“local recommendation”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2013

excellent food and service reasonable prices and spent a while chatting to the owners who pride themselves in working hard to achieve the best for there customers
also had the best mange i have ever tasted for dessert was hoping to go back next night but had to change due to visiting friends we will be back though

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I ordered a Chicken Balti, they did ask how would I like it I said medium. It seemed to be a very long wait until the food was placed on the table I reckon about 45 minutes. It was quite a small portion and although it did taste good it wasn't spicy enough, I didn't bother saying that I want the balti hot as I thought that restaurants do usually cook curries much more spicier than say pub and microwavable curries. Lets just say that if I said mild It probably would not have been spicy at all. For a medium balti it was very mild, but again it was nice. The naan bread was also small (compared to other places).

My friend very much enjoyed what he had and he said that he would be going back here, but i'm undecided but if I did go back I would choose something different maybe a madras.

There was also a £3 charge for the service charge, when we were waiting they put down 2 small starters, one being chopped onions (with an added herb) we did not ask for these, and thought it was rather cheeky of them for even charging us with it, but looking at other reviews for Nirmals they seem to do it with everyone.

If you do go here and want something rather spicy I would get something a tad hotter than what you usually go for.

(I have copied this review from QYPE - so there are no pics)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Good flavoured food. Tastes authentic. Passes this critics pallet test. Makes a change from all the pretend Indian restaurants from people from countries neaighbouring.

2  Thank viperbite123
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Surprised by the tone of the preceding reviews on here. I ate here late one night, and had a perfectly acceptable, if not exciting meal. Having spent half an hour walking round Sheffield city centre looking for something other than a kebab, I was very pleased with what I got - but it wasn't particularly exciting. I didn't think it was expensive for what it was.

1  Thank Gordon W
Reviewed March 23, 2013

So, we arrive outside Nirmal and look on the menu outside. Looks ok, so we walk in. No one appeared to be in there.
First we were told to hang our coats up ourselves in a room next to the restaurant. We walked into the room and the only word I can think of to describe it is a hovel.
The owner (I presume) walked up to us in a very revealing crop top and skirt on with her stomach hanging out.. Which clearly didn't go well when it was hanging out in front of my face. Anyway, she asks us how many poppadom's we want, so said a couple each. The waiter (husband I presume) walked over to what looked like a bar and reached down into a cupboard, to which I turned round and discovered the poppadom's were stacked inside. The chutneys etc were already out on the tables, which is very unhygienic but the mango chutney was ok.
The man then asked us for drinks, one Malibu and coke, one coke and one jug of water. It took him 20 minutes for him to do this.
The woman (who was sitting on the table next to us) asks us if we want to order. We said yes to which she then replied "ok, come over here". WE HAD TO GO TO HER!!!
We then ordered and 10 mins later she shouts over and asks if we like onion bahji's to which we all replied yes. She then asked us if we want some as the CHEF HADNT ARRIVED YET!! What?!?!? Thinking they'd be free, because the chef hadn't arrived and was their fault, we said yeah why not. Later, the chef walks in.
Anyway, time went on and the food comes out. I ordered a masala which was a disgusting brown piece if slosh with chicken that looked as if it had been picked at before hand..and microwaved. I also had a peshwari nan which was as dry as Ghandi's flip flop. The 'coconut' looked like porridge oats and there sultanas were black and dry.
Rice was the best part, most probably uncle bens microwave rice.
Anyway, the bill comes and altogether cost £56 for 3 meals. We couldn't understand her writing so asked her to break it down and ask why it cost so much. She had added a £10 service charge. WHAT SERVICE?! So I instantly said I wanted that off. She then worked it out between the 3 of us and rounded it up to a random figure. £11, £14 and £20 for each person... How she worked this out I do not know.
Anyway, we have to walk over to the 'bar' to use our cards which took a good while, as he had no clue what he was doing, so ended up doing it ourselves.
I then picked our coats up from the next room and walked out.

Safe to say, we wil never go to this "restaurant" again.

2  Thank Em H