“Excellent food and a friendly atmosphere”
Review of La Scala

La Scala
Ranked #142 of 1,546 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I visited La Scala restaurant last night with a couple of colleagues and I have to say we had a lovely evening. I have been there before and I am always really impressed by the quality of food, value for money and friendly service. I do tend to order the same food when I go, seafood pancakes and whitebait - but it is always very tasty. I would certainly go back again.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We we to la scala for our anniversary, wanted somewhere with a nice atmosphere, romantic. Was a cold cafeteria like space, we were stuck in a corner behind a large table and needed to get up everytime anyone wanted to leave the table. Staff were unfriendly and looked like they didn't want to be there. Had to keep asking for a second drink. The food was disapointing, a calzone which was more bread than filling and a rubbery pasta with no sauce.

4  Thank barlybum
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Not expensive, good service, everything I want when I go out. No silly pretensions, ask for water, the wines are fine, the position is a bit awkward for parking, you'll have to park near the pub opposite and walk, it can feel a bit cramped inside, even though there's plenty of room, so not 5 out of 5.

Don't go to Milanos' next door by mistake, that's a much more upmarket place in every way. If you're out for a superb dining experience and price to match, you'll probably go there instead.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

This is a local family run restaurant. The menu is quite extensive but the "blackboard/special" menu is exceptional. Tonight I had the excellent swordfish in garlic at a most reasonable price.
The wine list is very good and competitively priced with most being "estate" wines.
The decor is appropriate for the name and the atmosphere can be intimate depending of course who you are with! It can be lively on Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays but may be quiet early in the week. The basement restaurant is ideal for "parties" to celebrate whatever.
The owner is very friendly and outgoing and really enjoys the company of his clientele, which includes members of the Judiciary, Legal, Medical and all the other professions. The staff are attentive and very helpful. Nothing is too much trouble for them and if time permits the owner is more than wiling to engage in entertaining conversation and banter.
There is no doubt that you will pay substantially more in similar restaurants and where the food will be nowhere near as good.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Having visited La Scala 10 plus years ago , and the been very unimpressed, we decided everybody should have a second chance, ! Well its back on the list.
Lovely food , lovely staff, attentive but not intrusive, Great atmosphere, and being near home, easy for us to get to. Its not a flash place, just a good Italian.
Shame its not a bring your own wine.