breakfast and then it became apparent what good value it was.

• Stayed September 2012
atherton, Manchester
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the kenwood for 2 nights / 3 days on a business course.
Originally a period house with extensions added to create this hotel as it is now.
Set in lovely grounds in a leafy suburb of sheffield.
Lovely peaceful gardens with lake.
Ample free parking.
Nice check in area which leads to bar & restuarant.
Quickly allocated rooms. My room was a decent size , over looking the garden and lake,with double bed, desk ,chair TV (not flat), trouser press, iron , board , hairdryer.
Free wi-fi !
The room was clean ,decor a tad dated but nothing that bad.
The bathroom was a good size, again decor a little dated, but nothing significant.
Everything was spotlessy clean and organsied - good housekeeping.
Soundproofing between rooms was good.
One thing i noticed no air con in the rooms, just a big fan , so bear in mind for summer stays.
Small pool, and gym - didnt use.
Because the hotel as evolved not designed , areas and rooms etc is a bit of a rats maze, but part of the charm.
Evening meal was very good quality, so was the self service breakfast.
One or 2 of the waiting staff could invest in a can of deodorant !
Staff efficient polite .
The hotel in general is nice , very clean , and would use again for business , or a brief getaway.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at the Kenwood Hall for a 1 night stay which was given to myself and my husband complimentary due to a complaint we made following our wedding at this venue, but that is a whole other review!!

Instead of going with my husband me and a friend took the freebie night deciding on a girly night out. On arrival we were met by a really friendly receptionist were given our key and directions to our room and off we went. Due to a previous complaint we were allocated a junior suite with breakfast included. The suite we had was huge and had a really large balcony which overlooked the lake, the view was lovely but that is where the compliments as far as the suite go.

Yes the room was huge with a larger than king size bed but the room itself was very bare. For a suite I would have expected something more than just a bed, a sofa bed, a desk with chair, a very old tv and tea and coffee making facilities. I would imagine that if you paying for a suite for the night then it would cost more than £120 a night so a few little extras should be included in the room, bottled water, robes & slippers that kind of thing.

We werent in the room long enough to notice any thing wrong as we were straight off out. When we got back to the room later on we noticed that the hot tap in the bathroom was making a strange buzzing noise so we waggled it about and it eventually stopped, however the hot tap continued to buzz throughout the night and we had to make regular trips to the bathroom to turn it on and off to try and make it stop, therefore making our nights sleep less than restful!

Next morning we went down for breakfast and again were greeted by friendly staff and shown to a table and a drink order was taken and a pot coffee delivered to us. We went to get our full english buffet style breakfast sat back down to find that all the food was rather cold, either the hot plates that the food are stored on were not working efficiently are the food had been out quite a long time either way a cold full english was not the most pleasant.

The toilets which are located off reception are very very dated and are in desperate need of modernising, carpeted floor in a bathrom!! Not very hygenic at all. Most of the sink unit was falling to bits and the sinks are old and rusty. It just looks unappealing for a "4* hotel".

After breakfast we went back to the room packed our things and headed to reception to check out. I mentioned to the recetionist the problems we had experienced with the hot tap and before I could finish my sentence he fisnihed it for me, therefore making me realise they are fully aware of the problems and nothing has been done about it.

All in all our stay was ok but I most definitly would not rush back for another visit, it needs to be graded accordingly and I do not believe that this is any where near 4* standards.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have stayed at a number of Principal Hayley hotels where we often use them for conferences and have always found them very good. Whilst Kenwood Hall wasn't overly bad it just is nowhere near as good as the others. I payed for a superior room which on the face of it looked ok but in the daylight was just very tired and not particularly well looked after. The room had a terrace with a set of patio doors which was quite nice except the paving was completely overgrown with moss and weeds. The room itself was adequate although the towels in particular were very small and clearly been washed to the consistency of a cigarette paper whilst the shower head was set at around 5' meaning an normal sized person has to stoop to get under it. The TV was old and whilst the WiFi is free for half an hour, it is pretty slow.
Some of the staff were very good whilst others were particularly poor such as the young blond lady who looked after the night bar, she was rude and argumentative when I asked for some sandwiches a little after 10pm, saying they were only available through room service meaning I had to pay an extra £5 despite coming from the same kitchen. Far from being conciliatory, she said it had nothing to do with her and that it clearly says on the menu sandwiches finish at 10pm, this is despite the fact that when staying in this chain in other places, sandwiches have been available all night. Most other staff were pretty good despite not ordering me the newspaper I requested when I checked in and the breakfast server who smelled badly of sweat.
Breakfast was a late one for me so most of the hot food had been cleared away or was hard; why do hotels say the serve between particular times if they then decide to clear away well before the end? The receptionist who checked me out was very polite and efficient and was a contrast to most of the rest of the staff.
The hotel itself is set in grounds and is in a good location for the city however I was furious to find in the morning that my entire car was covered in some sort of sap that even an expensive car wash has so far failed to remove, therefore I would recommend not parking near any of the trees in the car-park!

Finally there seems to be a lot of hotels in Sheffield in better locations than this one, all of which I tried to book but were full, therefore I would suggest only trying this place as a last resort

Room Tip: Book as a last resort or it you are forced to stay here make sure you book one of the more expensive...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank davidpridmore

Travelers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Lovely building in an excellent location to explore the Peaks. Staff were really helpful. Had a room over looking the beautiful gardens. Breakfast ticked all the boxes. A little work being done here and there so couldnt use the changing rooms at the pool/gym but no big deal. Overall, outstanding value for money. Simply a nice place to stay. Thanks

Room Tip: Our room with the BIG balcony was super
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple