“I can understand the mixed reviews as the food is quite authentic”
Review of Mangla

Mangla
Ranked #487 of 1,483 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I'm not going to beat about the bush on this one. By my (albeit single so far) experience you're not going to be welcomed at the door and whisked to a white tablecloth with crystal glasses and then read the menu for half an hour. Then again, you're not going to be reading the bill for half an hour at the end of the meal either. Nor will you be regretting your visit!

What you are going to get is some very authentic food or, if you prefer, the more usual "curry house after the pub" dishes. All of which makes this place great for mixed parties of people who want some authenticity but also more Westernised dish options too.

For example I asked if they had any curries "on the bone". That's normally greeted with a "not in England Sir" but here was greeted with, "sorry we only have a mutton on the bone curry in the pan tonight". It wasn't on the menu (at least I couldn't see it), and we Brits need to start trying curry on the bone as it's (almost always) better. It was very very good. This one was great (plenty of marrow left in the big bones). What's more, some of the rest of the party tried it and were happy too (maybe I'll convert them). I was happy with what they ordered as well (the house special curry with mince and with egg was particularly nice).

As mentioned above the decor is half-way between white-tabled cafe and restaurant (leaning more towards cafe) but do you really want to pay for a lit candle when you want a good curry? So, don't come with "ambience" expectations unless you want a "busy down-to-earth asian white-decorated open kitchen" ambience. In which case your expectations are set perfectly.

The best recommendation I can give is that I'm going back (tonight) and can't wait... Could be busy though given we've just seen the back of Eid (at the time of writing)...

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've been going to Mangla for over a decade, and while it was always a little rough and ready, I loved the food and the price. Last night I visited with my partner and I was shocked. Dirty plates left strewn over the tables, food all over the floor, a waiter who SHOUTED at me across the restaurant to say my table was ready and poor quality food. The best Indian restaurant in Sheffield? Not even close.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have been a regular at the mangla for 20 years but sadly, I won't be going back. Over the last year I have found the staff have become more surly and arrogant. The food has increasingly been to oily and I feel very dehydrated the next day due to the amount of salt they use. The last straw, however, was the take-away which is normally £20 but I was asked for £27. I asked to see the bill - was told it was in the car - I asked to see it - then was told it could not be found so we were at a stalemate and I said I would not pay the price quoted. I eventually got the meal (for £25 ) but it left a 'sour-taste' all round. There are better curry houses to go to. The Mangla needs to take note and have a re-think!

1  Thank curry e
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have been visiting many different restaurants in sheffield moslty indian i highly recommend the mangla.. food is delicious my personal favourite is the chicken mangla my god it is such a nice meal also to top it all off it was very cheap the atmosphere is great ive ordered on phone a few times and i can say it is simple and easy because they deliver very quickly and the food is amazing one thing i have to say is the starters such as onion bajis are delicous they are hot an realply crisp overall my favourite restaurant in sheffield would be the mangla its worth a visit!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have visited the mangla on many occasions, for what can normally can be described as a "cheap and cheerful" dining experience, ie "reasonably priced indian cuisine". Unfortunately i will no longer be using them as my preferred "indian" eatery, due to the apalling way that one of our party was treated recently by staff/management after an "incident" where they slipped on food left on the wooden floor. She was somewhat shaken, etc and fortunately incurred nothing but a serious sprain and bruising. If this had been an older/less able person, it could have been more serious!
The management were extremely surly inferring that she should "not have been wearing heels" etc, which is ludicrous, as to my mind/and other diners the fault lay completely with the restaurant, and lack of observation with regards to basic health and safety.
We received no form of "apology" apart from a "token gesture" bag of frozen peas to assist with the ankle (we had to ask for)...oh and knock £2 of quid off the bill for a party of four.....whoopdeedoo!
Lastly, in todays society of "where there's pain there's a claim culture" the Mangla need to seriously re- evaluate their customer service policy (currently non existant) and the fact that no establishment can afford to lose their "regulars" in current economic climate. This establishment obviously thinks its the "exception"....sadly we will be eating our indian and taking our custom elsewhere from now on.