“Dull, dull, dull.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moran's Restaurant - CLOSED

Moran's Restaurant
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
sheffield
“Dull, dull, dull.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

After having a Sunday dinner at Moran's I was very much so looking forward to going back. . We had great expectations. After all everyone raves about it and it is listed higher than Milestone (my favourite restaurant in Sheffield) in the Good Food Guide. Beginnings were good. Service was very good and we were welcomed nicely. Starters were also very good and we thought they promised of good mains... but the mains were dull.

I had the lamb, he had the duck. Both were well cooked (although the husband's duck was more grey than pink), but dull, mine especially. It came in a puddle of sauce - so much I could have poured it off and had a broth on the side -and just looked unappealing. There were potatoes and a bit of veg. Nothing of any creativity and nothing I won't have forgotten by next week. We constantly compared it to the Milestone and couldn't understand why the Milestone wasn't better appreciated. It didn't help that I had the best lamb dish I have EVER had at Milestone!

When the waitress took the bill my husband remarked that the starters were the best bit. She agreed and said that the chefs would be creative with the starters but that the people of Sheffield were more concerned with quantity rather than creativity in the main courses. This certainly explains the dull main courses! But I am a person of Sheffield and I demand MORE!

It's a shame because the chef has skill, but he obviously feels that he needs to accommodate those who don't appreciate creativity. It does make sense. The place was full of groups aged 40-50-60.

Morans is just a safe bet. Shame.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cat666999

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Simply the best restaurant in Sheffield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

We visited Morans last night in a party of 4 and enjoyed a great meal and evening.

The food was superbly prepared and presented, the staff were both friendly and efficient and the proprietor, Sarah, despite being heavily pregnant, was attentive to us throughout the entire evening

Sheffield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely Stuff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

I too saw Matthew Norman’s favourable 9/10 Guardian review and decided to investigate this ‘hidden gem’. Upon entering and seeing the waitresses I can see where a few of those points came from. After picking my tongue up off the floor, we sat down at the bar and were served drinks by a rather attractive young gent (yeah I appreciate male beauty as well, get over it).

Once we were seated and had the wine opened with self-confessed difficulty by the attractive young waitress, the starters arrived (“Jeez, stop going on about the waitresses!!!” – yeah all right, calm down). The food was great, from my ever so slightly under-seasoned potted rabbit through to my buttery-soft calves’ liver and finally to the once in a lifetime taste of a star anise panna cotta. The portion sizes were absolutely perfect with a generous amount of gravy (jus?) on each plate. Well, we are in Yorkshire aren’t we? A couple of diners had a minor complaint about overly creamy sauces which didn’t quite marry with sharper tasting gravy. However, one of the same diners said that she had the best desert she’s ever had: crème brûlée. Of course there was no way for me to clarify this as I was not even granted a spoonful.

The service throughout the night was also spot-on; efficient and attentive but never intrusive. The atmosphere was also nice but as is often the case in such small venues, the tables and bar seating could have been better laid out.

All in all I had a lovely evening. As a well travelled and seasoned gourmand, I’ve eaten in some of the finest restaurants in and around the Millhouses area and can conclude that the food was very, very good. I don’t think there’s quite a Michelin star on the way yet, as I’m not sure how the Michelin judging panel favours restaurants that share a building with a mountain bike shop, but it deserves a nod.

Did I mention the waitresses?

Norwich, United Kingdom
“The perfect dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

Dined here for a family celebration.
The restaurant has an unstuffy, friendly feel. While it isn't noisy, it does have a real buzz. We were warmly welcomed by a very attentive and well-trained member of staff who waited on us for the rest of the evening. The menu was interesting and varied and the food undoubtedly the best we have eaten in a very long time. It is also worth noting that the amount we were given at each course was exactly right and none of us left the table hungry.
Really superb restaurant with amazing food and wonderful happy staff.

sheffield
“Fabulous....full stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

Food delicious, atmosphere great and lovely friendly, smiley staff!
My favourite place!