“Come On - You Can Do It!”
Review of Mangla

Mangla
Ranked #572 of 1,440 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Pakistani
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sheffield
“Come On - You Can Do It!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been going to this place for thirty years since it was a place where even a knife and fork were optional extras. You were expected to use chapatis to eat your food. It was genuine and great.

I suspect that good as it was it would have been shut down by now unless it at least came into the 20th C. The thing was that then it had an identity, it was never a three pot curry house but provided authentic, cooked to order delicious spicy food with no frills. You could go across the road for jugs of beer and relax and enjoy. The food is still good but it has lost the notion of who it is. It tried to posh itself up but somehow now falls between two stools. They still know how to cook. They still offer good value for money but shouldn't try to go upmarket. The bones of a great unique curry house are still there but if they go any further into trying to be what they are not they may get lost in the muddle.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Steeloman

“Bad atmosphere”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I had heard lots of great things about this place all my friends raved about it and with it been local thought we would try it . Extremely bad service , rude staff , no atmosphere , didn't get asked if I wanted a drink all night. Couldn't wait to get out

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not what it use to be”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Bring back the old Mangla. Dirty table cloths, dirty cultery bring it back please!!!!. What has has happened. Mangla got its name by serving up some tradional curries at a great price. Yes the place was a dump, but who cared, I cleaned my own knife and fork on my shirt and tucked in. Service was great, food was great. Just all gone down hill IMHO since the makeover some time ago. I keep going back to see if its improved but still disapointing.

Much better places to eat in Sheffield, sorry not what it use to be.

4/10

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Bradsmart
Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food and good people”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My partner and I have been going to the Mangla for some years now, and have always enjoyed the food, even when the service was less than it's best. We are big fans of their Masala fish, chicken ginger and lamb curry. Last night we visited and when we left we forgot a very sentimentally prised item behind. It was a good few hours later before we realised, but when we called the restaurant they had found it and put it in a safe place for us. We picked it up tonight and all the staff were curious about the item. It is good to know that something that could have been thrown in the bin as rubbish was kept safe, this in my mind shows a restaurant that cares about the little things that are important to their clients. Thank you to all the staff at the Mangla! We will be going there for many more years!!!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank marierouge2002
“Simply the best”
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Went to Mangla last night with my girlfriend around 8pm it was busy but got a table straight away was given popodoms as soon we sat Down my girlfriend asked the waiter to recommend a good starter he recommended mix grill for 2 best starter I ever had the fish was out of this world. We had the kingprawn karhi and chi ginger for mains with rice and a cheese chille nan very tasty and with great authentic flavour and it only cost £25.we couldn't belive it when we got the bill. The quality was great the service was quick and good even though I only saw three waiters serving around 50 people Mangla really is the best in town and I will be back again next week.