“Fantastic Sunday lunch”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
sheffield
“Fantastic Sunday lunch”
Reviewed October 11, 2009

5 of us went to Moran's for Sunday lunch today. Was great value at 3 courses for £20.

Reasonably varied menu including starters of mussels, battered cod fillet, bacon & black pudding salad, ham terrine and a mozzarella salad. They each looked stunning. Perfectly formed and decent portions too.

Pretty standard Sunday lunch fare for main - choice of lamb, pork, beef, fish or veggie. We had 2 lamb, 2 beef and 1 fish (plaice). The meat was cooked perfectly - on the rarer side. There was plenty of veg to share and the Yorkshire puddings were huge. The plaice was good too, although I think my husband, who ordered it, was a bit jealous of the rest of us with our enormous plates of meat!

Desserts were also very good and well presented. The Chocolate and cherry cheesecake was good, the Irish coffee tart was better and the cheeses were as you would expect them to be.

Drinks were good. Had a nice rioja and a pino grigio. Reasonably priced and less than £20 each. They was also house wine for around £14.

The decor, given the location of the place (next to a garden nursery and an insolvency practitioners), was surprisingly good. Very modern, but warming. Staff were attentive, but not in the way.

As I have said, the Sunday lunch was excellent value at £20 - you can also have 2 courses for about £15/16. I will go back, perhaps on a Saturday night to eat from the standard dinner menu.

1 Thank cat666999

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good food let down by rude proprietor”
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We too were taken in by the glowing review in The Guardian of this eatery.

Had a good meal, where the service was a little slow, it took over three hours from start to finish for a three course meal.

There was an issue with the port (it was clearly the end of the bottle), so having struggled to catch someone's eye to bring this to their attention, we decided we would point it out once we asked for the bill. To a long story short, the proprietor managed to twist my disappointment in the state of the port, to me being rude, and persisted on telling me and my wife this - we did get the meal for free - despite offering to pay. In the end I suspect that by giving us the meal for free that the owner felt that gave her licence to call me what she wanted.

We are still bemused at how a small issue over a glass of port escalated so quickly. In the end it did ruin our night out regardless of having a free meal.

Save your money and go else where.

2 Thank Shefnumpty
London, United Kingdom
“Mean portions, won't rush back”
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We went to Moran's for lunch on the strength of a review in the Guardian with high hopes, but unfortunately we left disappointed, principally because the portions were so stingy! I started with a Roquefort souffle, which was feather light with no trace of Roquefort, and was in any case was overwhelmed by a way-too-sweet dressing featuring soggy walnuts. My wife's 'main' dish was a nicely creamy, well executed mushroom risotto - though it did include some wispy strands of something unidentifiable, presumably reflecting a lack of care in cleaning the girolles. I had a miniature roast chicken breast with peas and a few little herb gnocchi - not enough sadly to soak up the jus. Both dishes were tasty but given the price there just wasn't enough! The risotto in particular was starter sized. Surely it wouldn't cost much to serve a bit more, or at least include some carbohydrate on the side? We mentioned our disappointment to the proprietor, who seemed unconcerned and replied that we could have ordered a side dish. Hence we skipped dessert and coffee and left feeling ripped off. I hope Moran's take note of these comments because with a little more generosity in the kitchen it could be a far more enjoyable experience.

1 Thank Rasterberry
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Very nice food, nice place for a romantic afternoon lunch!”
Reviewed June 2, 2009

Very nice food, nice place for a romantic afternoon lunch!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook