“Wonderful treat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Artisan - CLOSED

Artisan
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Wonderful treat.”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I've now been twice to Artisan and both times I have had some of the best food I've ever had. The homemade black pudding is not only delicious, but really inventive and cleverly presented too. I also enjoy that they serve bread before the meal, but not just a basket of it. We had 2 different kinds of bread, both of which were fantastically delicious.
My main course was the tasting of pork. When it arrived I was blown away by the dish. Really well presented and the variation in the pork made my mouth water. The dish was deceptively large. I though I'd tuck it all away pretty easily but was left without being able to quite finish it. The second time I went I had one of the steaks which was cooked perfectly. The steak, to be honest, was probably better value due to the fact you get 4 sides inclusive. I'd recommend the sauté potatoes and chorizo as a side.
As a warning, this is definitely a neighbourhood restaurant, so the atmosphere really varies depending on the night. During the week, expect the place to not be busy and fairly quiet inside. However, this is quite nice as the service really shines on the quiet nights. The last time we went we had to book for a friday night and it was packed. Really vibrant atmosphere and you could feel the buzz in the air.
There aren't many tables so some of them looked a bit cramped, but our's was perfect.

All in all, a wonderful local restaurant, serving inventive British food for a fairly reasonable price.

• Visited January 2014

“Nice treat”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We went here for a special meal. The restaurant is nice but a bit cramped. If you have a choice don't sit on the seats on the sides of the room, they are too low for the tables. Plus it was really cold in there.
We had nibbles to start, olives bread and piggy bites. The piggy bites were amazing
We then had the Chateaubriand this came with standard steak side but the waitress let us swap these so we had the cauliflower cheese, spinach and potato's with chorizo and had the port and Stilton sauce. The sauce was poor sauce with chunks of cold Stilton. The steak was cooked well, however it was one of the smaller ones we have had.
We didn't have a pudding mainly because it was so cold in there.
Service is spot on, efficient and polite.
Parking is a bit of a pain too.
Would we go again. Yes but not in a hurry. There are better places for Chateaubriand.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Sunday lunch ever !”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We all ordered different roasts I orders turkey Which was delicious my mum orders the pork me which she said was juicy with crackling and Hearl ordered the beef which he said perfectly pink and tender. For are starters Hearl and my mum had prawn cocktail which was nice and my soup was pars tip and honey and that was absolutely gorgeous , but we all would have preferred to sit in the main dining room. Overall an fantastic Sunday lunch !

• Visited January 2013
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday lunch”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I took my student son and six of his housemates out for lunch as they are in the midst of revising for exams. We all had the three course set Sunday lunch menu. The food was excellent and the service was friendly and attentive. The roast beef was pink in the middle and beautifully tender and the Yorkshire puds were amazing. I had the Black Pudding starter and it was delicious as was the strawberry pudding, the sticky toffee pudding looked amazing too.

We'll be back.

• Visited November 2013
“Excellent!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have been to Artisan on a few occasions in it's different guises. I enjoyed 'Smiths', 'Thyme' and Artisan is equally as good! Well done and keep up the good work!

Visited July 2013