“Always something going on”
Review of Cubana

Cubana
Ranked #23 of 1,455 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: South American, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cubana is both a Tapas restaurant and Cuban bar where live music is prominent throughout the week with DJ's and dancing at weekends. Having re-located to Leopold Square almost 3 years ago after 14 highly successful years on nearby Trippet Lane, Cubana is one of the most authentic and well respected venues in Sheffield. The decor is understated, with a theme of 'faded elegance showcasing some amazing original artwork throughout. The extensive menu combines classic Spanish tapas style dishes with South American flare and flavour. Many of the original culinary team of experienced chefs have been in place since their very first day of opening back in November 2000 and this is a major factor as to why Cubana has such a great reputation for top quality and consistently tasty food. A lively atmosphere is helped by great music and energetic presence of Sheffield's Latin community
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Always something going on”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Went to this restaurant a while back. The food was delicious, tasty and filling, and there was an amazing atmosphere as the room was filled with a salsa class and live band. Had a great time!

• Visited February 2012

• Polish first
bolton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Could be better”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant for New Year's Eve and I have to say I was pretty disappointed . I paid 32.50 per person and I ate really bad. the food was of poor quality. The menu was quite extensive , however, almost entirely vegetarian , except meatballs ,turkey and beef stew all overcooked.the food comes to our table too quick , not even time to finish the starters that the waiters carried the dishes away,after 2 minutes our mains was already on the table.we ate the mains on the same side plate,anyway that wasn't a big problem.I feel uncomfortable and under pressure during our diner because seems they wanted to kicked our asses away as soon as possible. we spend over 70.00 and we ate in 45 min!.the cocktails and the atmosphere is the only good thing about this restaurant.

“Love it!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Excellent cocktails, great vibe, food awesome, especially the seafood plates. One of the my favourite places to go in Sheffield, love it! Booking a must though at weekends, often at least a week in advance.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Medicdaisy
“Two fun evenings”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I first went to Cubanas for some late-night dancing for a friend's birthday, which was GREAT and a refreshing alternative to a club! Highly recommended and a good laugh- if I was rating Cubanas on this alone it would be 5*s!

Having enjoyed the venue so much, I took my boyfriend there to try the food mid-week. There was a really good atmosphere, welcoming, warm and efficient service, and we very much enjoyed eating with live music. Just as a note, one staff member was loudly encouraging diners to clap at the end of each song because the musicians were talented and worth seeing alone. However, after he did this a couple of times I got the impression that his opinion was that we weren't appreciating the music, which made me feel a bit uncomfortable: It's unnatural to put down a knife and fork, stop a conversation and clap every few minutes- it didn't mean that me, my (professional musician!) boyfriend and (hopefully) other diners weren't enjoying the performance!!

We tried a broad selection of tapas from the menu, with a couple of more-unusual items. I enjoyed the meal, but unfortunately it did not blow me away as much as I expected. The quality of the meat in a couple of the dishes wasn't great, and there wasn't much variation in flavour between the tomato-sauce based dishes. Having eaten tapas abroad and in other UK restaurants I would have expected it to be a bit more memorable given the reputation, but had no real complaints. As said above, the staff were friendly and very helpful.

I would happily return for a good dance or as part of a group! But would only choose to eat there again with a discounted lunch-time/early bird offer as it was tasty, but didn't stand out enough to call me back in for the evening.

• Visited November 2012
“Cubana bounces”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great atmosphere, good food (tapas), can come a bit pricey if your eyes are left to their own devices, get the waiter/waitress to advise..

Visited August 2012