“Valentine night food”

Moran's Restaurant
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We visited with 2 friends and thoroughly enjoyed the food, relaxed atmosphere, service etc., The restaraunt is a real gem and worth visiting at any time - providing you book well in advance

sarahmoran, Owner at Moran's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

There are newer reviews for Moran's Restaurant

Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you are a vegetarian or like to eat vegetarian food for a change give this place a miss.
Most good restaurants in Sheffield and Derbyshire have a menu with 2/3 vegetarian choices and the chefs are normally quite pleased to cook something different on the night for you. At Morans the menu had one vegetarian choice only---butternut squash risotto and two vegetarian starters which were butternut squash soup and the ubiquitous goat's cheese.When enquiring if there was any other vegetarian options I am asked "do you eat fish"---where do these people come from?
The waitress on returning from the kitchen tells me the chef could cook me asparagus with a poached egg on top---this for a main meal from a supposed chef.
I finally received a small vegetarian lasagne which was just ok at best.
We were never asked how everything was until we had paid and were leaving,
Vegetarian or not I suggest you give this place a miss as there are far more accommodating restaurants in and around Sheffield with chefs who have some imagination in their cooking skills.

3  Thank VeggieSheffield

I do not usually respond to tripadvisor reviews as i like the fact that future customers can decide on our restaurant from all the reviews, both positive and negetive. however I really feel that this paticular review needs a response, mainly due to the both arragant and ignorant comment, 'where do these people come from'. the answer is simple, we come from a 25 year backround in catering where some customers that describe themselves as vegetarians later go on to state that they eat fish or chicken or both. we, over the seven years that we have been operating at morans have often had customers that have expressed a wish to have something other than what is on the menu for various reasons and have always done whatever we could to provide satisfactory alternatives. we have rarely failed in this respect. However for us to provide said alternative we must at least have some productive feedback from the customer to establish what they would like. unfortunately from this customer all we got was snide comments and rudeness. bearing in mind that it was a saturday night and I had 70 other customers to cater for I still made fresh pasta to make the lasagne and I am sorry if this fell short of expectations, I am a chef and I can take criticism for my cooking, however I do not pay my staff enough to deal with the sort of bad manners that this customer displayed. if perhaps this customer showed some of the empathy he feels for animals to his fellow human beings, their evening would have gone a great deal better than it did. many apologies again for the poor lasagne. Bryan Moran

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Met up for a friends retirement dinner. Staff were very friendly and ensured we well looked after from the minute we arrived. Restaurant was very busy however food and service was excellent. Very knowledgeable waiters explained items on the menu, helped us choose our wine. Was left alone to enjoy each course with a reasonable break between each. The last time I visited this venue was years ago when under a different name, was as good as I remember. Had a great night out, will most certainly go again and based on our experience, would recommend a visit.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Plenty of choice, good value midweek menu with plenty of variety, great puds, pleasant wine by the glass, friendly service, not rushed. Fab.

1  Thank IanSheffield
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were visiting family nearby and Moran's was close to both family and the hotel we were staying in (Beauchief). We arrived slightly early for our booking and enjoyed a drink at the bar before moving to our table. For starters I had salmon and he had mackerel. My fish was perfectly cooked and the accompaniments were tasty. His was even better, a lovely smoked pepper dish with the mackerel and a caper garnish. Mains were duck and lentils for me and lamb for him. Both were delicious, meat was pink and tender. We greedily ordered some chips as well but really didn't need them. Desserts looked amazing but we shared a cheese platter which had home made oatcakes which helped us polish off our very reasonably priced bottle of house red. Service was lovely, and there was a great atmosphere, lots of chat from other tables and low lighting. Food of this quality can often be provided in more austere or formal restaurants, not the case at all with Moran's. Lucky Sheffield!