“disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Damon's
Ranked #316 of 1,417 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Damon's is a great family restaurant serving English and American cuisine from Fish and Chips to Lobster. Enjoy our famous signature dishes, our Onion Loaf starter and our succulent Damons ribs, we have a wide range of Cocktails and Mocktails all to be enjoyed with a classic American Vibe. We have a wide range of year round promotions including Kids eat free - Monday to Saturday 12-6p.m., O.A.P. discount- 12-6p.m. Monday to Friday, Cocktail Time-Half price cocktails and house wines plus 25% off soft drinks Monday to Friday, An Early Dinner combo special 12-6 Monday to Saturday and of course the Birthday promotion-Receive a free main course, dessert and a birthday card entitling you to 30% off your next visit on yours and a guests main meals. Don't forget to make sure your waiter/waitress sings to you on your birthday, our wait staff will happily embarrass your loved ones on their special day. Please ensure you bring Identification to show it is your birthday and your birthday does need to be on the day of your birthday. Please book to avoid disappointment. From all at Damons Sheffield, we sincerely hope you enjoy your visit.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

feel:

music waaaay to loud couldnt hear our table talking to one another, even the staff commented the music was too loud.

felt rushed to order rushed to eat rushed to pay and leave not really by the staff but a general feeling created by all factors i assume.

staff:

did there jobs i suppose but never smiled or made eye contact and sempt almost annoyed when ask for more info

drinks:

expensive and i had rose wine which was warm and better still was given in a warm glass

food:

horrid to be honest. me and my partner ordered t-bone steak and was pretty much fat and gristle staff did come round and ask if everything was ok once and that was just as mine had been placed infront of me and it looked ok never came round again or if they did i didnt hear them over the music. there was 12 of us and half our table didnt recieve there sides till halfway through eating our mains the other half never recived them at all! had to ask for clean cutlery when we sat down as some of ours had chunks of dried food on them. brother ordered a burger but requested it minus salad and was told no when he disupted this he was told the waiter couldnt tell the chef that hed go mad but my brother insisted the waiter said i tell you what ill order a normal one and ill take the salad off for you before i bring it to you to which bro said so your going to finger my food i dont think so bring it whole ill pick it off! presentations slap dash. at least the ribs were nice but alot smaller than i remember and very little meat on them and that much sauce on them it was sickly so scrapped some off.

the sheer volume of people squeezed into a circular room was rediculous and totally unnessasary, felt we were on top of each other and intruding on other tables private space just walking to the loo i must of sed oh sorry over ten times, so on way back i took the long route back to table via wider walk ways which of course staff use so i nearly got a face full of someones steak at high speed on one trip and got my drink knocked out of my hand on a visit to the bar(which was replaced and apologies made)just a stupid lay out.omg the birthday cake they give you when its your bithday is tiny and rank used to be a proper sized cake and was lush we through ours away so bad.

i remember when Damons first opened we loved it and it was only down the road. i personally loved the 50sish styling and the loos of all things were loverly. as far as i can tell it hasnt changed since opening and it tired and old, sticky carpets, worn torn seat, cracked tiles in loo and unclean feel been in some nicer public loos to be honest. if it has been redone they need serious words with decorators

very dispapointed it used to be "yay were going to damons, love it there" now its "now its urgh do we have to go damons? cant we go......(soulville steakhouse, chesterfield a fav of mine now)...... instead"

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank hrbligh

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Birthday meal not to remember!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Well, we've just been to Damon's tonight and I must say it isn't like it used to be at all. The wait staff were inattentive, we were made to feel second best in favour of larger parties rather than my party of two, we were given our starters before any of our drinks arrived and had to chase the drinks up but these still took five minutes to arrive. We were offered bread and accepted but none arrived and to top it all off when asking for the bill, that took a good 15 minutes to arrive and we were then left for a further twenty minutes despite placing our method of payment on top of the bill as soon as it was presented.
The cake we were offered has become increasingly smaller over the last few years and it also had an expiry of today's date which, after all the food eaten tonight means it will be best left out for the birds.
The food was excellent as always however the rest of the evening left a very sour taste in my mouth.
The wait staff were all young student types and could most definitely benefit from someone with a bit more experience on the team.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Catie B
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was in a party of five for a celebration .The service and food was excellent.some of the bar staff seemed to be lacking in interest so I fetched a drink myself from the bar at one time to find the staff chatting,but the young assistant who looked after us was very good.I always enjoy it here because the food tastes so good you cannot get it anywhere else that tastes as good.I will return as soon as is convenient ,loved it .

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fliss1960
Derbyshire, England
“Damon's Sheffield”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Damon's is a bit of a strange place. Some people will like it, others will hate it. First impression is that the place itself reminds me of a 1980's nightclub, but without a dance floor. It was incredibly busy and we were in a large party of 13. The service was pretty much as expected for such a large party and lots of other busy tables with large parties too. Damon's could be regarded as an alternative to a Frankie and Benny's / TGI Fridays, that kind of thing. It's not somewhere to go for a special night out. But it is fine for a large family and friends get together. Menu is pretty much all american ribs/chicken/steaks/shrimp. I had Lobster tail with Ribs and was pleasantly surprised. It was better than I expected. I didn't think it was over priced either. All in all, I thought Damon's was OK. It's not trying to be fancy, it's not trying to push the boundaries of fine cuisine. It's just trying to give you and your family a decent meal without any fuss.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Over priced, noisey and disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I recently went here at the weekend. We had booked a table as we were a rather large group. We finally sat down 1.5 hours after the original booking time and was offered onion loaf to make up for the wait.
I had high expectations as I had heard good things about the place, but once I got inside I was disappointed. The decor is very dated and they have a strange annoucning system. The tables are quite close together meaning that you struggle to get in and out to the bar and the room is very loud.
Once we were sat at the table the service was very swift. But the menu is extensive and slightly complicated to understand.
I had the steak with mash potatoes (1 scoop of) and coleslaw. It was nice but you don't get much for £17.
We had brought our own cake for a birthday celebration and handed to the waitress who subsequently lost it and we had to go into thr kitchen with them to find it!
Will definatley not be going back anytime soon. Bar and food far too expensive for what is on offer.

• Visited February 2013