“Fobbed off with burnt offering”
Review of Nirmal - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Called in here, was quite busy and had a fairly good meal, unfortunately had to send back food that was burnt underneath, so spoilt what may have been a pleasant experience.

1  Thank WestIndies396

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Not knowing the Sheffield area, we decided to try this Indian Restaurant after having a little walk around to find somewhere to eat. I didn't have a good vibe about the place including the look and not many people being inside. With my wife being pregnant she really didnt want to be walking around any longer. When we first arrived we were brought 2 poppadoms each, we weren't asked they were just brought to us - our bill at the end showed we were charged £3.80p for. I asked for a lemonade for my wife and a pint of cobra for myself, we were told that I coundnt have a pint so would bring me 2 bottles and charge for a pint. They brought us a pint of lemonade for my wife which they charged us £3 for and on the bill at the end they had charged me £7 for my cobra. When ordering food my wife went for a shami kebab, chicken balti main with boiled rice and I went for mixed kebab but when I asked for a chicken tikka jalfrezy were told that they dont do Jalfrezy (even though menu said they do) and all of a sudden the waiter pulled out a small chalk board with names of currys that I had never heard but more remarkably without any prices on. He pointed to the top of the chalk board and said you woukd like this one because its very similar to chicken tikka jalfrezy. I ordered mushroom rice plus we ordered a garlic nan, keema nan and a portion of chips.
When the starter's came the food on my plate and on my wifes plate lookes like it had been cooked all the same way in a cheap kitchen deep fryer, it reminded of an episode of the Simpson s where Mo deep frys everything in the same basket. The chick pea sauce that came with Iit was cold and the food was disgusting that after just one bite my wife left hers. Before our main meal came out the table behind us got served with chicken tikka jalfrezy bizarrely. When our mains came out my curry was lamb and tasted like a cheap stew and was not hot or spicy then my wife's chicken balti was not a chicken balti which she pointed out to them but they insisted it was so would not change it. Both the keema nan & garlic nan both came out plain, again this something we pointed out and they insisted thats what we ordered and were told if we wanted different nans they would charge us extra. The chips tasted liked they were cooked with our starter's, they had exactly the same minging taste. My wife had one mouthful of her "chicken balti" and me if my lamb stew. All tge food was wrong and tasted disgusting. The only thing they git right was the disgusting starters. We had totally had enough of the service and quality of the food that after one mouthful of our mains we decided we wanted to leave but after complaining about the food they were very insistant that we paid for the food. The bill came to £62 what a rip off. They had charged £11.95 for the disgusting lamd stew that was supposed to be their equivalent of a chicken tikka jalfrezy and then charged us a £5.50p service charge. This place is disgusting and rip you off. Please please avoid this place

5  Thank Gogonapa
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I visited this restaurant on a recent visit to Shefield and was amazed at the quality of the food. The decor is poor but dont be put off as the food is well worth it. The restaurant is what I would describe as an old fashioned indian restaurant, run by authentic indian family who dont try too hard.

We went for the house speciality lamb dish which we were told had won awards and I must say it was excellent and like nothing Ive tasted before. The service was slow but friendly. The meal with drinks worked out to £20 per head which was ok.

I can see why the restaurant attracts the diverse range of reviews from customers as it wont be to everyone's taste. I wouldnt go there for a buisness meal and I would think twice about recommending it to a lot of people but I will definitely return.

1  Thank celtic59
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My partner and I were visiting Sheffield on Saturday 10th August and decided to head out to dinner. We were hoping to go somewhere unique to Sheffield and not somewhere we could visit at home so bypassed all of the usual high-street restaurants. I think this was a mistake on our part, as in high street chain restaurants at least you know what quality/ cleanliness to expect and how much you would be charged.

We came across Nirmals and as we both were fancying spicy food headed in. The husband and wife team welcomed us and sat us at a table. The decor is circa 1980s and is therefore probably older than me. The toilets were a metre from our table so we had a constant traffic of people past our table to the loo. A gentleman coming out pulling up his fly is not what I want whilst eating my dinner!

Also the table in the corner of the room is the owners 'office'. The table was littered with papers, bills, and junk. The wife sits here throughout the evening and was within ear shot of our table (we were the table closest to her), very off putting. Throughout the night she kept making comments to us whilst she sat by our table.

I'm not sure whether its the wifes age or weight but she came huffing over to use and leaned on the table to take our order. We order 2 poppadoms, 2 starters, 2 curries, 1 rice, 2 nanns and 2 cokes. She didnt write it down and when sat back at her 'office' table asked us again some aspects of our order she had forgot.

The poppadoms were good and the chutneys were really tasty, There were some new chutneys I hadn't tried before so no complaints here.

The starter we ordered was a prawn puri each. Now we have this normally when we have indian food and what arrived at our table was tasty but not a prawn puri. We are originally from Leicester, which has a large population of Indians. From eating in several Indian ran restaurants in Leicester, frequented by the locals and always getting a prawn puri that kind of resembled the same dish I think Nirmals just cobbled together whatever they had in the kitchen and presented it to us. I'm sure not all of the indian restuarants we have ate in previously have given us the wrong dish. The puri bread we was served was very sweet and the prawn 'curry' rather than being spicy and tomato based was a prawn korma. I kid you not. It was actually prawn korma. Nice but the complete opposite of what we had ordered or expected.

Our mains were ok. I ordered the chicken tikka 'sizzler'. This was served on a sizzling dish. The onions were black like charcoal and only a quarter of them were edible. The chicken on the top however was fantastic. My partners prawn balti was average. The nanns were dry and quite small. The rice was a good sized portion to share and was ok.

My and partner and I tried to guess how much our bill would be. We thought £30-40. It was just over £50 when it arrived. We couldnt beleive it. We love indian food and this was actually the 3rd Saturday night in a row we had gone to an Indian. This was the most expensive and the least appertising. I also swear my chicken tikka sizzler was £7.95 on the menu and not the £9.95 on the bill!

Overall the food was average, the decor and service were poor, I would never return. Shame!

2  Thank Lucy F
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Went for a lovely meal with my husband, had 2 cokes, 3 popadom a chicken tikka starter to share ( forced on us) 2 currys ( forced on us) 1 rice and 1 nan £52, ok let's work out the bill!!! Erm 2 x cokes £5, poppadom and pickle £3.00,starter to share £8.00 ,1 rice £2.00 1 nan £2.00 that equals £20 so our curry dish was 16.00 each robbed should have had a breakdown of the bill

Needs reporting !!!
She is more like mrs Robin hood not nirmal !!!

4  Thank Sarahbaz07